Subject: The All-Inclusive Mass Homicide, and Gun Control Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RSP_guns [+] [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the Parkland High School killings, I thought this appropriate, as a spot for discussion about the usual stuff, when mass shootings occur.

Thoughts and prayers.

Yet another case of a guy that has a clear and traceable history of issues, that would indicate he should not come anywhere close to a gun, and yet, he was able to legally purchase said gun.

When will we learn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/15/trump-florida-shoo...

Trumps tweet misses the bigger point, sadly. Despite the fact that neighbors, friends, etc, may have known about Cruz' problems, the Second Amendment disallows them from taking action, as the law currently stands. It doesn't matter that they KNOW about his issues, when there is NO LAW in place, to prevent him from LEGALLY obtaining a gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump Putin lesson #347

Incite the masses to inform on their neighbors. Only the guilty have anything to fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Valentine's day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gun control is a non-starter to Americans.

"In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate. Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over." - Dan Hodges
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

"In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate. Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over." - Dan Hodges

I'm not sure that's true in the long run. I keep thinking that the gun nut demographic tracks relatively closely to the Trump voter demographic. Following that thought, I continue to think that the Trump election was a reactionary rear guard action by an aging segment of the population that will be dying out over the next several decades. I think as these people die off, the nation will continue to trend more progressive, and with that, desire for real gun control may become the majority view.

Yeah, I'm an optimist, but I think the macro level trends are hopeful, even if we have the occasional backtrack as the old guard lashes out in their dying moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Amazingly great quote.

There's this dumb opinion piece on CNN that shows up after each mass shooting (i.e. every week). "Do we love our guns more than our kids." I have to roll my eyes at that because, fucking duh, yeah. Nothing is more important in the US than guns. So mass murder is just a price we have to pay.

Thoughts and prayers. On to the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
There's this dumb opinion piece on CNN that shows up after each mass shooting (i.e. every week). "Do we love our guns more than our kids." I have to roll my eyes at that because, fucking duh, yeah. Nothing is more important in the US than guns. So mass murder is just a price we have to pay.

I think the problem is that there is little thought to "our" kids. The demographic of which you speak is a little too far on the scale of "your" kids and "my" kids. They can rationalize away any risk to "their" kids (if they have any) in their zealousness to protect their gun ownership. At the end of the day they have little regard for anyone but themselves and theirs. "I taught my child to shoot when they were 6 years old, they could protect themselves if the evil government would let them!" is a very unrealistic sentiment I'm sure most people have heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I'm not sure that's true in the long run. I keep thinking that the gun nut demographic tracks relatively closely to the Trump voter demographic. Following that thought, I continue to think that the Trump election was a reactionary rear guard action by an aging segment of the population that will be dying out over the next several decades. I think as these people die off, the nation will continue to trend more progressive, and with that, desire for real gun control may become the majority view.

Yeah, I'm an optimist, but I think the macro level trends are hopeful, even if we have the occasional backtrack as the old guard lashes out in their dying moments.

You may be right, but I don't share the optimism. In the gun toting sectinons of the country, where the die-hards live (typically the center of the country, and South), father just passes his guns to his son, and the mindset does not change. They just have to have their guns. "From my cold dead hand" is their attitude, and I think this is more of a family/cultural passdown, that might not be so easily swayed, over the passage of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
dkearns wrote:

I think the problem is that there is little thought to "our" kids. The demographic of which you speak is a little too far on the scale of "your" kids and "my" kids. They can rationalize away any risk to "their" kids (if they have any) in their zealousness to protect their gun ownership. At the end of the day they have little regard for anyone but themselves and theirs. "I taught my child to shoot when they were 6 years old, they could protect themselves if the evil government would let them!" is a very unrealistic sentiment I'm sure most people have heard.

Firearm ownership is extremely selfish.

Only 7 people died in the original St. Valentines Day Massacre and that helped get the National Firearms Act of 1934 passed, which severely restricted civilian ownership of fully automatic firearms. I can only hope that sometime in the next 5 years we can get a law passed that restricts the ownership of high capacity magazine semi-automatic firearms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

You may be right, but I don't share the optimism. In the gun toting sectinons of the country, where the die-hards live (typically the center of the country, and South), father just passes his guns to his son, and the mindset does not change. They just have to have their guns. "From my cold dead hand" is their attitude, and I think this is more of a family/cultural passdown, that might not be so easily swayed, over the passage of time.

Yeah, I've given up hope. Gun control is a lost cause. Does anyone know what happened with the bump stock thing? Were they actually banned? I don't think so. Now there's a piece of legislation that would have done absolutely nothing except show that there is some willingness to do the absolute bare minimum to limit mass murder potential and even that I think died in Congress somewhere.

It's just so depressing and frustrating. The selfishness and lack of empathy in this allegedly christian country is just impossible to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Yeah, I've given up hope. Gun control is a lost cause. Does anyone know what happened with the bump stock thing? Were they actually banned? I don't think so. Now there's a piece of legislation that would have done absolutely nothing except show that there is some willingness to do the absolute bare minimum to limit mass murder potential and even that I think died in Congress somewhere.

It's just so depressing. The selfishness and lack of empathy in this allegedly christian country is just impossible to think about.

Laughs, don't be fooled. The CHRISTIANS are BIG gun holders in this country. There seems to be no quandry for a Christian, to own a gun in this country. Most of the areas I mentioned earlier (Central and South US) are also Bible Belt zones. Do not look to Christians, to spout off about the evils of guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that Mark Rubio has already come out with the "..too soon to debate whether tighter gun laws could have stopped it." horseshit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems too many fall for the 'no one gun control law can stop all mass shootings, so therefore we shouldn't try any at all' line of 'reasoning'.

