Anachrony» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why does the 3rd player only get 1 water as a starting bonus? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Finally, players in a clockwise order starting from the First Player receive 0/1/1/2 Water.

Seems that the 2nd player has a built in advantage on the 3rd player.
Why?

especially in a 3 player game it felt very weird to receive the same bonus when in fact the 3rd player goes last....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gannon Dubay
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I like big boxes and I can not lie.
badge
Rochester, NY - Willing to Play!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the exact balance would be closer to something like 0/0.7/1.3/2 but there aren't fractional water tokens so its close enough to not make much of a difference. A single water over the course of the entire game isn't much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaGannondorf wrote:
I think the exact balance would be closer to something like 0/0.7/1.3/2 but there aren't fractional water tokens so its close enough to not make much of a difference. A single water over the course of the entire game isn't much.

Apparently it is enough to offset the big bonus of going first....

in a 3 player game the cost of the same action goes from 0 to 1 to 2(first player spot).
in a 4 person game the cost of the same action goes from 0 to 1 to 2 to 2(first player spot).

That seems to be the more reasonable water dispersment and thats not even considering the great advantage that going first gives you.
(if everyone actually got the same benefit for their first action)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaGannondorf wrote:

I'd say even less actually. I played for almost 2 years with no turn order compensation. There are almost always 3-4 good "first actions" (grab genius, grab cheap building, grab neutronium, etc) so the difference between going 2nd and 3rd is ... not big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
DaGannondorf wrote:

I'd say even less actually. I played for almost 2 years with no turn order compensation. There are almost always 3-4 good "first actions" (grab genius, grab cheap building, grab neutronium, etc) so the difference between going 2nd and 3rd is ... not big.

I guess you know best

very cool design, ill keep playing, ill get better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
TDaver wrote:
DaGannondorf wrote:

I guess you know best

very cool design, ill keep playing, ill get better

Actually it's my playtesters who played 30+ times with me over a course of a year and whooping me every single time who know best

And they said starting turn order doesn't matter, but the difference between the player BEFORE or AFTER you in turn order taking the First Player spot mid-game is quite a big semi-random swing. So that issue I plan to address in a hypothetical expansion. Starting order compensation... not so much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

TDaver wrote:
I played for almost 2 years with no turn order compensation.

So this does beg the question of why the turn order compensation even ended-up in the game. Or was that decision larger than you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes this drives me, and one of my friends nuts in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

TDaver wrote:

So this does beg the question of why the turn order compensation even ended-up in the game. Or was that decision larger than you?

The development team's sense of righteousness outvoted me. Plus if we didn't people would complain. It's more often about the feeling of balance as opposed to actual balance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dornian
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
It's more often about the feeling of balance as opposed to actual balance...

It's like a comfort blanket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

TDaver wrote:

The development team's sense of righteousness outvoted me. Plus if we didn't people would complain. It's more often about the feeling of balance as opposed to actual balance...

I have never noticed this rule and never been picked up on it and not always my copy being played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
TDaver wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

TDaver wrote:

I have never noticed this rule and never been picked up on it and not always my copy being played.

u are saying u didnt notice the water bonus in general?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.