Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pepijn van Loon
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on the box cover for my game and came up with a few different designs. Which one do you like best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer nr. 1.

That picture is too beautiful to show only parts of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like #1's composition and overall colours but it is rather on the generic side.
I like #2's shape and inverted colour pattern on the title, but not so much that the foreground is white. I don't know what it is supposed to be.
I don't like #3 as it doesn't show enough and feels a bit dated.
I don't like #4 in that the colour pattern is not to my taste. That said it makes more sense than #2 in that the burnt shape actually means something. Too bad the title becomes red though.

If I were to choose, I'd go for #4, not because I like it more, but because it feels more unique to me. But the most elegant one is probably #1. It just doesn't stand out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was between #1 and #2 for me. I agree with the poster above that the picture is beautiful, and it feels like you're missing out on some beautiful imagery in #2. That being said, the mystery of what I'm missing and the stark white really work for me. It makes me look harder at #2, and try to imagine what I don't see. #2 is tastefully teasing me, which captures my attention, versus #1, which allows me to drink in the image, get my fill, and then move on. So I pick #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
Kalyvia/Lagonissi
Attika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see by the replies already, personal preferences differ. All of them look great, but number 1, for me, really, really stands above the rest. Very beautiful cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
visit my blog The Necrollnomicon: Kitchener and Waterloo Board Game Events
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like #2 but I would like it more if I knew the shape was supposed to be something.
#1 is my 2nd pick but I feel I've seen similar covers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I like #2's shape and inverted colour pattern on the title, but not so much that the foreground is white. I don't know what it is supposed to be.

I agree with Raz here about preferring #2 and not liking the white, but also not liking your treatment in #4.

But... Is there a wild animal or other tearing effect that happens in the game? If not, then #1 for sure. That slashed/torn effect definitely conveys a meaning that I would expect to find prominently in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Barton
England
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1, it's lovely. If not #1 then #3 I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
in descending order:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I like number 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the consensus seems to be that the artwork looks very nice, but some kind of additional design element might give it an extra punch. I think my problem with 2, 3, and 4 is that it covers up too much of the nice artwork. Perhaps you could scale back the covering/border to still provide that extra flair, but allow us to still see more of the artwork?

I personally like the classy look of #3, but knowing what kind of game it is might better inform the cover choice. Your cover should be part of setting the tone for the game and the play experience players should expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Attire!
badge
What’s the difference between a poorly dressed man on a tricycle and a well-dressed man on a bicycle?
mbmbmb
#2 and 4 do not appeal to me. I think the design idea is interesting, but the "tear" distracts from the image inside, and I am not sure how it relates to the game. The Tear does not seem memorable to me.

#1 is MUCH more appealing. I am more inclined to look at this game closely. The Only drawback I can think of is that I am not sure what the main representative object for the game is supposed to be. What makes me think of this game when I see it (the representative object) -- the mountain? This beautiful image may be lost along with all the other beautiful full color scenic box art out there.

#3 shrinks the image too much for the image to be of best value (see above comment on #1). But the cutout is very recognizable and I would spot it across the store. The border design has a greek/roman flavor to it and I might expect the same flavor within the game.

mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love nr. 1 but nr. 2 also has something very special to it. Nr. 4 is not cool (sorry) because the additional colors ruin the overall feel of the great artwork.

If i saw a game with Artwork 1 in a shelf i would definitely read the back of the box!

I would also go so far to say that the Nr. 1 is one of the most appealing cover-arts i know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepijn van Loon
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone!

ampoliros wrote:
I agree with Raz here about preferring #2 and not liking the white, but also not liking your treatment in #4.

But... Is there a wild animal or other tearing effect that happens in the game? If not, then #1 for sure. That slashed/torn effect definitely conveys a meaning that I would expect to find prominently in the game.

The game is about heroes defending a village in a lovely valley that is surrounded by dungeons with evil creatures. The tear is party to make the cover more striking, but also to show the hidden danger, and to lure the viewer into this fantasy world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

then a distant 2 and 4
so the tear design doesnt look like a real tear, whats holding up the bottom points?
and to add to that concern on 4, what is the foreground?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepijn van Loon
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gragian wrote:
I think the consensus seems to be that the artwork looks very nice, but some kind of additional design element might give it an extra punch. I think my problem with 2, 3, and 4 is that it covers up too much of the nice artwork. Perhaps you could scale back the covering/border to still provide that extra flair, but allow us to still see more of the artwork?

Yes, I'm certainly going to try some designs that cover up less of the artwork. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oloring wrote:
... The tear is party to make the cover more striking, but also to show the hidden danger, and to lure the viewer into this fantasy world.

but the premise is flipped the item showing danger is closest to us more akin to making it imply that we are the predator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like #1 best.
#2 and #3 show too little of the artwork and I don't like the colours of #4.
Perhaps you could do something in between #1 & #2, showing just a little of the white borders of the tears on the front of the box and have the artwork continue down the sides which will be mostly white.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Shintotchi wrote:
It was between #1 and #2 for me. I agree with the poster above that the picture is beautiful, and it feels like you're missing out on some beautiful imagery in #2. That being said, the mystery of what I'm missing and the stark white really work for me. It makes me look harder at #2, and try to imagine what I don't see. #2 is tastefully teasing me, which captures my attention, versus #1, which allows me to drink in the image, get my fill, and then move on. So I pick #2.

Same here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan G
Netherlands
Emmeloord
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely number 1.

If you did have something in the immediate foreground it needs to be of a similar level of artistic merit, while also making sense within the scene/context of the game - which the slash-y ones don't. 2,3,and 4 just cheapen the overall look (to my eyes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Sewell
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
1. I think it would be much improved by an expressive subhead though. Something describing the game in general terms, e.g., "Trade Build Settle."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with #1 and have a sleeve with window for 2/3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason J
msg tools
I think 2 is clearly the Best Choice.

Box #2 gives the impression of trying to defend against dangerous monsters.

Box #1 looks like it could be the cover for almost any random peaceful economic Euro game.

When I looked at Box 1, my immediate thought was that it reminded me of the box cover of Nusfjord
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.