24 Posts

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » Rules

Subject: end of game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ash Hajj
msg tools
hi,

This is my first game, and I wanted to double check when the game ends exactly.

We are playing a 2 player game and I was the first player, I replenished the card row and age 3 civil cards ran out with 4 spots still empty.

We stop the turns immediately and continue with the end of game steps right?

Thanks!

Is there an age 4?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
If age 4 hits on the first players turn you play one final round. If it hits on another players turn you finish the current round and then play one more final round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Hajj
msg tools
Ah, so age 4 is when the final round plus evaluating all the current and future event.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All players always play the same amount of turns, and the game doesn't immediately end when the cards run out, no matter on whose turn it happens.

When the last of the age III civil cards is put onto the board, this signals the end of age III, and start of age IV. So people lose 2 yellow tokens from their bank, and discard all age II cards in hand as well as age II leaders, unfinished age II wonders, and age II pacts from play. Age III military deck is removed, so no one can draw any military cards anymore.

If this happens at the start of the starting player's turn, this will be the last round, and each player will play one last turn. If it happens on someone else's turn, the current round is finished, and a full round will be played after that. The starting player always plays exactly one turn of age IV, and others have 1-2 age IV turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hajjii wrote:
Ah, so age 4 is when the final round plus evaluating all the current and future event.

Thanks!

The age IV can also happen before the final round. And the event evaluation at the end of the game (after the last position player has finished his last turn) only applies to age III events, all of which are "Impact of (something)". If there are age I or age II events in the current or future event piles, they are disregarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hajjii wrote:

Thanks!

Just to be clear, though, as Mark said, Age IV is always at LEAST one full round, but it can last MORE than one round depending on when it starts (when the Age III deck runs out). If it happens on any player's turn other than the starting player, then you finish that round AND play one more complete round, all as Age IV. THEN you resolve all the current and future Impact events.

ninja ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hajjii wrote:
hi,
This is my first game, and I wanted to double check when the game ends exactly.
We are playing a 2 player game and I was the first player, I replenished the card row and age 3 civil cards ran out with 4 spots still empty.
We stop the turns immediately and continue with the end of game steps right?
Thanks!
Is there an age 4?!

There is an Age IV. Here's how it goes.

Alice, Bob, Charlie and Dave are all playing a 4-player Through the Ages. Alice is the first player, i.e., on the first round of the game, she had begun with 1 Civil Action, and Dave the fourth player. Thus, the turn order is: (1) Alice, (2) Bob, (3) Charlie and (4) Dave.

Scenario 1
At the beginning of Alice's turn, the last card of Age III is placed on the card row. Age III ends and Age IV begins immediately. Everyone has exactly one last turn. After Dave's turn, all remaining Age III impacts are evaluated.

Scenario 2
At the beginning of Charlie's turn, the last card of Age III is placed on the card row. Age III ends and Age IV begins immediately. Charlie and Dave get their penultimate turn. Afterwards, everyone has exactly one last turn. After Dave's last turn, all remaining Age III impacts are evaluated. This means, Charlie and Dave will have 2 turns in Age IV.

Scenario 2 is evaluated likewise if Age III ends at the beginning of Bob's or Dave's turn. Finish the round by playing until Dave's turn, then everyone gets one final turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Hajj
msg tools
thanks for the clarifications guys!

really good game, I'm enjoying it.

I am new to this hobby, do you recommend Mage Knight or Scythe after this game?

My collection so far is: Catan, Pandemic, Dungeon Pets, Agricola and TTA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hajjii wrote:

I would not recommend Mage Knight to someone who is new to boardgaming. Scythe is ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
hajjii wrote:

I would not recommend Mage Knight to someone who is new to boardgaming. Scythe is ok.

Then again someone who plays TtA and Dungeon Petz as one of the first games and likes them might not have problems with Mage Knight either. Both have plenty of rules and can be quite the brain-burners. I guess Agricola can be as well, if playing the full game and not the family version. Mage Knight is still a step up from that, but perhaps it doesn't matter in this case.

