19 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Strategic discussion about investigators rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. K.
msg tools
Hello fellow Eldritch fans,

since there seems to be no recent and in depth discussions of all the investigators (even the expansion-specific forums only answer some rule questions), I thought I'd start one myself.
Mostly, I'm looking for some new way to see lesser used investigators for my group and some strategic small talk (since there doesn't appear to be any place really dedicated to EH strategy discussions). I'll just say what's on my mind for all the characters and hope to spark some arguments from there. Notice, that my arguments have playing with all expansions in mind.

Huge wall of text incoming, since I'm talking about every investigator released up until now. I'd love for you to just comment on your favourite investigator, talk strategy or ask for help using some characters. And of course, if there is already an existing thread or other site of this kind, I'd love to see it!

Note: I haven't included sheets or pictures of characters or starting equipment, since the post is already quite lengthy as is, thank you for your understanding.

Base investigators

Akachi Onyele

Akachi seems to be made for closing gates, given her high mobility and lore/willpower. The problem we've been regularly facing with her is her mediocre other stats. Also, with only 3 lore you're find yourself botching her mist spell more often than you'd want her to fail it. With only 2 observation she's also unlikely to do any research and her active is an actiondump at best. Since Dreamland's Luke came along we've almost never considered her again for serious gateclosing.

Charlie Kane
The OG sugardaddy. His abilities still compare favourably to newer high-influence characters. Dump him in Tokyo or London and see that your team is well equipped. He's even good for some rumour solving, since his 3 observation allow him to gather clues mostly effectively. Overall he's among our top picks.

Diana Stanley
High lore and strength (coupled with her passive) make Diana a really capable fighter, which gets even more potent against certain cultist-centered old ones. You'd be tempted to try her as a gatecloser, since she'll be able to clear monsters, but her low willpower doesn't really help in that regard. But Diana is a great investigator anyway, being able to do research encounters with some reliability and gather (not to mention use) support spells.

Jaqueline Fine

The other great support investigator the base game brought us. Playing with Jaquie almost feels like turning on easy-mode for us (maybe it's because there's hardly a turn without one of us gaining a condition). Clue-focused mysteries and rumours turn into a cakewalk and due to her starting spell she's also able to contribute to combat encounters in a somewhat meaningful way. Huge fan!

Jim Culver
Although he seems fine on paper, he's never been more than that for us. I feel like we're missing something – the bonus die is great, but in a 4 player game we're hardly sticking around together fighting (except when there's a epic monster that needs a beating), and even then it doesn't really feel that great. Sanity regen and the ability to dispose of monsters during the action phase are a huge plus and his statspread is okay, it's just that there always seems to be someone better at anything among the 40+ other investigators..

Leo Anderson
This one also suffers from “okayish all around, but there are better persons for the job”. True, with all the new, expensive and powerful allies, his action is a whole lot more valuable. On the other hand, those allies are now buried in a enormous stack of cards. The passive calls for expeditions and is pretty useful against some of the old ones, but I don't usually have enough time to slowly walk towards the expeditions and the wilderness-heavy Oos also focus on fighting, which Leo needs some help with..

Lily Chen
I don't like her. Her passive would be useful to push her “meh” stats towards a good level, if you had the time to hang around Shangai, Istanbul, and San Francisco. And then you're not doing what Lily probably should be doing: fighting (which frankly, due to her lacking starting items, isn't all that great). Her active can be used to optimize resting or otherwise survive hairy situations, but it's nothing to write home about.

Lola Hayes
Lola ist a great all rounder. And despite that being a bad thing for some investigators in my book (looking at you, Jim and Leo), Lola somehow makes it work due to her influence. You just buy your weak spots away, move improvements around as needed and have a free bonus die each round. Maybe it's selective perception at work, but Lola fits in a whole lot more groups than most others.

Mark Harrigan
No. There are so much better dedicated fighters in later expansions, and even in the base game I'd rather not send in a 4-sanity guy. The stats are awkward for just about any encounter after defeating all the monsters and the abilities are nice, but not nice enough to salvage my group's opinion of him.

