11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: good weight/minute recs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elias Khalil
Qatar
flag msg tools
Check out our Podcast (Tabletop Sessions), Instagram (@tabletopsessions), and Twitter (@ttsessionsqa)
badge
Check out our Podcast (Tabletop Sessions), Instagram (@tabletopsessions), and Twitter (@ttsessionsqa)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would've suggested Pax Renaissance or Pax Porfiriana but they both come in at about 120 minutes.
I might suggest In The Year of the Dragon (under 60mins with 3 players)- (3.13x100)/60= 5.21
or
Nippon which takes under 90 minutes with 2 players- (3.75x100)/90= 4.16

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I find this fascinating, but I'm not sure a simple formula is going to produce meaningful results. Tic-Tac-Toe is weight 1.11 and takes 1 minute for a score of 111, so that makes it... good?

I did a quick calculation on my collection in Excel and came up with the following top and bottom results. Magic the Gathering has the most weight per minute, and therefore...most headaches per second?

GAME WEIGHT TIME SCORE
1. Magic: the Gathering 3.14 20 15.72
2. Siam 2.31 15 15.41
3. Escape: Curse of... 1.48 10 14.80
4. Hive 2.34 20 11.70
5. Star Realms 1.97 20 9.85
586. M'44: Audie Murphy 1.75 240 0.729
587. Victory at Sea 2.37 360 0.659
588. Killer 2.15 360 0.598
589. Rise...Third Reich 4.29 1440 0.298
590. World in Flames 4.6 6000 0.076

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Town Center (fourth edition)

(3.28x100)/30= 10.9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:

This may not be the style of game you are looking for (since you mentioned Scythe and Concordia), but I agree with the recommendation. It has a lot of weight for such a quick game (and works well with 2 players).

Another one to consider is The Walled City: Londonderry & Borderlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
You might be able to get Tigris & Euphrates down to an hour with two players who know what they're doing and don't have AP.

Also, a sequel, Yellow & Yangtze, is coming out this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yajeflow wrote:
i dug around a bit more and found a way to filter out games. i set a minimum of 3.75 weight, at least 30 people rating a game (i saw some significant small sample size issues), and then ended up doing an average time (30 to 60 = 45 average).

Yeah, the advanced search is definitely useful. An even easier way to find a list of good, short, heavy games for 2 is to click this link, scroll down to the Heavy games under "Best with 2", and look for games with the right length. You can scroll down a little further under "Recommended with 2" for even more options. (You'll note Concordia is listed as a Heavy game Recommended with 2.)

If you like that list, don't thank me, thank
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yajeflow wrote:
i wish i knew how you got yours to line up properly on here. grrrr.

Easiest way is to select the text you want to line up nicely, and click the [ c ] button on the formatting menu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Vast: The Crystal Caverns scores 4.55 (weight: 3.41, time: 75 min)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.