Subject: How does media mail work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently traded with someone and they shipped a fairly large game media mail. After looking this up myself, I'm still confused how Media Mail actually works. Can someone enlighten me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they were wrong to send it as media mail. It does not apply to games. hang on I've linked the page saying so before, I'll try to find it. The intent for media mail is to help educational resources be shipped.

not the one I was hoping for but:
https://www.stamps.com/whitepapers/media-mail-rate-guide.pdf

yes its illegal; yes you will probably always get away with it even some post office workers will say its ok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the USPS website:

What is Media Mail?
Media Mail is a cost-effective way to send media materials through the U.S. Postal Service. You can send books, videotapes, DVDs, CDs, printed music and other sound recordings through Media Mail as long as they weigh less than 70 pounds. Although you won’t pay as much to send these items via Media Mail, they can take longer to get to their destination. USPS estimates that your item will arrive in 2 to 10 days.

The savings with Media Mail can add up. If you're a Stamps.com customer sending a 1-pound package, it will cost $6.35 and up with Priority Mail (using the Stamps.com discount) and only $2.66 with Media Mail. Using Media Mail in this situation will save you around 53 percent in postage costs.

The drawback of Media Mail is that USPS has a right to open and inspect your package to check for abuse of the system. Therefore, you shouldn’t mail advertisements (except for a book announcement with a book) or other non-media material through Media Mail because you will risk having your package sent back to you for insufficient postage. Even including a birthday card in the package can cause your parcel to be sent back because the card isn't an approved form of media by the U.S. Postal Service.

Bottom line is, he shipped it illegally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that was my concern; I considered using it myself, but it seemed like didn't apply to boardgames, so I wanted to double check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have received media mail packages with games, and the PO opened the package and sent me a note that it was postage-due. You (or really the sender) was just lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lj1983 wrote:
I have received media mail packages with games, and the PO opened the package and sent me a note that it was postage-due. You (or really the sender) was just lucky.

Oh, I'd be super pissed about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jreilly89 wrote:
Recently traded with someone and they shipped a fairly large game media mail. After looking this up myself, I'm still confused how Media Mail actually works. Can someone enlighten me?

more info over at

Using USPS media mail to ship games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jreilly89 wrote:
lj1983 wrote:

Oh, I'd be super pissed about that.

oh yeah I was... luckily the sender paypal'd me the money to pay for it, saying they were misinformed about media mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think however you can mail rpg books media mail as they are in fact books
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hippiephysicschick wrote:
I think however you can mail rpg books media mail as they are in fact books

For sure - I’ve done it lots of times. No issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.