Norman Withers
Free clues, great starting spell and the ability to not only ignore threats, but actively discard them – what's not to like? Low influence usually doesn't hinder Norman and with his spell he never really suffers from wasted turns. Nice support-caster, gatecloser, and mystery-solver.

Silas Marsh
Despite the 1 lore hurting quite often (at least it feels that way), Silas' stats are spread out quite nicely. His mobility is a welcome sight, even though his starting equipment is somewhat lacking. The bonus die rarely gets used, since there's so few important encounters on ocean spaces, but it's nice to have. His sanity, though, is his biggest liability I'd say, but other than that I'm happy to have him.

Trish Scarborough
Trish is an odd duck. She wants to do research encounters, but that suddenly turns off her active. She wants to use clues for rerolls, yet I haven't had the luxury of throwing around clues without needing them elsewhere. Her ability to generate clues out of thin air is nevertheless a nice boon, and with her stats and equipment she can fill the role of a (secondary) fighter and buyer. She is probably one of the few 4 observation investigators I like (more on that later).

Mountains of Madness

Agnes Baker
I like Agnes. The ability to freely gain spells is a valuable asset against Yog Sothoth and Atlach Nacha, her ability to gain 2 bonus dice is great and spirit storm is everything I want for a caster. Her willpower is holding her back as dedicated gate closer, though, and her observation is lacking. She is a great (support)caster and fighter and also never ever suffers from wasted turns.

Daisy Walker

The other easy-mode investigator, but I'm sure that is a popular opinion. Her starting spell rocks, the ability to use it while resting is a huge plus and even her stats don't disappoint. The fact that her active pulls books from out of the deck works around the bloating, even though you're probably not using it that often. Not much else to say.

Finn Edwards
I... don't get it. Frankly, I've never played him – every time I considered him, I instantly thought of several other investigators I'd rather play. It's not just that I think his abilities are weak (for a 4 player game), it's also that they're boring. What is Finn's purpose? I mean, after doing the delivery run, what are you planning on doing with him? I don't see him closing gates, fighting monsters or even gather clues (because let's face it: if you want a dedicated researcher, you're better off with a 4 obs character, who also brings good actives to the table).. maybe someone else can shed some light on him.

George Barnaby
For the last few games I've tried George and I not only had a blast doing so, I was quite successful! High influence just screams “Tokio” and “I'm buying things until I'm overpowered” and his focus interaction ensures that he won't fail many encounters. Sure, his active is situational, but if he's going last each other investigator can gamble for some free debts, which also makes George a “sugar daddy lite”.

Patrice Hathaway

Not a huge fan. Her spell needs way too many successes for 3 lore (and you can't easily control which gate it clears) and her active seems kind of wasteful, both in terms of resources and time. Maybe I'm underestimating her strength, but it seems like too much work for too little gain with her..

Tommy Muldoon
Great stats, a nice weapon and a way to clear the way for your puny gate closers. Why doesn't he make our group? Maybe it's just the inhibition to “waste” half our investigators to maybe close one gate. Maybe it's that there are, again, people who do his job better. Maybe we didn't give him the chance he deserves, but unless I get a clue on how to properly use him, I guess I'll never find out.

Ursula Downs
Versatility, mobility and free foci to boot – Ursula is hands down a favourite of our group. There is not much to complain about, in fact I can hardly find one thing I don't like. If there is ever time for several expeditions, it's because Ursula is on it.

Wilson Richards
His passive works well with his weapon, I give him that. The free asset cycling is probably good, but we've never had the need to use it much. Wilson is probably underrated, but a character with only 4 sanity simply doesn't live long enough in our games, especially since they're more often than not fighters. This just leaves him in an awkward spot and most likely it leaves him staying in the box.

Strange Remnants

Marie Lambeau
I love the idea of her: staying sane while casting ritual after ritual, buying stuff to buff your lore. The theory just never plays out the way I'd like. Her willpower is awkwardly low, so fighting and closing gates is kind of meh. Other than most of the other influence-characters her abilities push her towards a clear direction. Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, but except the one lucky case of getting an arcane tome early I've never really gotten more than two spells.

“Skids” O'Toole
The go-to emergency guy when some real bad luck has befallen our group. I like his stats (nice sanity for a fighter), I love his passive and when you get your hands on some disposable items the trading could gain massive value. Not much else to say other than I'll happily have him in my group.

