Subject: Not much of a campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Received my pre-order copy yesterday. Started a "campaign" game.

I have to say, underwhelmed is the key word here. If you were expecting something akin to Road to Legend for Descent, this is not it.

This could have easily been a small box expansion except for the additional Resources mechanism, new monsters/old one, new characters, etc. The campaign rules are 1 sheet and basically amount to: play 6 games, with each game you know what the next GOO is going to be and use the prelude cards for both. ???

What IS noticeable is the huge ad for the Masks of Nyarlathotep book for the CoC RPG that sits on top of the rules in the package.

If you're expecting something more substantial from a big box expansion, you can skip this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume T.
France
Reunion island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems like you've been disappointed to say the least.
Thanks for giving your opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Jagodziński
msg tools
If I may Ask out of curiosity, which 3 Gates are included in this expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if they'll be ending EH expansions. Such a bait and switch with the word "campaign" seems like they don't care anymore. The only thing in this to remotely make it worth big box status is the personal stories I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bj Price
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Organization makes me happy!
badge
"Cult" is what a big congregation calls a little congregation.
mbmbmbmbmb
bart89 wrote:
If I may Ask out of curiosity, which 3 Gates are included in this expansion?

From another thread https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1934935/new-info-campaign-o...

JasuBakuhatsu
Akashi_12 wrote:
Spill the guts on the new gates surprise

Nothing super exciting: Hyperborea (Space 13), Atlantis (Space 8), R'lyeh (Space 3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lo
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think FFG decided not to put much effort, since this more than likely the end of the road for EH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the capstone to release 2nd ed in 2019.

ANA seems to want to extend the life of existing properties rather than invest in new ones recently.

Either that or build in mobile app support for new content delivery that shrinks distribution costs while still supporting the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the capstone to release 2nd ed in 2019.

ANA seems to want to extend the life of existing properties rather than invest in new ones recently.

Either that or build in mobile app support for new content delivery that shrinks distribution costs while still supporting the game.

I think this was definitely the final big box. I would like to see some smaller, blister pack style expansions for more Ancient Ones though. There are still plenty (nearly a dozen at least) that could be added to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been subscribed to the EH forums. Would you guys mind updating me on the "end of EH?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
I haven't been subscribed to the EH forums. Would you guys mind updating me on the "end of EH?"

It's speculation since there are no more investigators and the game is getting a bit bloated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
If you were expecting something akin to Road to Legend for Descent, this is not it.

I definitely was not. Was expecting small things held over from game to game that makes your character simultaneously better and worse in different ways, like the LCG.

Is it like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
veector wrote:
If you were expecting something akin to Road to Legend for Descent, this is not it.

I definitely was not. Was expecting small things held over from game to game that makes your character simultaneously better and worse in different ways, like the LCG.

Is it like that?

The only thing that is held over for your character is personal story Reward or Consequence cards, Promise of Power and Dark Pact conditions. The only other thing held over are any cites that have been ruined. Otherwise you start fresh minus any investigators/Ancient Ones who have been defeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's disappointing.

I would be all over an Eldrtich Horror Legacy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any interest in an EH campaign mode, but I never really did. As long as the rest of the content is decent, those 55 Personal Stories are what I've been anticipating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy, opened it. Quite a lot of varied content, as well as new mechanisms. Zero to suggest effort wasn’t put in or the end is near.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
enzo622 wrote:

It's speculation since there are no more investigators and the game is getting a bit bloated.

There are no more investigators?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
Got my copy, opened it. Quite a lot of varied content, as well as new mechanisms. Zero to suggest effort wasn’t put in or the end is near.

Glad to hear it, and I have no doubt that's true.

What does suggest The End to me is how similar this feels to Miskatonic Horror, which also lacked a sideboard and had a lot of material that "expanded the expansions". Masks of Nyarlathotep certainly does that with having all 55 Investigators getting an individual pair of cards.

As far as there being "no more" Investigators, that's left over from when we thought Investigators of Arkham Horror was meant to be the final list. With Reyes, that has been proven untrue and there is no reason to think they can't just create as many more as they like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
Sindriss wrote:
enzo622 wrote:

There are no more investigators?

As of right now, no. With this expansion, all 55 current Arkham Investigators have been released for Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
As far as there being "no more" Investigators, that's left over from when we thought Investigators of Arkham Horror was meant to be the final list. With Reyes, that has been proven untrue and there is no reason to think they can't just create as many more as they like.

But is there need for more?

It's not like, with 50+, there's not enough variety. I don't know if I want more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
I don't have any interest in an EH campaign mode, but I never really did. As long as the rest of the content is decent, those 55 Personal Stories are what I've been anticipating.

The campaign rules are extremely simplistic. It's basically a variant anyone could have come up with. There is almost no physical components to support this style of play (not even resources) so it seems like an afterthought.

I don't have the game yet but it seems like there is also not a lot of new mechanisms/ideas (personal stories and resources only) and most things are rehashes of older things

e.g. chainsaw is like shotgun. Mystic ruins has been done before, as has talents, and unique assets.

Also as others pointed out, we're at/nearing the limit of KNOWN investigators in the AH universe, though there is no reason to think they arent going to make more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I am fine with the "campaign", its about what I expected based on the previews. I do agree that this is probably the last expansion we will see for a while, although don't think there will be a 2nd edition of this (doesn't need it at all), but I do think we may get a Arkham Horror 3rd edtion announced at Gencon this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the campaign is pretty weak and I doubt I will play it. It’s not interesting enough to even bother recording the games.

But the personal story cards are pretty exciting I think and I like the resource mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
They can but are they willing to? They haven't created an eighth investigator for MoN.

Xelto wrote:
But is there need for more?
As long as each one feels different I'll say the more the better. I can't tell precisely how much design space is left but they would sure be able to put together 5 more interesting individuals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Received my pre-order copy yesterday. Started a "campaign" game.

I have to say, underwhelmed is the key word here. If you were expecting something akin to Road to Legend for Descent, this is not it.

This could have easily been a small box expansion except for the additional Resources mechanism, new monsters/old one, new characters, etc. The campaign rules are 1 sheet and basically amount to: play 6 games, with each game you know what the next GOO is going to be and use the prelude cards for both. ???

What IS noticeable is the huge ad for the Masks of Nyarlathotep book for the CoC RPG that sits on top of the rules in the package.

If you're expecting something more substantial from a big box expansion, you can skip this one.

I had made a vow to move away from completionism, and I did not get the last small box. Now that I know that the campaign is basically not a campaign and the only thing are the 55 personal stories, which were already released by a fan earlier last year, I will not get this expansion. Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitrios Seretakis
Greece
Karpenisi
Euritania
flag msg tools
Kallisto wrote:

I had made a vow to move away from completionism, and I did not get the last small box. Now that I know that the campaign is basically not a campaign and the only thing are the 55 personal stories, which were already released by a fan earlier last year, I will not get this expansion. Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

You have to get the last small box! Trust me amazing expansion: lots of content, good investigators and the ruined cities is a very entertaining and fresh mechanism to the EH formula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.