Subject: Lab Technician and Inside Man rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious how useful these two roles are: Lab Technician and Inside Man.

If I understand the rules:
Deception: Undercover Allies Rules Page 2 wrote:
The use of the new Roles – Lab Technician and Inside Man – requires one change to the structure of play. A new phase (referred to as the Allies Phase) must occur between the end of step 2a - First Round of Evidence Collection and the beginning of step 2b - Second Round of Evidence Collection.

Shouldn't the Lab Technician and Inside Man know who is on their team? It seems to me that their abilities, remove a voting back and confirm a single card, are are limited since they are only used just once. Yet the rules say nothing about either the Lab Technician or Inside Man knowing who is on their team. So using this ability after the first round of discussion and using the abilities only once seems confusing. If the first round of clues isn't very revealing then both the Lab Technician and Inside Man are just blind guess with everyone else.

The rules does say for the Protective Detail to protect the witness.

Am I missing the strategy here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
My understanding is that the Protective Detail is indeed the only one who's gaining some extra knowledge in the setup.

All the others will use their power without too much of a knowledge (a lab technician knowing allies or foes would be EXTREMELY powerful and the inside man knowing the witness could give too much of the upper hand) and try to eliminate possibilities by checking during the first round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Djna83 wrote:
My understanding is that the Protective Detail is indeed the only one who's gaining some extra knowledge in the setup.

All the others will use their power without too much of a knowledge (a lab technician knowing allies or foes would be EXTREMELY powerful and the inside man knowing the witness could give too much of the upper hand) and try to eliminate possibilities by checking during the first round.

Would the Lab Technician if they only know the allies, not the foes? The recommended player is 7+ anyway, so the only thing the Lab Tech knows is their 3 against 4 others.

I agree the Inside Man should never know the witness or any other opponent/foe. But, as with the Lab Tech, would knowing your allies hurt?

Me? I think that:
If the Lab Tech knew allies there should be a higher count game with plenty of clues or yes that could be over powered.

The Inside Man I don't see any issue with them knowing their team members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this post in another thread.

Karmic_devil wrote:

The inside man wins or loses with with murderer's team.
They do not participate in Witness discussions. They are unknown to the Murderer and Accomplice and may be targeted as the witness.

-Josh
Grey Fox Games

Thanks for the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kikaidurr
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with the Inside man knowing who the other bad guys are. If he doesnt know his team, then why would he want to participate in the game at all? He shouldnt try to guess the right combination or else he will lose, but at the same time he doesnt know what it is so he cant lead the good guys away from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bengiovanni
United States
Kensington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played two games with the Inside Man and much of our group had some issues with it. In my game playing as the inside man I took away the guess from the accomplice. If I want to take away my teammates' guess, I'd like it to be a strategy (not a great one), not just random misfortune.

I also agree that the Inside Man may as well just sit there and not try. He shouldn't be available as a guess for the Witness, and he shouldn't guess because that helps the other team. Next time I draw this card I may as well just "pass" and say nothing.

I agree with your house rule that at least he should know the other two bad guys. One of our group suggested he know the accomplice. That way he coulc try and follow the accomplice's lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.