Tony Morgan
Eeeeh... I don't really get, what you're trying to do here. Sure, chaining his passive with the handcuffs lets you discard any number of smaller monsters, but how often does this issue come up? Do you expect him to close a monster-ridden gate with his 2 in lore/willpower? Somehow a slot used on him feels like a wasted slot since he needs a good weapon to take care of bigger monsters and by then other fighters are probably more useful.

Zoey Samaras
Okay, confession time. My group thinks tasks are a joke. Sure, every once in a while we flip one and are awestruck how good the reward can be, but with so many different tasks being printed it's more likely to gain something you just can't use. This means that I'm not a fan of her active ability. Luckily, what's left of Zoey is great. She's a good fighter who benefits of her two bonus dice most of the time and actually got the stats to close some gates. I get that her tasks are more of a filler, but in our 4 player games we've never really had the chance to focus on that. Maybe we'll try that some lucky game.

Under the Pyramids

Hank Samson
Hank is one of the few fighters (maybe the only one) who doesn't run into constant danger of going insane with his 4 sanity. He can clear troublesome spaces efficiently and safely (sometimes even during the action phase) and with his observation of 3, he doesn't need to shy away from research encounters. Of course, his uses are pretty much one dimensional, but in that dimension he pretty much sits at the top.

Harvey Walters
Well rounded stats, a great starting item and abilities that are situational but very powerful: Harvey is a great support/all rounder. Need clues for a rumour? Ancient tome. Don't want to rely on Arkham/Buenos Aires encounters, yet still gain some spells? Ancient tome. And while he's not reading his book of wonders he can fix up your other characters' weaknesses, look for clues himself and be all around decent (in a good way!).

Joe Diamond
My perception of Joe suffers from me not quite getting all the 4 observation characters. Please change my view (and I'm sorry, I'm really repeating myself here), but it seems like all they're good at is running around, chasing clues. In a 4 player game, those clues are scarce and spread out widely. Does his active provide the group with enough versatility to justify his presence? Well, maybe if you want to cheese out allies with Leo or services with Roland. But most of his uses seem rather “cute” than “useful”. His passive seems fun, but with most of his stats being capped at 4 (which of course is great), other investigators seems to deliver more bang for the buck of 3 improvements.

Mandy Thompson
Mandy is kind of like Joe, only shoehorned even more into the research niche. Her passive gives her even more clues, but apart from some really unlucky rumours, we hardly need that many clues. Considering that most mysteries needing clues also need her to do something else (closing gates, killing monsters, cast spells) you'd be hard pressed to find some use for her.

Minh Thi Phan
Despite +1 to all stats being quickly redundant with some lucky asset gains, I really like Minh. Her ability to gain tickets instantly make her so much more useful than Finn, her starting item is more than decent and she even starts in Tokyo (so even if there's nothing else to do, she can be useful from turn one onward). Give her an ally and/or a weapon and she can somewhat help with everything that needs to be done – a truly great secretary.

Monterey Jack
Remember when I said you'll almost never have the time to spare chasing expeditions? Well, Jack has the perk to kind of let the expeditions come to him, but even then he's camping them in the hopes of gaining enough relics and artefacts to always be useful in some way. In theory it sounds decent, but actually you'll be wasting time more often than not.

Rex Murphy
So my group has some kind of love-hate relationship with Rex. I like to play him now and then, and around half the time I play him he totally pops off, solving 2 mysteries almost alone. You just get every asset in the reserve until your dice and rerolls are so ridiculous numerous that your curse won't even matter. Of course, the other half of your games you'll be sitting around with nothing good to take, failing every encounter and fuelling your friends' intense dislike of this investigator. That said, whenever I feel lucky (heh), I like to play Rex.

Sister Mary
On the one hand, being blessed is awesome. Also, Mary's ability to make those blessings stick lets you enjoy the awesome feeling of failing-the-test-no-wait-there's-a-4-and-I'm-blessed for more than one turn. On the other hand, once she looses the blessing you feel much weaker than any other investigator. I know the feeling's subjective, but there's not much else to do but crawl back to Rome and pray. Your best bet is to buy some nice assets while you're blessed (which also lessens the risks associated with debts) and hope that even once the blessing's gone you're still useful. That said, I do like her very much!

