Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter with the Cosmic Dominion expansion found its way to my collection through my first trade. It was actually not a math trade like most of mine have been. I reached out to someone on BGG who wanted Dead of Winter, and he had Cosmic Encounter. I traded Dead of Winter and $15 for Cosmic Encounter with expansion and Bang the Dice Game. Again I might take some flak for this, but I absolutely despise Dead of Winter. I gave it several chances even after I knew I didn’t like it. I just can’t do it. It’s one of the only games I would actually say no to regardless of the situation. I just don’t have 2+ hours to waste on that game.

So to make this trade for Tom Vasel’s number one game of all time I was pumped… Even though I rarely have more than two to three people and I my wife probably would not enjoy the game… And she doesn’t. And I’ve only gotten 5 plays since September 2016. Ohhh, it was so worth it though.

Now let me just say, I don’t think Cosmic Encounter is the greatest game ever. Really it is a game that is highly reliant on the group. This one could easily be a bust, and in fact two out of the 5 games I have played were mediocre. The other three were good fun, nothing amazing, but good fun. I would like to play this one more than what I do. Ideally 3-4 plays a year would be nice. The thing that I like the most is the 80+ alien powers I have to choose from. They all seem super overpowered and yet everything kind of equals out. The game play is relatively fast for what it is, but does have a few nuances that take a bit to refresh when you don’t play it that much. I don’t think this one has a super deep strategy, but it is the opportunity to try and out maneuver folks through a bit of alliances and the trickery of your powers and card management.

As I’ve stated before, I am not a big party game player. This is kind of like my party game of choice, even though it’s not really a party game. I know it’s a little longer at about an hour to an hour and thirty minutes, but it gives the feeling of a gamer’s party game. I still need some more plays of this one to really verify my feelings, but for now I think it is a fine game and I am glad to know that there has been a game this good since 1977. Just knowing that makes me want to keep this game out of respect only. The fact that the next good mainstream game that came out was HeroQuest in 1989 and then Settlers of Catan in 1995 is pretty impressive. And HeroQuest is nowhere near the game this one is even though I loved it as a child… Wait I’m getting ahead of myself, I will talk about HeroQuest later.

So could I live without Cosmic Encounter? Yeah. But I really don’t want to. I want the option of playing this game with the right group on my shelf no matter if I only get to play it every once in a while. It is a fine game, and for its age is a legend of the hobby. It was my first trade, and it was Tom Vasel’s number one game for the longest time. And that guy was instrumental in the development of my collection. I am going to keep this one for all the sentimental reasons and because it is just a good solid game that meets my party gamer needs… if I ever get to be a party gamer.

Check out my Geeklist for other games on my shelf. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Again I might take some flak for this, but I absolutely despise Dead of Winter

It is actually an unfinished bad design with game-play holes. No reason to not despise it. Peeps love it for Zombie-stuff and/or if they never played BSG or Shadows over Camleot. Hack even Betrayal is a better /game/ (and thematic fun).

Did you try other Eon games? I can wholeheartly recommend the low-rated Darkover. Borderlands is quite a good one, too. Rex was great, my Dune copy is unplayed (by me) .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Jordheim
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also enjoy Cosmic Encounter and would absolutely agree that it is a great game... but only with specific types of people (those willing to roll play and be a little shifty in their dealings).

I have found the best thing to do is actually pack this game in with another sci-if game. Then, if Imhave success with the first and the group seems right I offer up Cosmic as a, theoretically, quick follow up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jo,
My bigger issue is that I don't love social deduction games, co-ops, or traitor mechanics that much. Some are better than others and they are okay, but they are by far not my favorite mechanics. That being said, I am interested in trying Shadows over Camelot.

I have not tried any other Eon Games. I have the FFG version of Cosmic Encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with you on that Erik. You need certain people for Cosmic. My bigger problem though is I need a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.