Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: My experience with the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Dukai
msg tools
I play this game online from time to time against the AI, trying out different strategies.

I always open notepad to keep track of every card in my deck. Mainly to know how many of each card I have, what I should buy.

I tried out the main strategies like big money and engines, but I don't really know when to buy what. Like, when people talk about the endgame.. when is that? I need silver and gold, but that takes up valuable turns. How many do I buy? Trashing copper and estates is good, but that takes up time as well. I usually try to use Mine or Chapel to get rid of cards, but again... slow.

After how many turns do you start buying Provinces? How many of each card for an engine? So many questions.

I am still reluctant to buy this game to play with my wife. She is not so hardcore, and I would at least make an effort to play better. But I always felt that I like to play the game but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Should I buy it? Maybe after some more learning. What do you think?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be better for you and your wife to learn together. Once one person figures out the strategy of the base game, that person can regularly defeat someone just learning. So if you figure it out and then buy it and introduce your wife to it, she might not like losing most of the time. Dominion is for hardcore gamers and casual gamers so she should like it if she likes any light to medium weight games.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Helfer
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is one of our favourite games. As such, I would recommend it. It does depend on how much of a gamer your wife is. You don't have to be super hardcore, but it's not the easiest either.

Dominion is a game of skill. And a lot of your questions are a matter of experience. In general, I would almost always buy a province when I have the money... but there are exceptions.

Trashing is a little trickier. It depends a lot on what kind of trasher it is, and what else is available. In general, trashing is good, because it lets you draw your good cards more quickly. That actually speeds up your deck, allowing you to finish the game faster.

In general, you shouldn't focus on what's in your deck, but on what is in your hand. Meaning, you want the odds to be in favour of you getting a hand that will do good stuff for you. If you draw two action cards, one of them is wasted, unless at least one has an extra action.

That is also the secret to engines. If you can trash some stuff, a few cards can go quite far. If you can't trash, you need more cards to start your engine.

Dominion is one of those "Easy to learn - hard to master" games. So much of the game is about getting a feel for your deck, and being able to fathom what the others are doing. That is the challenge of the game - but also the fun part. As such, if your wife enjoys medium to medium-light games, I would recommend trying it out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
msg tools
When I play against the AI, I sometimes get steamrolled. When I am trying to build my engine, only several turns later, the AI already has Gold and starts buying Provinces, and he managed to Trash his Coppers and Estates too, somehow.

I try to chain together Village + Smithy + Laboratory, etc. But I usually lack Silver or Gold to make those turns much better.

I feel like every turn matters, and sometimes I feel like buying nothing is a better play than spending all my coins.

This means that in order for my engine to run, I need a few of each card, and buy nothing else. But then when I start buying Victory points, my deck becomes bloated, and I draw Estate, Copper and Provinces. I know that Trashing is good. I use Chapel in my 10-carder. For cycling I use Cellar, but Trashing all the Copper / Estate is so slow, and I have to buy Gold and Silver at the same time. It's just so hard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be under the mistaken impression that when you spend treasure cards they go back to the supply instead of to your discard pile. Otherwise I can see no sense in the statement that you should just buy nothing to save your treasure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
msg tools
No, it's not that. I just think the deck becomes bloated, and I draw Victory points instead of useful cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Isagam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danieldukai wrote:
Like, when people talk about the endgame.. when is that? I need silver and gold, but that takes up valuable turns. How many do I buy? Trashing copper and estates is good, but that takes up time as well. I usually try to use Mine or Chapel to get rid of cards, but again... slow.

After how many turns do you start buying Provinces? How many of each card for an engine? So many questions.



It's all very situational depending on what kingdom cards are in play. That's one of the major appeals of the game - each game is different depending on the card mix.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
msg tools
It's situational, yes. Depends on the kingdom cards, yes. But how come the AI always steamrolls me, even if I try to copy its strategy? There must be something wrong that I'm doing wrong. While I'm trying to thin my deck with Chapel, like it does every time I play against it, I lose, even though I try to do everything like the AI does, step by step.

The games usually end at around turn 13 - 18, pretty crazy.

I know that most of the game is situational, but there must be a couple of tips and tricks that apply to all games.

EDIT: The timing is very crucial, and there is some added luck factor, I feel. Like, you have a couple of turns to thin your deck a bit, then buy 2-3 coins, have consistent card draw, and then you can begin buying Provinces.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danieldukai wrote:
No, it's not that. I just think the deck becomes bloated, and I draw Victory points instead of useful cards.


Don't worry about drawing victory points until you are getting 8 coins in your hand or until your opponent starts drawing them. Then you might need to draw a Duchy or two to keep pace if you're not getting to 8 coins in any turns.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
danieldukai wrote:
No, it's not that. I just think the deck becomes bloated, and I draw Victory points instead of useful cards.


Don't worry about drawing victory points until you are getting 8 coins in your hand or until your opponent starts drawing them. Then you might need to draw a Duchy or two to keep pace if you're not getting to 8 coins in any turns.


By "draw", I assume you mean "buy" or "gain"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
rickert wrote:
danieldukai wrote:
No, it's not that. I just think the deck becomes bloated, and I draw Victory points instead of useful cards.


Don't worry about drawing victory points until you are getting 8 coins in your hand or until your opponent starts drawing them. Then you might need to draw a Duchy or two to keep pace if you're not getting to 8 coins in any turns.


By "draw", I assume you mean "buy" or "gain"?


No I meant when your opponent is drawing 8 coins into their hand regularly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.