Signs of Carcosa

Dexter Drake
Boy, do I like spells! Yet somehow, whenever I play Dexter I end up not gaining spells for most of the game. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's intentional, but I really don't want to spend two turns getting to Arkham or Buenos Aires. Once you've arrived, you haven't worked on the active mystery, probably gained a rumour to take care of and spawned some gates, only to have a chance to gain poison mist and some other stinker-spell. I guess, he at least pushes monsters around for the fighters and has a decent shot at closing gates, but the fantasy just falls flat.

Jenny Barnes
Jenny's stats make her a great fighter/buyer and her abilities even benefit the team on an almost Charlie-like level. If she had better observation (which is something that can be fixed by visiting SF on turn one or buying some assets) you'll never be out of something meaningful to do.

Michael McGlen
While statwise he's pretty similar to Mark, Michael seems to be so much better. Yes, he also struggles with his 4 sanity, but that somehow hasn't been an issue in all the games we've used him in. The ability to just grab an expensive service or item and the “get out of a dark pact”-card he can use once a round make him feel that much safer. The reliable 8 dice for combat encounters (compared to Mark's 6) also feel like a huge deal. When in need of some manpower, we'll gladly pick Michael.

Wendy Adams
Now we're talking useful high-observation investigators! Wendy just does it all – consistently ignoring threats, nailing research encounters, closing gates and then some! Her low influence doesn't hurt her at all, since there's basically no need to buy something and it is quite rarely tested during other world encounters. Her ability is a nice bonus, but barring some reserve manipulation you're relying on blind luck to grab something useful. Her resilience against conditions and impairment is just the icing on the cake!

The Dreamlands

Amanda Sharpe
I'll lead with a question: can you chose to gain a second talent right from the beginning (it reads: “ince per round, when you gain this card or another Talent condition, you may gain 1 additional Talent condition. If you do, flip this card), i.e. do you gain this condition as part of your starting assets?
Anyway, once the talent-train gets rolling, it seems to have no breaks. Once you know what's on the back of Quick Study, you can reliably gain 2 talents per round (and even if you have to discard one, there's always a sub-optimal to ditch). Then, once you've got everything you need, you can start discarding them to improve your stats. Writing this out, it seems like a whole lot of trouble for a whole lot of “meh”, but it feels so great! Plus, it fixes my problem with observation-focused investigators, namely the “what now?” when there are not that many clues to gain. Amanda seems flexible enough to fill some other role. However, before you get your first improvement/talent, you feel like a liability somehow..

Carolyn Fern

Carolyn somehow manages to feel great despite her weird stats. High willpower without lore makes other world encounters awkward, and even though the difference isn't that big, 3 influence feels like a whole different story asset-gaining wise. But since sanity is worth so much more than stamina (at least, that's our group's experience), her abilities feel impactful throughout the gain. Her starting items also provide your team with small, reliable and great, unreliable boons respectively, so it almost never feels like a mistake playing her.

Darrell Simmons
Another question: Darrell's passive excludes other world encounters from gaining the bonus die; since gates on wilderness- or ocean-spaces weren't a thing during the base game, is it assumed that Leo's and Silas' passives should exclude those encounters too, or do you play as written and gain the bonus die?
With that out of the way, I'm not a fan or Darrell. His reserve manipulation seems weak with the amount of different items in the deck and while he can sit in Tokyo or London to help the team with his buffed dice-pool, I almost always feel like other investigators could be doing more useful things. Change my view!

Gloria Goldberg
Oh boy, here we go. This is the investigator that got me the idea for this discussion. She seems awesome on paper, yet fell so hard on her face whenever I tried her, it's infuriating. How do you get past monsters? How is gaining a book reliably useful? What do you even do with Gloria? How does the Find Gate spell even help you, when all you can do is wait for someone else to take care of the monster? Is using two investigators an efficient use of your actions? Maybe we've always been playing it wrong, maybe you're supposed to dedicate a babysitter for your gate-closer, but with 4 investigators it just seems clunky and cumbersome.

