Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaitlyn Morgan
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it was suggested by my psychiatrist that a keto diet could help with my anxiety and depression. My husband has also been wanting to try it for awhile for weight loss purposes. I could really benefit from that as well.

Either way, anybody have any tips or tricks on how to succeed on a keto diet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would ease into it, especially if sugar and grains are a heavy normal part of your daily routine. I would not go cold turkey. It's really shocking what happens to you when you cut out all carbs at once.

Start by having coffee black no sugar. Cut out all surgery drinks and replace with fruit infused water or tea.

Cut out pasta but allow your self a slice a pizza here and there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing paleo, which is mostly similar to Keto for several months. I must say, it has increased my energy level, lowered my weight, and I've been suffering from Bronchitis for several years, that has almost gone down to zero.

I've cut all breads, including paleo bread, because I think it tricks the mind. I have a lot of breakfasts of eggs and bacon. Salads and BBQ for lunch(minus all the fixings and sauces). I find a lot of paleo approved hot sauces go a long way in making everything tasty. And after a month or hard labor, I really don't miss carbs and dairy much at all.

I also try to do at least 15 hour periods of fasting. Which I eat breakfast around 10am, and try to eat my last meal/snack by 6pm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keto recipes that claim are a great bread and dessert replacements are bullshit lies. At least all the ones I have tries are.

These Hash Browns are really good.. http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a52085/ca...

This soup is really good.. https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/recipe/fat-bomb-hamburger-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is no Dana, only Zuul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to facebook.com. Look for real world keto. All science driven. Read the pinned post. Calculate your macros, get fitness pal and pay for the pro version to track your macros. Always look to hit your protein goal, stay under your carbs, and eat fat only as much as you need to hit your protein goal. Get fit AF. The photos and thousands of people doing it that way and succeeding is pretty compelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
Start by having coffee black no sugar. Cut out all surgery drinks and replace with fruit infused water or tea.

Anything laced with barium tastes lousy without sugar, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for crunchy cravings, pork rinds and cheese 'Whisps' are your friend.

some xtra fiber tablets or powder might also be your friend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Mmmmmmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Usually most Keto sites say to try not including dairy of any kind if possible. It's available, but I would try not to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
xilan wrote:
facebook.com.

xilan wrote:
All science driven.

HEAD ASPLODE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaitlyn Morgan
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the advice everybody

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Usually most Keto sites say to try not including dairy of any kind if possible. It's available, but I would try not to use it.

Gotta mix in some enjoyment into all the cauliflower and protein. If a bit of good cheese can save from running to the brownies it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did keto for quite a few months. Lost ~40lbs.

Things that got me through it:

reddit.com/r/ketorecipes
reddit.com/r/ketodining
reddit.com/r/ketorage

Rotisserie chicken from the supermarket
Beef jerky
Bacon and eggs
Creamcheese pancakes w/ Walden Farms diabetic syrup
Chocolate mug cakes
Coffee with heavy whipping cream

Weigh yourself every day

Eat high fat things when you can - they make you feel full so you end up eating less.

And generally learning what the carbs/calories are of most common items and being selective in eating just those things when possible.

Get some lite salt to drink with water if you get the "keto flu" (Only happened to me once)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is no Dana, only Zuul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
xilan wrote:
facebook.com.

xilan wrote:
All science driven.

HEAD ASPLODE

Weird, right. The people that run that group know their peer-reviewed lit. I think at least one of the admins is a PhD and this is his jam. They don't suffer internet myths about keto at all (e.g. BPC, the silly ketones you can buy, etc). Related: it's not a group for people who are easily offended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

I don't think that's true at all. Plenty of cream and cheese from what I have seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

I don't think that's true at all. Plenty of cream and cheese from what I have seen.

Yep, been doing Keto on and off for over a year.

Heavy cream, cheese, and cream cheese are staples of my diet.

It's where most of my fat comes from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I've cut all breads, including paleo bread, because I think it tricks the mind.

This.

I'm in a similar boat with Chapel: I've done Paleo for several years with fantastic results (fat loss, more energy, better sleep, GERD all but disappeared).

I avoid paleo-friendly imitations of non-paleo food. The happy benefit? I no longer crave those foods. For instance, I really enjoy the smell of fresh baked cookies, but they no longer give me any cravings. It's the same as enjoying the smell of flowers to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
Keto recipes that claim are a great bread and dessert replacements are bullshit lies. At least all the ones I have tries are.

These Hash Browns are really good.. http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a52085/ca...

This soup is really good.. https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/recipe/fat-bomb-hamburger-s...

Pretty much this. My experience is that when a diet says it is just like X and you go into it expecting X and getting far-from-X, it makes it worse than just trying something different.

My suggestion: focus on the vegetable fats. Avocados, olives, coconut, nuts. Those are tasty ways to get the fat you need without overdoing the protein (since too much protein is also dangerous).

My breakfast is almost always an omelette with cheese, pepperoni, avocado, and then a side of bacon. In this diet, the answer to just about anything seems to be "bacon."

The key is to get to where you aren't feeling hungry. Once you get there, go on a water fast. Once your body switches from a carb-based energy source to a fat-based energy source, then fasting will have your body looking for stored fat (plentiful, sadly) rather than stored carbs (burn out quickly). The fasting is what makes the big shifts. Those are intimidating at first, but not as bad as you'd suspect once you get over your initial concern of just eating by force of habit. An empty stomach isn't so bad when it's not coupled with being deprived of an energy source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xilan wrote:
Go to facebook.com. Look for real world keto. All science driven. Read the pinned post. Calculate your macros, get fitness pal and pay for the pro version to track your macros. Always look to hit your protein goal, stay under your carbs, and eat fat only as much as you need to hit your protein goal. Get fit AF. The photos and thousands of people doing it that way and succeeding is pretty compelling.

Thanks for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we all please agree there is no more such thing as a pancake? Every time my wife sees a recipe for a Keto pancake, I am forced to try it alongside her. I then have to choke down a hockey puck with a sauce that is supposed to be akin to syrup but really is nowhere close. Then I have to just make an omelette like I always have.

So can we please all just come to that consensus now? Please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Morric
United States
flag msg tools
all diets are worthless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Muntic0re wrote:
all diets are worthless

Must be nice to tell yourself that. On my diet, I lost 15 pounds a year ago and have kept it off since. Diets can work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muntic0re wrote:
all diets are worthless

Not quite nearly as worthless as interjecting and dropping a negative opinion into a forum no one asked for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.