It's obvious they will continue to happen but wouldn't it be nice to, you know, reduce the frequency or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
It seems too many fall for the 'no one gun control law can stop all mass shootings, so therefore we shouldn't try any at all' line of 'reasoning'.

It's obvious they will continue to happen but wouldn't it be nice to, you know, reduce the frequency or something?

In the US, conservative thinking is dominated by the slippery slope fallacy.

That any law that limits guns in any way immediately and logically proceeds to "ban all guns".

There's no nuance or debate that can be had. So, all we have is alternating positions of "too soon to discuss gun control" and "no reason to discuss gun control".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many conservatives in the USA seem to believe that freedom and liberty can only be preserved if citizens are armed to the teeth. The fact that many other first world nations enjoy freedom and liberty, without firearms, is a data point they refuse to acknowledge. To them, mass shootings are literally collateral damage for having freedom and liberty. There's just no way they'll agree to any sort of gun control.

It's insane, but that's where we are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
At this point, my reaction to this shit is just "Blood for the blood god".

People's gun fetishes and "right" to fondle the weapon of their choice are more important than any amount of innocent blood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to get into the 2nd amendment debate other than that I agree with Leo, insofar as the legislation proposed once the old white men die off has to be reasonable, bi-partisan, and actually serve to stop these incidents. If those things hold true, it can happen in the next 20 years.

However, I came here to talk about the NRA. In spite of my strong support of the 2nd amendment and resistance to banning types of guns, I will never join or support the NRA. If they really cared about preserving the right to responsibly own and use guns, they would be doing everything they possibly could to understanding WHY people desire to murder as many strangers as possible and HOW to stop it. Instead, they respond in such a way to lay out for anybody willing to actually see the evidence, that they are heartless, callous, and dead inside, and only care about preserving the pocketbooks of their corporate overlords. To defend the access of insane people to have guns is beyond the pale. To suggest that the solution to a society that produces people who want to commit mass murder EVERY COUPLE OF WEEKS is to arm the rest of the population is so utterly void of compassion or understanding that I can't see it as anything other than pure evil.

There is middle ground that they refuse to acknowledge. Instead they actively seek to destroy it.

We need to seek to understand why our society is a factory for insane people who want to murder strangers. This comes before the guns. There is nothing about a gun that when it comes into physical contact of the skin converts people into insane killers. We need to desperately research how to stop it. And if we can't stop it immediately, how to prevent these insane people from getting guns legally and illegally.

For me, that means:

. . . massive research funding to understand this societal cancer
. . . better mental health care and availability in general
. . . researching guns that only fire for their master
. . . restricting access to guns for people who aren't mentally healthy and stable
. . . restricting straw purchases and purchases that avoid background checks
. . . restricting the rapid buildup of guns to a single collector
. . . mental health checks and/or certification in order to purchase guns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Fetishes is right: Behind all the second amendment bs, the fact is that the NRA voting block's real reason is that they just really like it, like a sexual fetish. The difference here is that the rest of us don't consent, but it doesn't matter.

Things would be different if we considered carrying a gun in public what it is: The equivalent of public masturbation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:

. . . restricting access to guns for people who aren't healthy and stable

Note that "people who aren't healthy and stable" can quickly become "people who are not like the local sheriff. The NRA gets mad about any gun restriction... to white people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

Note that "people who aren't healthy and stable" can quickly become "people who are not like the local sheriff. The NRA gets mad about any gun restriction... to white people.

The local Sheriff might be the one who needs his guns taken away, BTW, but I digress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

Laughs, don't be fooled. The CHRISTIANS are BIG gun holders in this country. There seems to be no quandry for a Christian, to own a gun in this country. Most of the areas I mentioned earlier (Central and South US) are also Bible Belt zones. Do not look to Christians, to spout off about the evils of guns.
Eighteen or nineteen school shootings in less than two months this year, yet guns are sacrosanct. But "We are pro-life"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
I'm not going to get into the gun control debate other than that I agree with Leo, insofar as the legislation proposed once the old white men die off has to be reasonable, bi-partisan, and actually serve to stop these incidents. If those things hold true, it can happen in the next 20 years.

However, I came here to talk about the NRA. In spite of my strong support of the 2nd amendment and resistance to banning types of guns, I will never join or support the NRA. If they really cared about preserving the right to responsibly own and use guns, they would be doing everything they possibly could to understanding WHY people desire to murder as many strangers as possible and HOW to stop it. Instead, they respond in such a way to lay out for anybody willing to actually see the evidence, that they are heartless, callous, and dead inside, and only care about preserving the pocketbooks of their corporate overlords. To defend the access of insane people to have guns is beyond the pale. To suggest that the solution to a society that produces people who want to commit mass murder EVERY COUPLE OF WEEKS is to arm the rest of the population is so utterly void of compassion or understanding that I can't see it as anything other than pure evil.

There is middle ground that they refuse to acknowledge. Instead they actively seek to destroy it.

We need to seek to understand why our society is a factory for insane people who want to murder strangers. This comes before the guns. There is nothing about a gun that when it comes into physical contact of the skin converts people into insane killers. We need to desperately research how to stop it. And if we can't stop it immediately, how to prevent these insane people from getting guns legally and illegally.

For me, that means:

. . . massive research funding to understand this societal cancer
. . . restricting straw purchases and purchases that avoid background checks
. . . restricting the rapid buildup of guns to a single collector
. . . mental health checks and/or certification in order to purchase guns

I think the only solution is the British one, deprive most people of their gums. The second amendment directly drives kids being shot, a fact that you are in denial of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.