BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Travelgate II rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/14/scott-pruitt-first...

Another Travelgate in the making. Pruitt stonewalling for requests about his travel expenses. Apparently he flies first class often. And he's supposed to obtain permission to do that from oversight committee prior to doing it. And it's unclear whether he is doing that. But you'll have to file a FOIA request, to find out now. Drain the Swamp! MAGA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/14/scott-pruitt-first...

Another Travelgate in the making. Pruitt stonewalling for requests about his travel expenses. Apparently he flies first class often. And he's supposed to obtain permission to do that from oversight committee prior to doing it. And it's unclear whether he is doing that. But you'll have to file a FOIA request, to find out now. Drain the Swamp! MAGA!

That piece says he needs per flight approval even for business class. That might perhaps be overdoing it a bit. I wouldn't object if a British equivalent of the head of the EPA flew business class. The security rationale is bogus, but on a short trip he could be working and on a long trip rested up. But first isn't necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
That piece says he needs per flight approval even for business class. That might perhaps be overdoing it a bit. I wouldn't object if a British equivalent of the head of the EPA flew business class. The security rationale is bogus, but on a short trip he could be working and on a long trip rested up. But first isn't necessary.
Unfortunately, under this administration, the head of the EPA getting less done actually makes us all healthier. I say, make him take a Greyhound, for the environment's sake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Unfortunately, under this administration, the head of the EPA getting less done actually makes us all healthier. I say, make him take a Greyhound, for the environment's sake.
And take the seat in the back, next to the rest room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
And take the seat in the back, next to the rest room.

That's where use pukes that smuggled booze in sit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

You make a good point, but perhaps he should cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

You make a good point, but perhaps he should cycle.

Only after midnight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
That piece says he needs per flight approval even for business class.

It's worth noting - business class really isn't a "thing" in the US except for international flights, which is different than most European airlines, IIRC. It's very hard to find business class except on a very few transcontinental routes (usually JFK to LAX or SFO), and even those are limited to 1-2 airlines. There's first class and economy. And the price bump between the two is dramatic.

Many airlines offer a version of "economy plus," but that isn't a separate cabin. He'd still have to put up with the hoi poloi.

It's really pretty outrageous and only continues a line of wasteful spending that Pruitt has engaged in since entering his office. For the love of Pete, he had a special flag made that's flown at EPA headquarters to show that he's in the building, installed a soundproof room so nobody could eavesdrop on his conversations/calls, and spent a ridiculous amount remodeling his office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
As another datum, I fly business class overseas, and have flown at my company's expense. The ability to work in flight and not lose a day to jet lag is worth the money at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
As another datum, I fly business class overseas, and have flown at my company's expense. The ability to work in flight and not lose a day to jet lag is worth the money at some point.

Every company that I've worked for that allowed this required a minimum travel time before you could book business/first class. And that was never less than 7 hours. And if it was travel that was billable to a client, the client still needed to approve the additional expense.

All of which is a round-about way of saying "None of Pruitt's travel would qualify at the overwhelming majority of private companies." Nor should it. The man is independently wealthy - if he doesn't want to rub elbows with people that might be mean to him, he can pay his own airfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-epa-travel/house-demo...

House Dems get tough with Pruitt. Gotta love this one;

Pruitt did not immediately reply to a request for comment on the letter from members of the House panel. He recently said in a television interview that he was instructed to travel first class due to security threats and “uncomfortable” confrontations with other passengers.

The letter from the lawmakers asked Pruitt to explain why he believes security threats are reduced in first class cabins.

Pruit - "But, but, first class people would NEVER confront me, they are, well, they are...umm, FIRST CLASS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.