Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricardo Dubcek
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi folks,
I was playing solo with the Arverni the other day and coasted to a rather easy victory, which makes me question whether I was playing the bots right. Disclaimer upfront, I don’t have the rulebook in front of me and a few days have passed, so I may not remember all details on setup and plays with full accuracy, but I have played the game quite a few times, so I hope I won’t say anything too silly.

I was playing the long scenario, with Caesar and the legions starting in Britannia. There was no threat to them there and plenty auxilia were available, so they sat there recruiting for a while, including placing an ally. Winter came and whittled down a few auxilia, as Britannia was out of supply, Romans had no money and Aedui had less than 8 (no legions died, surprisingly).

The next campaign comes along and Caesar is in Provincia with a bunch of auxilia, so what does he do? March to Germania and bash the black bot repeatedly… just with auxilia, as the legions are happily sitting in Britannia. Eventually he succeeds in totally eliminating the Germans (I as Arverni am doing my thing, unconcerned with the Romans) and then second winter comes along. Legions are still in Britannia but this time Caesar can pay, so no one dies.

And now the weirdest thing. Like me, the Belgae bot was also unconcerned with the Romans and was rallying away (I actually had to invade Belgica before second winter to stop auto victory, as they had a colony and control of Treveri), with a huge yellow blob sitting I think in Atrebates. There were few auxilia available anymore so no more recruiting for the Romans, which then decide to march their legions out of Britannia… straight into the yellow blob with Ambiorix. Britannia march prevents SA, so there stood the brave legions out in the open, without fort, facing some 20 Belgian warbands led by Ambiorix. I’ll spare you the gruesome details, but Ambiorix charged and all six legions died… leaving me well above my victory threshold, as I had been rallying allies all over Celtica unimpeded by the German-bashing Romans and ever so slightly by the Aedui, whom I could entreat every once in a while to reclaim my green discs.

From then on I just had to take it easy looking out for the Belgic until the third winter came, but that was not too much of a challenge. Does anybody know if I missed out on something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Dubcek
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, I downloaded the rulebook and just saw where I went wrong. I understand Romans should have gone to Morini and not Atrebates, as there losses as result of subsequent battle would be the lowest (while still having Belgic allies there, since Veneti was empty). That would have saved the Roman legions from Ambiorix’s onslaught. Is that right?

And I was so happy with my victory  I still think the Romans wouldn’t have won, as they would have then spent time fighting the Belgae (which was actually good for me) and had anyway wasted too much time on the Germans (unless I got that wrong as well), but I would have definitely had a hard time getting rid of those legions.

If anyone spots any other blunders I’ll be happy to hear them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your experience is a little bit of an indictment of the bots. There's a huge appetite for solo play out there, but this experience illustrates the difference.

Essentially, the bots created a situation that gave Arverni a win. The Romans foolishly charged into Ambiorix. The Belgic foolishly killed enough legions to give Averni the win, and none of the bots pursued a strategy to keep the Averni from achieving victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the legions that came into play during the first winter? Did they join Caesar in his attack against the Germans?
In my experience the appearance of those legions causes a march which brings the legions out of Britannia if they haven't left before then (which they usually will have done already by that point).

As you already noted, the Romans shouldn't have charged to their doom. They probably should also have split up their troops (marching to two destinations unless there are only few legions on the map)

Not sure why you find the behaviour of the Belgae weird; as you noted they were about to win if you wouldn't have intervened.

How did rallying troops take the whole season? Romans should be placing ~8 auxilia based on setup (build fort in Britannia, place ally there and rally 3 auxilia. Atrabates place 2 auxilia, Provincia place ally and 3 auxilia)
That plus the starting units means that on their next turn they don't have enough auxilia off map to trigger rallying.

Without a more detailed turn breakdown it's hard to say exactly what went wrong, but overall this does not match my experience with the bots, causing me to believe that you did indeed misinterpret the flowchart in places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RicardoDubcek wrote:
OK, I downloaded the rulebook and just saw where I went wrong. I understand Romans should have gone to Morini and not Atrebates, as there losses as result of subsequent battle would be the lowest (while still having Belgic allies there, since Veneti was empty). That would have saved the Roman legions from Ambiorix’s onslaught. Is that right?

Maybe the bots are smarter than we thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.