Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's a bummer to see those wonderful Disaster Vehicles ignored 99% of the time because the tokens are too valuable. I would love to take you, Sidewinder, but I really need the tokens. Sorry, Sun Probe. My regrets, Fireflash. Maybe next time, Helijet. It's bad enough that we don't get to use the plastic miniatures on the board. But we rarely even get to use their abilities!

Well, I refuse to let Disaster Vehicles languish any longer! So I'm going to start playing with the following rules mod:

After a character resolves a disaster and receives the token(s) listed on the card, if the card lists a Disaster Vehicle, that character may spend his or her next action to take the Disaster Vehicle card. The action must be spent on the same turn that the disaster is resolved and on the same space where the disaster was resolved.

This still means you have to "buy" the Disaster Vehicles, and the cost is analogous to buying a FAB card. Unlike FAB cards, you know in advance what you're getting, but you have to time it so that you have an action available to spend. This means you won't have to make the hard choice between tokens or Disaster Vehicles. It gives the associated disasters unique flavor because now it's more feasible to resolve the disaster for tokens *and* the Disaster Vehicle.

Thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions?

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Quicksilver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucester
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that too!

One thought...

If the player resolving the disaster didn't spend an additional action, could the vehicle model just be left in the space? Then any player could later spend an action and retrieve the vehicle card. Would it make it make things too easy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it too. It's simple and easy to apply, allows you to plan ahead and involves a manageable but significant cost so that you won't always take the option - enhancing the decision space.

I'd equate the extra action needed on the same turn to making sure the rescue is done well enough to salvage/secure the disaster vehicle for subsequent rescues. It would be too kind I think to allow the vehicle to be picked up on subsequent turns for an action. It would certainly make it easier to get the disaster vehicles and they could be left there until needed, not terrible but likely makes the game significantly easier. If only lasting one subsequent turn that might be a bit better, but I'd still go for the only on the same turn suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
atrox7 wrote:
I like that too!

One thought...

If the player resolving the disaster didn't spend an additional action, could the vehicle model just be left in the space? Then any player could later spend an action and retrieve the vehicle card. Would it make it make things too easy?

What I like about that, Aaron, is that it gives the Disaster Vehicle models some functionality on the board!

HOWEVER, I do think it would make it too easy to grab the Disaster Vehicles. Because if there are disaster vehicles lying around, I'm definitely going to want to pick them up. Now they're loot on the table and I can hoover them up at my leisure. Which is kind of how the FAB cards work; I can grab an FAB card whenever I have a spare action and some room to breathe on the Hood track.

But if the Disaster Vehicles are only available as the immediate result of resolving a disaster card, they're further distinguished from FAB cards. They're limited opportunities that you might have to plan for in advance.

Still, I love the idea of having some use for the plastic figures on the board. I also like how your idea is thematic as a favor International Rescue can call in later. If you play that way, let us know how it goes.

-Tom

EDIT: Oops, Daniel is saying pretty much what I'm saying. I could have just written "what Daniel said". :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janet Welch
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When a disaster with a vehicle appears in our time line we put the plastic model on top of the disaster token, partially to get them into play somewhere and partially to make it clear that the disaster has a vehicle. Before now we have forgot the card has two options missing a vehicle that we might have wanted, this makes it very clear.

I like your idea of them being almost like FAB cards and I agree the bonus they give is comparable to the FAB cards but normally you would choose the tokens. We have taken the vehicle on occasions but that was because we specifically needed that power now. If future planning the tokens have much more flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
nicidemas wrote:
When a disaster with a vehicle appears in our time line we put the plastic model on top of the disaster token, partially to get them into play somewhere and partially to make it clear that the disaster has a vehicle. Before now we have forgot the card has two options missing a vehicle that we might have wanted, this makes it very clear.

I like your idea of them being almost like FAB cards and I agree the bonus they give is comparable to the FAB cards but normally you would choose the tokens. We have taken the vehicle on occasions but that was because we specifically needed that power now. If future planning the tokens have much more flexibility.

I've played a couple of games with the Let's Make Disaster Vehicles Useful mod and I'm ready to declare it a permanent house rule at Chez Chick. It's really nice to be able to get the tokens *and* the vehicle, and paying an action to do it feels totally fair.

Too bad this Matt Leacock fella, whoever he is, didn't consult me about this issue.

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, this looks great!

Now, I should really finish painting my Disaster Vehicles. I spray primed them in their primary colours long ago, but never got around to the detail painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is the variant we use makes DV have a use.
1. Disaster Vehicles (DV): place on board when disaster card put in play. If taken as reward player takes card and keeps DV on board he can move the DV once each turn for free, movement after the 1st free or by other players cost one action.
2. Disaster Vehicles movement: Drilling Rig & Crablogger 1, USN Sentinel, Hellijet, Sidewinder, Roadbuilder 2, Space and Sunprobe 3 and Fireflash special.
3. Changes to card: cards now used are exhausted (turned 90 degrees) till controlling players turn when turned back upright. Can be used if exhausted but then discarded.
4. Spaceprobe, Hellijet, Roadbuilder and Sentinel if in area with a disaster their bonus can be used as per card for that disaster.
5. Sunprobe: when taken as a reward immediately pick two FAB cards keep one and exhaust. If in same area as Sunprobe a player can play a Logistic chit and pick two FAB cards and keep one, if Sunprobe was exhausted discard, if not exhaust. If not in Sunprobe area can play as per card then discard if not exhausted.
6. Crablogger: If player in same area as Crablogger may gain extra action. If exhausted gain extra action and discard. If not exhausted non controlling player may discard for two actions if in area with. Controlling player may discard as per card.
7. Zombite Fighters: if in a disaster area may swap that disaster with any other on track if a active player in area. Can be used as per card but then discarded.
8. Fireflash: If characters (player or non-player) in same area as fireflash may transfer any number of characters from that area to another area as long as they can be placed into Vehicles or bases. Fireflash is now transferred to new area. Can also be played as per card but then discarded. Controlling player can move Fireflash to his position for free once a turn.
9. Sidewinder: If player in a disaster area with Sidewinder can be used for one free rescue attempt, then exhaust. If exhausted can be used for free rescue then discarded. Can also be discarded as per card if not exhausted.
10. Drilling Rig: Player in Drilling Rig area may spend one action to bring T4 to that area and exhaust. Can also discard and use as per play card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senjak Goldman
msg tools
mb
I love the idea of exhausting and refreshing the disaster vehicles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.