Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Moore
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

My girlfriend and I will be visiting Dublin and some other cities near the end of August into early September.

Curious to see if there was any boardgamers in and around the area that we could meet up with and maybe show us around.

Of course I want to see some tourist sites, 'Book of Kells', etc... but also interested in the local scene.

Also recommendation fro places to sleep, restaurants, pubs, etc.

Any recommendation would be helpful

Many Thanks,
Patrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donagh Molloy
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personelly I would suggest the national museum of Archeology.

https://www.museum.ie/Archaeology

The bronze age gold work, the early chalices and croziers and the bog men if it's of interest to you.

The Guinness brew house is on the top of the list consistently for tourist attractions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan G
Netherlands
Emmeloord
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in Ireland last year with my family.
If you happen to go to Belfast, check out the board game cafe Jack Straws. http://jackstraws.co.uk/

After searching online I found them and we went there for one night. Great people, nice food and a good selection of board games. We had lots of fun.

Have a good trip, it's a beautiful country with very nice people, but don't forget your raincoat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a James Joyce nerd, so I quite enjoyed just walking around Dublin for that reason. I happened upon Sweny's Chemist (mentioned in Ulysses) and found a place stuck in time. These days, it's not a chemist shoppe at all, but rather a Joyce shrine with readings and conversations centered on Joyce generally and Ulysses specifically. It was magical, I must say, but perhaps not for everyone. (Some folks stopping in during the reading were a little confused about what it was and what we were doing.) I only mention it because it was a personal highlight and isn't really mentioned in the tourist guides, but it's a must-see if you are at all a fan of Joyce.

In that area, though, is the National Library and National Gallery, recommended for the Brother's Yeats, if for no other reason. Jack was a painter, WB was a poet and dramatist, both active in their craft at the height of WWI and Ireland's struggle for independence. The Library, as mentioned, has an amazing WBY exhibit even if you're not a literature fan. It's free and should take about 60-90m. It's just near the Museum of Archaeology as well. Jack is featured prominently around the corner at the gallery. Seeing the progression of his work go from iconic Irish/Dublin-centered scenes to desolate and lonely emptiness ... well, I found it quite moving.

We stayed in Dun Laoghaire, about 20m by DART train to city center. Specifically we chose Ophira Guesthouse, mostly because it was nearly half the cost of staying at a similar place in Dublin proper. Walking the pier at sunup was one of the highlights of the trip. The piers go out about 1/2 mile (not sure exactly, maybe not quite that) and the south one, specifically, gives pretty spectacular views of the sunrise to the Southeast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.