Kate Winthrop

Apart from some Find Gate shenanigans, you'll be relying on blind luck to make use of Kate's ability. Hoping for the spell to pop up from some encounters is even more luck reliant, and when you're playing Gloria just for this interaction you not only pick two characters for something that feels gimmicky, you also hope that Kate's always in travelling range of those gates. Sure, Kate at least gets rid of most threats on gates, so you could send her to close some herself, but her willpower of 2 makes this harder than it should be.

Luke Robinson
That's what I'm talking about! I've never really liked Akachi, but since Luke's around there seems to be even less reason in taking her. Built-in, unconditional monster ignoring, great mobility and stats just made for closing gates. At first, I was concerned that you'll just closing gates after the damage/doom is done, but it never felt/played out that way. He manages your gates so reliably, it sometimes feels like gimping your group when not picking him.

Vincent Lee
During my Gloria-rage game, once she was dead, I picked Vincent. That didn't help my anger. I just don't know what to do with him. Yes, he's got a mini-blessing. Yes, his stats seem to be fine. No, he didn't feel useful at all. With a strength of 2, you don't want to follow your fighters around to play medic and with a lore of 1 I really don't want him near any gate. So he basically feels like playing a character without any abilities and mediocre, unfocused stats. Pass.

William Yorick
I know he is a synergistic, well rounded character. I like that his potion helps him through his first fight to get a nice weapon. Yet he never did much in our games. Maybe I need to try him more often, but at the moment all I can say is “nice on paper, meh in my games”.

Cities in Ruin

“Ashcan” Pete
Silas' brother in spirit comes with quite similar stats (although I feel like the low influence can be easier worked around than low lore) and similar mobility (I'd say that rail tracks are about equally as useful as ship routes). He does have a better starting asset and the passive can be used nicely after discarding something you'd want of the reserve. Overall he is a nice all-rounder and a welcome sight in my group.

Bob Jenkins
Somehow I feel that Jenny fills the high-influence, high-strength spot better than Bob. One could argue that his price-reduction beats Jenny's free debt, but at 4 dice it really doesn't make much of a difference, and Jenny doesn't have to use an action to make others use her buying power. Since he's pretty new for us, we haven't had much opportunity to get used to him, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be a reason to do so.

Rita Young
Rita is in an awkward spot, in my opinion. Digging through the talents you find way too many observation-focused or “okay, but nothing to write home about” talents. Her low influence makes buying weapons hardly possible, which leaves her at the mercy of a support character or the +3 strength talent. Her resilience against most conditions is a nice plus, but as with Bob I haven't found the right way to really make her work.

Roland Banks
Another entry in the “I don't get the high-observation investigators”-file. Getting free services or spawning clues is nice, but other than that you're pretty much on your own. Yes, you start with a weapon (but your strength is only at 2) and the agency files (but your influence is also only at 2), but I just don't think this quite cuts it. Maybe we've been incredibly lucky in all our games to never have serious need for clues, but we've come to find that 3 observation is plenty and usually comes with better investigators.

And that's all. I really hope to start some discussion about my favourite game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skids is my favourite! The re roll on 1's is such a great passive! Can't wait to see his story cards in the new expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care for Lily for other reasons, but she can excel if you pair her with Harvey or Norman. Norman is a great investigator due to his ability to use sanity in place of clues.

Not a fan of Trish since I saw the stats for overall general encounter successes before many of the expansions came out. In general, she was the worst overall character for doing anything useful. It seems like they math supports that she must USE her clues for re-rolls to actually make her decent (which is not what I like to use clues for) This may not be true anymore, but I still don't care for her.

Tasks can be VERY good especially if they have triggers that you don't have to go out of your way to trigger (resting for example). Zoey is phenomenal. Her tasks are worth it if you can pull them off the majority of the time so long as you don't waste too many actions getting there. She also has great stats for closing gates once she's cleared them.

I quite like Darrell. Remember that AO's that require researching to beat their mysteries also spawn clues in cities. I find him to be great an handling non-epic monster related mysteries in general. And often, city encounter grant you some very nice perks and Darrel is liklier than any other investigator to get those bonuses from named cities because his rolls will fail less. He also has an influence of 3, which means that sitting on cities is something you will want to do with him so that he can use an action to purchase things.

