Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm finding this game to be a bit inscrutable. I've come close-ish to winning (a few turns away from victory), but I really don't think I understand what a 'good' pathway to victory is. I've been playing exclusively solo and with the Human faction, if that matters.

Does anyone have any vague strategy tips that could aim me (and other newbies) in the right direction?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Hermans
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't be afraid to use spells in the first round
The first round you have 5 units (or less due to infiltrator) to handle the same amount of enemies as in later rounds where you still have units left from previous rounds.
Even killing a 2 damage unit in the first round can easily prevent 6 or 8 damage overall.

Make sure your armies can reach the boss

Human hint
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Keep your movement cards (eagles) as long in your hand as possible.
It is very hard to gather 40 combat strength in one round, so keep your units with movement effects in reserve for bosses or emergencies that would make you lose the game. No other card has the same impact.

Count the strength you can muster for the final fight

common hint
Each enemy unit costs one unit to kill, and you will lose 4 more units due to infiltrator. This means that 19 of your 35 units will be killed in a perfect run.
So try only to kill enemies, and do not sacrifice units to prevent 1 damage. Later in the game it might be necessary to sacrifice a couple of units to prevent 2 damage.

Human hint
You don't have enough strength if you sacrifice your pack attack specials (dogs): you need all 5 of them at the same location to deal with bosses. Just add some fodder (The final dog is effectively 9 strength, so I will always sacrifice any unit of strength 5 or less instead of a dog, and sometimes even a strength 7 or 8 card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial post was as below, but as I missed an important rule, it is pointless and should not be taken into account

Initial post wrote:

A few general and obvious tips :

- Always put weak characters on gates with battle (the 1, 2, 3), so you don't lose any important or strong fighter during battle.
- I found the early game harder with humans, because morale was dropping too fast. So I found useful to play at least one (weak) fighter against each foe in order to reduce the morale drop.
- don't waste your spells. Can't remember their names, but removing a 22 foe can be done even during elite rounds. Don't waste it on 17 or 19 foes. The other one should be kept for bosses, and most likely the first one (the last is easiest because your army is more prepared). EDIT: wrong, spells can't affect bosses.
- I found useful to keep an eagle (or two if you can afford) for the late game, because your army can be scattered.
- try no to go too far in the middle, stay close to the extremities. I generally try to be at the gate just before one end, so I can reach 3 gates from here (but sometimes you can't really choose). It's not a very useful tip, but the idea is : anticipate what can come and where, and don't be overwhelmed

I played the base game a few times, and I am now in the second chapter of the expansion, so I'm not an expert. But I found the base game manageable (and easier with the elves, so maybe you could try them, and see if you find the game easier this way too ?)

EDIT: ninja'ed !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
toooooof wrote:

- don't waste your spells. Can't remember their names, but removing a 22 foe can be done even during elite rounds. Don't waste it on 17 or 19 foes. The other one should be kept for bosses, and most likely the first one (the last is easiest because your army is more prepared).

I'm pretty sure bosses can't be affected by spells?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gatesphere wrote:
I'm pretty sure bosses can't be affected by spells?

Then I missed a rule !

rulebook wrote:
Boss Invaders are immune to all Spells and Defender Effects

You're right ! That would make things much harder ! I have to start over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Hermans
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, the current consensus seems to be that City Shield can be played on the gate besieged by a boss, since the spell does not target the boss but the gate.
And the effect is the same when using it on another 4 strength enemy, so I can't see any balancing reasons to disallow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweet Lemon
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bthermans wrote:
Don't worry, the current consensus seems to be that City Shield can be played on the gate besieged by a boss, since the spell does not target the boss but the gate.
And the effect is the same when using it on another 4 strength enemy, so I can't see any balancing reasons to disallow it.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I was not that wrong, but this is pure accident, because I truly missed the rule.
Still, I found the elves easier because I played the spell that halves enemy strength on the first boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, from my perspective, Elves are easier than Humans. I would thus advise to try that.
The other suggestion I'd make would be to tip the randomness artificially in your favor by dealing the walls with built-in defense to the sides (just for a game with the Humans, to see if it changes anything for you?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.