Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Veenvliet
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
These are my suggestion for new players (and I guess veteran ones too) to improve the game significantly. I'll include the reasons hidden after each suggestion, not sure if they are true spoilers, but hid them anyway in case people's spoiler threshold is lower than mine.

1) When first setting up, include the four curse cards with the pictures on them in the action deck and put all four related clue cards in the backpack. Do not put any of the four blank generic curse cards in the action deck. Start on any of the suggested starting tiles (probably 010).

Reason:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Many times players will encounter important locations, but because they are not playing that specific curse, they become far less interesting (and in my experience disappointing/frustrating). Adding every curse makes each of these locations of interest much more satisfying, and the probability of curse cards interfering with successful actions remains the same (e.g., four curses in the action deck)

2) After resolving an exploration card (the ones with the roman numerals) banish it rather than discard it. When the exploration cards run out, just place the adjacent numbered card (no exploration needed).

Reason:
These exploration events are interesting... the first time. After many hours, repeat events are dull and lengthen the game needlessly. Thematically this would represent your explorers knowing the terrain so well that they don't need to explore any more, which is true if you've exhausted the tiles of that number type...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While these are good suggestions for making the game easier and seeing more content faster, I personally wouldn’t play that way. I’m on my 4th attempt at VG and enjoy dealing with the exploration cards better the next time I see them and not knowing when I’ll encounter something new. As for the curses, I’ve found a number of other curse unlocks and look forward to going back when I’m on them.

I feel playing is like enjoying a glass of fine wine one evening while reading a good book. Your suggestions are like drinking a whole bottle in an evening. It’s not bad, just a different experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone wanted to do this, theyre playing multiple curses without upping the difficulty...so you might want to nerf the rewards for finishing a curse. At the very least, if they remove that curse card from the deck they should replace it with a blank one, if you just kept removing curse cards the game would get progressively easier.

Overall, This probably makes the game into one 30 (40 with expansions) hour play-through and then youre done rather than one 20-30 hour playthrough followed by multiple 6-10 hour playthroughs for the other curses, but a handful of people may want that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IceWeasel007 wrote:
to improve the game significantly

YMMV. All they do is let players see content faster, which is fine if that's how you want to play. But, as with most variants, I would not say they improve the game. They just offer a different experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
At the very least, if they remove that curse card from the deck they should replace it with a blank one, if you just kept removing curse cards the game would get progressively easier.

You're not supposed to remove curse cards from the deck within a playthrough, increase to the difficulty is permanent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
Ogrecrusher wrote:

You're not supposed to remove curse cards from the deck within a playthrough, increase to the difficulty is permanent.

Actually, yes you do. If you play multiple curses, the game specifically tells you to remove the corresponding curse card when it's lifted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganner wrote:
Ogrecrusher wrote:

Actually, yes you do. If you play multiple curses, the game specifically tells you to remove the corresponding curse card when it's lifted.

Nope, you only banish the clue card.

See: https://the7thcontinent.seriouspoulp.com/en/forum/topic/1019...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
Gosh ! You're right ! Oo

That's even worse that it already seemed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganner wrote:
Gosh ! You're right ! Oo

That's even worse that it already seemed.

I just finished my 7 curse playthrough last night, it's not so bad once you flood the deck with the advanced skill cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could swear when you finish a curse the cards usually tell you to heal cards and dump the curse, but i only played multi-curses once and we might have removed it because of another in game effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
I could swear when you finish a curse the cards usually tell you to heal cards and dump the curse, but i only played multi-curses once and we might have removed it because of another in game effect.

They say "Banish the clue card titled X", not the curse card itself.

I've never actually seen a method of removing them from the deck, though one may exist, and is hinted at in the Firebird comment I linked to earlier when he says "by default the curse is not banished..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres definitely at least one way to remove one curse card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Theres definitely at least one way to remove one curse card.

Cool, maybe I can find it once the expansion rolls around!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tess Lynx
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
IceWeasel007 wrote:
Start on any of the suggested starting tiles (probably 010).

Just be aware that the starting location for some curses are (somewhat) important/you may have to go back there.

If you're doing this for your first game ever and you don't want to look up locations online for different curses, you might want to choose your starting location with significant care.

----------------------------------------------

I, personally, wouldn't follow either of these suggestions as:

for 1: we have beaten every curse individually, and the mystery of Y icon in X location is one of the things that kept us coming back for more. We remember a location had a cool thing and we WANT to know, so on our next curse we go back there and see if its relevant to our current curse. Satisfaction is being able to remember a location of interest and returning there if you think its relevant rather than instant gratification. It made the continent extremely exciting and replayable for us.

Don't forget everyone though, curiosity can kill ... explorers. AND it will be much more tempting to cheat death (aka "nah, that didn't happen") on a 40+ hour all in curse than it is for a 7 hour single curse.

for 2:
we tend to play in 10 hour segments, and can typically finish 1 curse (or 1/2 a duel curse) in that time. So getting sick of foggy backed cards isn't really an issue because we keep a fair chunk of the board out at once (unless we have to do a full party exit). We also take alot of care to not go where we don't really need to go (limit the number of foggy cards we have to pull anyways), and we hardly ever split the party.

----------------------------------------------

Note for new players: If you are tempted by either one of these modifications, I do suggest you play through a single curse the traditional way just to get an idea of what you'll be changing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
IceWeasel007 wrote:
These are my suggestion for new players (and I guess veteran ones too) to improve the game significantly. I'll include the reasons hidden after each suggestion, not sure if they are true spoilers, but hid them anyway in case people's spoiler threshold is lower than mine.

1) When first setting up, include the four curse cards with the pictures on them in the action deck and put all four related clue cards in the backpack. Do not put any of the four blank generic curse cards in the action deck. Start on any of the suggested starting tiles (probably 010).

Reason:
Many times players will encounter important locations, but because they are not playing that specific curse, they become far less interesting (and in my experience disappointing/frustrating). Adding every curse makes each of these locations of interest much more satisfying, and the probability of curse cards interfering with successful actions remains the same (e.g., four curses in the action deck)

2) After resolving an exploration card (the ones with the roman numerals) banish it rather than discard it. When the exploration cards run out, just place the adjacent numbered card (no exploration needed).

Reason:
These exploration events are interesting... the first time. After many hours, repeat events are dull and lengthen the game needlessly. Thematically this would represent your explorers knowing the terrain so well that they don't need to explore any more, which is true if you've exhausted the tiles of that number type...

I appreciate you wanting to modify to create an experience that you'd prefer. But I would not recommend either of these fixes for new or old players.

There are already rules for how to handle playing multiple Curses at once, so there's no need to house rule it.

The second fix you have will actively disrupt and potentially break the game in at least two situations I can think of, maybe more.

The intent of these seems to be to access the content of the game as quickly as possible, which I understand if you are not the type of person to play a game over and over. It will take a long time to see everything in the box playing the game as written, and that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Our method was actually the opposite - we played the first curse until we beat is with no expansions. then we added an expansion, and played a new curse, added an expansion, and played a new curse, and so on, so there was a lot of familiar territory and events, but also a drip feed of new content each time we played. We really enjoyed seeing something mysterious an inaccessible and then coming back to it in a later game. That was part of the excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.