Patrice is hit or miss, and I don't find that I often use her ability. That being said, it can be handy to have someone start in Sydney. It can ALSO be super handy to have a banishment. Yes, her lore is 3, but banishment gives you a +2 to the check. Get her an asset and she is suddenly rolling 6-7 dice without any improvements. You will almost always be able to get rid of something which will help your gate closers out a lot so long as you aren't running people that have mists or evasion abilities.

Gloria is one of my faves. Her stat line rocks except for her low health, and she can nab tomes easily enough with her ability including tomes from the discard (tomes, for example, that are discarded to retreat doom or gain clues or spells etc). Her low stat (influence) is in the ONE stat she doesn't honestly need because she can nab her favorite items from the deck anyway with her action. Keep her out of city encounters and she's pretty great. Let her research and go after non-city clues and close gates. If you get lucky, she can even dig through tomes for spells and end up with Flesh Ward or similar spells that will shore up her low health. The mythos codex she starts with is also handy, and knowing where the gate is going to spawn is always useful even if you don't have a dedicated gate closer. And if you do, all the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets not forget the original strategy guide on investigators. It doesn't have most of the expansion investigators, but it does give a very in depth strategy discussion on the various roles that investigators have in this game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1233643/your-trusted-circle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on almost all of your comments.

However dedicated gate closers aren't too bad.
On four investigators, it's not uncommon to double-team gates (with a fighter investigator followed by a gate-closer).

Even better if both investigators are decent at gate closing so you have double the chance of closing the gate.

Also there are plenty of spells that turn a high-lore character to a decent fighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. K.
msg tools
soakman wrote:
I don't care for Lily for other reasons, but she can excel if you pair her with Harvey or Norman. Norman is a great investigator due to his ability to use sanity in place of clues.

Not a fan of Trish since I saw the stats for overall general encounter successes before many of the expansions came out. In general, she was the worst overall character for doing anything useful. It seems like they math supports that she must USE her clues for re-rolls to actually make her decent (which is not what I like to use clues for) This may not be true anymore, but I still don't care for her.

Tasks can be VERY good especially if they have triggers that you don't have to go out of your way to trigger (resting for example). Zoey is phenomenal. Her tasks are worth it if you can pull them off the majority of the time so long as you don't waste too many actions getting there. She also has great stats for closing gates once she's cleared them.

I quite like Darrell. Remember that AO's that require researching to beat their mysteries also spawn clues in cities. I find him to be great an handling non-epic monster related mysteries in general. And often, city encounter grant you some very nice perks and Darrel is liklier than any other investigator to get those bonuses from named cities because his rolls will fail less. He also has an influence of 3, which means that sitting on cities is something you will want to do with him so that he can use an action to purchase things.

Patrice is hit or miss, and I don't find that I often use her ability. That being said, it can be handy to have someone start in Sydney. It can ALSO be super handy to have a banishment. Yes, her lore is 3, but banishment gives you a +2 to the check. Get her an asset and she is suddenly rolling 6-7 dice without any improvements. You will almost always be able to get rid of something which will help your gate closers out a lot so long as you aren't running people that have mists or evasion abilities.

Gloria is one of my faves. Her stat line rocks except for her low health, and she can nab tomes easily enough with her ability including tomes from the discard (tomes, for example, that are discarded to retreat doom or gain clues or spells etc). Her low stat (influence) is in the ONE stat she doesn't honestly need because she can nab her favorite items from the deck anyway with her action. Keep her out of city encounters and she's pretty great. Let her research and go after non-city clues and close gates. If you get lucky, she can even dig through tomes for spells and end up with Flesh Ward or similar spells that will shore up her low health. The mythos codex she starts with is also handy, and knowing where the gate is going to spawn is always useful even if you don't have a dedicated gate closer. And if you do, all the better.

It seems like I'm trying out Darrell and Zoey more intensely next game.

