Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Which Gods & units are best/most fun/most demanding ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Klein
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey

I soon get this game (basebox) & read some interesting unit-combinations. I plan to purchase more, if the basegame convinces me.
Im not well versed in this game, but would like to talk bout Gods first.

Aphrodite: discourages attacking her & encourages counter-attacks by her.
So gameplaywise shes good wondering around the board ? I dont
know . . . but i sure wanna posses het figure. Though her face
is not as flawless as it should be imo.

Apollo: Seems like a Combat-tank & Lyre looks to even break the game !
Is he this strong ?

Ares: An obvious fightingmachine. Though not much interest.

Artemis: Great mobility & always hits her target. A free troop on top
makes her look very flexible & mobile Godess.

Athena: The Godess from the basegame that intrigues me most ! I like
most all the options she provides. Seems to never be boring
playin with her & amazing Range.

Hecate: Apparently one of the better Gods. All 3 abilities seem very strong
at any time & doesnt even cost AoW. Crazey ?

Helios: This is the God that intrigues me the most. Hes got great stats
+ talents. His attack even manipulates opponents positionings.
But the best thang 2 me is his signature-element. The LIGHT !
I cant evaluate how useful his card-peeking is, but strippin
opponents of cards 4 every unit he pulled over seems so great !

Hermes: im on the edge with this one. The highest mobility-Unit in the game ? Should be great in Omphalos-wars. But how good is his skill to let everyone draw up to 5 ? Its probably most benefitial, if you get quicker throgh your hand-cards. I like though that he makes you think.

Persephone: Shes among my top 3 interests in Gods. Her death-triggers look absolutely strong. I like you have to work 4 it. Her othet skill is manipulating the whole board & easy accessible. Am i on point thinkin shes a grindy gameplay Godess ? Need 2 test her right now !

Zeus: Anothet God with high raw Power. Though his Patriarch-skill
appears to be very tactical & ensures you get what you want.
Cant w8 2 test him ^^

These are the Gods im mostly intetested in.
Since i dont know much bout anythang else, i cant remark further.

Do you have any recommendations on nice to play units/combinations ?

Thanx 4 readin <3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Indiveri
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few games now, and one thing for sure -

This is a card game!

The mightiest gods will simply stare at each other if you don't have the cards!

That said, the strategy is really deep. Having a clear idea and knowledge of the map to be played on is a huge deal during the Draft.

And if someone Drafts something that you wanted, you have to be ready to change your ideas on the fly.

All while managing Talents and Powers and number of AoW cards.

Good luck and happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominick Piantoni
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Artemis on a rock gives her basically full range of the board and she gets a +2 attack (rock/golden bow) and she has 5 activation cards.

Hermes he can’t be moved from his spot, so you can’t MT him off a claimed omphalos, and if you keep a low draw of cards, you can punish players on redraws with his 5 card max ability. Also has 5 activation cards.

Persephone and Tityos can straight lock a board down.

Ares is a fighter but left unguarded can be punished but he has 5 activation cards.

Zeus is strong, he blocks has huge damage and a nasty area attack, as well as card draw manipulation which is huge in this game.

Athena activating 2 other units for zero AoW cards is hugely beneficial for getting to areas you want and grabbing initial board control, or even just shifting board control.

Aphrodite is a nasty card burner, losing the ability to do maneuvers by discarding extra AoW cards can be punishing late game.

Hades you have to be aggressive but not left vulnerable to be effective even if his low health might initially make he be played more cautiously.

EDIT: gods with 5 activation cards have a huge leg up because technically played really well, you can win a game during your first card draw, if you only use God activations for absorbing.

And that’s all the gods that I have painted and have seen played. I can’t wait to get Helios and Arachne together for crazy collector chains. This game has a lot of strategy and depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hirsch
United States
Holliston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with all the gods yet, but Helios would be my top pick at the moment for an Omphalos win. He's the only god with Gem Collector, which is really useful. Also, his whip attack is really versatile.

Python combos well with a Mighty Throw buddy (and clearly with Helios, though I haven't tried it yet myself). Throw the enemy into Python's space and get a free attack.

Bellerophon and Medea was also a disgusting combo, as the -2 dice combined with Medea's healing aura practically made him invincible. However, that is a little tricky to set up because Bellerophon should be hopping around the board, so Medea can't always be in position to cover him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Klein
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanx 4 yall comments.

I got 0 interest in Hades somehow. As yall describe it, there are a damn lota decissions to make throughout all stages of the game.
If the Hype is real, i c no other way around of gettin pandoras Box to experience various combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Nurgle
Germany
flag msg tools
MonkeyD609 wrote:

Athena activating 2 other units for zero AoW cards is hugely beneficial for getting to areas you want and grabbing initial board control, or even just shifting board control.

Just to clarify because this can be misunderstood:
activating Athena and two other units for 0 AoW cards costs two AoW cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominick Piantoni
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Nurgle23 wrote:
MonkeyD609 wrote:

Just to clarify because this can be misunderstood:
activating Athena and two other units for 0 AoW cards costs two AoW cards.

Thanks, yes the power costs two AoW cards to use but second and third activation then become zero AoW for the manuerver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Lox
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mongrel wrote:
I haven't played with all the gods yet, but Helios would be my top pick at the moment for an Omphalos win. He's the only god with Gem Collector, which is really useful. Also, his whip attack is really versatile.

Python combos well with a Mighty Throw buddy (and clearly with Helios, though I haven't tried it yet myself). Throw the enemy into Python's space and get a free attack.

Bellerophon and Medea was also a disgusting combo, as the -2 dice combined with Medea's healing aura practically made him invincible. However, that is a little tricky to set up because Bellerophon should be hopping around the board, so Medea can't always be in position to cover him.

If you have access to him Hephaistos also has gem collector and while his mobility is poor (1 movement) he can be a real powerhouse with his activated ability in adjacent zones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.