Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Takagi
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last UBOOT: The Board Game update, Phalanx say that their next ks project will be Nanty Narking, a new version of Ankh-Morpork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the link to the post https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phalanxgames/uboot-the-...

Nanty Narking - which meant great fun in Victorian English - will be a new edition of Ankh-Morpork, one of the best designs of Martin Wallace, which due to sad turn of events, remains and will remain out of print. We have put a lot of time and effort to translate the design into realities of the Victorian Era, re-populating the city with personalities of the times - both real and fictional. Enjoy this great game in a great setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that without the Discworld theming it will only be an "OK" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:

Hi Andy,

I partially agree, but I'm not going to prejudge until I have seen what they come up with, especially with Martin Wallace who is one of my favourite designers.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, what a terrible name. I don't care what it meant in the past, I am never going to talk people into playing Nanty Narking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:

Really? Phalanx says it's "one of the best designs of Martin Wallace"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie King
United Kingdom
Abbotts Ann
Hants
flag msg tools
The cards relate to the characters from the books. Not having them would be like reimaging WWII games with made up countries and forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
=( Makes me sad there's less Discworld in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LeslieJK wrote:
The cards relate to the characters from the books. Not having them would be like reimaging WWII games with made up countries and forces.

Now, if you think where TP drew his inspiration from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ol_bubba wrote:
Here's the link to the post https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phalanxgames/uboot-the-...

Nanty Narking - which meant great fun in Victorian English

Well no it doesn't.

Nanty means no or none or nothing. Which dates back to the mid 19th century. Nanty (or nante as it is often spelled) is mainly used in Polari (gay slang) as can be heard on your genuine Julian and Sandy pieces on Round the Horne.

Narking is a verb that means either informing on someone to the police, or annoying someone. Both date back to the 19th century.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
el comandante wrote:
LeslieJK wrote:

Now, if you think where TP drew his inspiration from?

Although the Thames wasn't quite as "walkable" as the Ankh, and London probably hasn't been visited by dragons or wizards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never read a single book, but I love D:AM and can't easily imagine it being rethemed. Maybe Knizia is on retainer for that process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny Blount
New Zealand
flag msg tools
out to lunch
badge
same place I eat at
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
andyholt wrote:

Really? Phalanx says it's "one of the best designs of Martin Wallace"!

Yeah it is.

It hasn't been all that high a bar since Ankh Morpork was released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andyl wrote:
ol_bubba wrote:

Well no it doesn't.

Nanty means no or none or nothing. Which dates back to the mid 19th century. Nanty (or nante as it is often spelled) is mainly used in Polari (gay slang) as can be heard on your genuine Julian and Sandy pieces on Round the Horne.

Narking is a verb that means either informing on someone to the police, or annoying someone. Both date back to the 19th century.

http://theweek.com/articles/567412/56-delightful-victorian-s...

NANTY NARKING

A tavern term, popular from 1800 to 1840, that meant great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Playoffs Baby! Playoffs! F--n Right!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if there is any conversation of Phalanx printing a version of the never-published third game that was to be from the perspective of the Discworld gods? I remember seeing some pictures of a prototype floating around BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Turning the awful name over in my mind, wasn't Nanty Narking in the Seamstresses Guild?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
esirof wrote:
I wonder if there is any conversation of Phalanx printing a version of the never-published third game that was to be from the perspective of the Discworld gods? I remember seeing some pictures of a prototype floating around BGG.

I often think of this ‘never to be game’ and also thought about it coming out rethemed. But, like some have commented on in this thread, it would not be the same without a disc world theme. That’s not saying it would not be a blinding (Io) game but even so a trilogy that never quiet made it is sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Turning the awful name over in my mind, wasn't Nanty Narking in the Seamstresses Guild?

Now, what's so awful about it? What would you propose instead? Nanty Narking even sounds a bit like Anhk Morpork. Doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. "Ponder" Rummy
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
"there are many ways you can pay your rent, but that’s not really who you are, and the rest of the time you can polish a little part of your mind until it’s bright enough for someone else to notice." - Jerry Holkins
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
you're thinking of the Agony Aunts, perhaps? or maybe Nanny Ogg visiting the Seamstresses? or, more of a stretch, a certain Corporal Nobbs' girlfriend Tawnee?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumbelow wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
you're thinking of the Agony Aunts, perhaps? or maybe Nanny Ogg visiting the Seamstresses? or, more of a stretch, a certain Corporal Nobbs' girlfriend Tawnee?

A quick look at my copy of Turtle Recall doesn't have a listing for Nanty Narking as a citizen of Discworld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
ol_bubba wrote:

Well no it doesn't.

Why would someone say something like this without a quick check to see if the words were ever put together in the way the OP says?

http://publicdomainreview.org/collections/a-dictionary-of-vi...

https://www.waywordradio.org/nanty-narking/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:

I've seen (and laid my hands on) an actual physical prototype, had a quick read of the rule book... never got to play it, however. It seemed to have an interesting card-auction mechanism, which I'm sure Wallace could use in another game, if he thought it worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:

Sounds like a no for now.

I used a Q&A in the AuZtralia forums to ask that just a few days ago. Here is MW's reply:

Quote:
It was a pity about the third Discworld game. I had to rework the first version a lot, but I felt the second one did justice to the theme. I tried adapting it to a more general mythology game but it was too bland. A lot of the fun in a TP game is bringing in the specific character abilities and effects, which you do not get in a more general game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d have much preferred someone try an out of band discussion with the pratchetts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Oh, what a terrible name. I don't care what it meant in the past, I am never going to talk people into playing Nanty Narking.
Amen to that yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.