However, there is a large difference between Mage Knight and those others regarding playing time. Any interesting Mage Knight scenario takes a lot more time than any of the other games mentioned. Player(s) either need to commit to solid 6-10 hours of playing even when everyone is familiar with the game, or there has to be the option to leave the game to the table and continue another day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The awkward wording of the rule and resulting confusion would be eliminated if they would just put the card refresh at the end of a player's turn instead of the beginning of the next player's. It would have zero impact on the game but make the rule simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bubba0077 wrote:
The awkward wording of the rule and resulting confusion would be eliminated if they would just put the card refresh at the end of a player's turn instead of the beginning of the next player's. It would have zero impact on the game but make the rule simpler.

Err, how exactly would that change anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
bubba0077 wrote:

Err, how exactly would that change anything?

Zero practical difference but the rule itself becomes much simpler:

"Finish the current round, then each player gets one more turn."

instead of

"This round is the last if Age IV begins during the starting player's turn. The next round will be the last if Age IV begins during any other player's turn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording is the way it is, because it implies, that it is the next players "duty" to fill up the board. This way he can do so, while the previos player goes into production and will save some time over a full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Hajj
msg tools
I think I will try mage knight, seems an interesting different game and can be played solo, but I think I will read the rule book first. I leave long games as is to continue on several days :-)

Guys question regarding "International agreement" event card; this card screwed me 2 times! I think we understood it wrong I don't know why.

After the strongest player takes civil cards worth 5 civil actions; do we remove ALL the remaining cards on the cards row then replenish, or do we replenish after the cards worth 5 civil actions are taken without removing any more cards?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hajjii wrote:
I think I will try mage knight, seems an interesting different game and can be played solo, but I think I will read the rule book first. I leave long games as is to continue on several days :-)

Guys question regarding "International agreement" event card; this card screwed me 2 times! I think we understood it wrong I don't know why.

After the strongest player takes civil cards worth 5 civil actions; do we remove ALL the remaining cards on the cards row then replenish, or do we replenish after the cards worth 5 civil actions are taken without removing any more cards?

thanks!

Why would you remove more cards? You just slide the remaining cards down to fill the gaps and replenish as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Hajj
msg tools
makes sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
hajjii wrote:

thanks!

Why would you remove more cards? You just slide the remaining cards down to fill the gaps and replenish as normal.

Do you just fill the gaps for the ones that got removed, or do you do a full normal replenish, which would mean removing the card(s) on the far left side also? I'm currently playing a game in the app and I am resolving this event. I'd like to take some cards, but I also really want the very first card, so I'd hate to see that disappear (and I'm assuming I can't undo once I see the new cards...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backlash27 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
hajjii wrote:

thanks!

Do you just fill the gaps for the ones that got removed, or do you do a full normal replenish, which would mean removing the card(s) on the far left side also? I'm currently playing a game in the app and I am resolving this event. I'd like to take some cards, but I also really want the very first card, so I'd hate to see that disappear (and I'm assuming I can't undo once I see the new cards...)
Just the ones that got removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backlash27 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
hajjii wrote:

thanks!

You don’t remove any cards beyond what are taken for the event.
But you also don’t fill the gaps with new cars. Slide the existing cards down to remove the gaps, then add new cards to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Backlash27 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
hajjii wrote:

thanks!

You don’t remove any cards beyond what are taken for the event.
But you also don’t fill the gaps with new cars. Slide the existing cards down to remove the gaps, then add new cards to the end.

Right. I just wanted to make sure the first card wasn't discarded. Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
grant5 wrote:
If it happens on any player's turn other than the starting player, then you finish that round AND play one more complete round, all as Age IV.
In this situation is it possible to play a "War over ..." card and have it resolve? The rules says:
Declare a War wrote:
ELimitation: You cannot declare a war during the last round.

But since there is one more full round to go it should be possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mouldybanana wrote:
grant5 wrote:
If it happens on any player's turn other than the starting player, then you finish that round AND play one more complete round, all as Age IV.
In this situation is it possible to play a "War over ..." card and have it resolve? The rules says:
Declare a War wrote:
ELimitation: You cannot declare a war during the last round.

But since there is one more full round to go it should be possible?

Yes, that is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.