Did you find it hard to gain tomes with Gloria, since the deck is so huge nowadays? And I can't remember a single normal asset that gets discarded to give you spells - am I wrong that unique assets don't use a discard, but are rather put onto the top of the unique asset deck? If she can get those, then it's literally a game changer..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan McKay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Still fairly new to this and have only played with many investigators once, but playing with Ashcan Pete last time... it almost felt a bit wrong to be able to keep using the Holy Water, then fishing it out of the trash again every time I needed to! Seems almost unfair (unless I misread the rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Williams
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I’m curious if anyone knows how the strategic pros and cons of the characters translate to MoM. I sometimes play these 2 games back to back, and have considered sharing characters between the two games.

Example: after recently playing a game of EH that included Charlie and Diana, I happened across an expansion description for MoM that includes these two. If I recall correctly, the character capabilities were identical. I’m mostly into the MoM expansions but why would I get that one if I already have the characters in EH? For that matter, now that I have MoM expansions, why not use all those characters as options in EH?

Are there any known reasons why the character cards in one game shouldn’t be used in the other? Starting materials might not be available in the other game, but is that a showstopper rather than an inconvenience?

I love the analysis here, and wonder if it translates to the other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COBruins wrote:
I’m curious if anyone knows how the strategic pros and cons of the characters translate to MoM. I sometimes play these 2 games back to back, and have considered sharing characters between the two games.

Example: after recently playing a game of EH that included Charlie and Diana, I happened across an expansion description for MoM that includes these two. If I recall correctly, the character capabilities were identical. I’m mostly into the MoM expansions but why would I get that one if I already have the characters in EH? For that matter, now that I have MoM expansions, why not use all those characters as options in EH?

Are there any known reasons why the character cards in one game shouldn’t be used in the other? Starting materials might not be available in the other game, but is that a showstopper rather than an inconvenience?

I love the analysis here, and wonder if it translates to the other game.

The two games are actually quite different, and their mechanics and investigator abilities are also very different. I'd avoid trying to do that if I were you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. K.
msg tools
monstermunch wrote:
Still fairly new to this and have only played with many investigators once, but playing with Ashcan Pete last time... it almost felt a bit wrong to be able to keep using the Holy Water, then fishing it out of the trash again every time I needed to! Seems almost unfair (unless I misread the rules)

No, you're playing it correctly and yes, it's awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam S
msg tools
I won a game in 6 turns with ashcan pete fetching holy water out of the trash. He's too powerful with Sister Mary haha. Everyone gets blessed and then you can keep blessing people that are already blessed for that bonus. He also moves around on rails freely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Williams
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
The two games are actually quite different, and their mechanics and investigator abilities are also very different. I'd avoid trying to do that if I were you.

Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam S
msg tools
I don't find Finn Edwards useless. I like to pair him with Harvey Walters. Finn Edwards can move other players. Harvey Walters can focus on improving other player's skills and generating clues with the ancient tome he starts with. Finn can move Harvey who's got little time for other actions. Not to mention Finn will get beefed up in skills chilling around Harvey. Makes them competant for gates and research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. K.
msg tools
xaxppzx1 wrote:
I don't find Finn Edwards useless. I like to pair him with Harvey Walters. Finn Edwards can move other players. Harvey Walters can focus on improving other player's skills and generating clues with the ancient tome he starts with. Finn can move Harvey who's got little time for other actions. Not to mention Finn will get beefed up in skills chilling around Harvey. Makes them competant for gates and research.

So those two just stick around together the whole game? Is the reward worth the trouble?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam S
msg tools
latenite wrote:
xaxppzx1 wrote:

So those two just stick around together the whole game? Is the reward worth the trouble?

For me it usually is but events like lost in space and time can be annoying. But it's great because you can quicly improve those strong investigators that have 1 skill that is level 1 like Luke or Diana.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
latenite wrote:
soakman wrote:

It seems like I'm trying out Darrell and Zoey more intensely next game.

Did you find it hard to gain tomes with Gloria, since the deck is so huge nowadays? And I can't remember a single normal asset that gets discarded to give you spells - am I wrong that unique assets don't use a discard, but are rather put onto the top of the unique asset deck? If she can get those, then it's literally a game changer..

You have a point about Gloria's ability in that there isn't always a tome available. I'm fairly sure that she cannot pull discarded unique assets for multiple reasons.

That being said, tomes are generally very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dean
msg tools
xaxppzx1 wrote:
latenite wrote:
xaxppzx1 wrote:

For me it usually is but events like lost in space and time can be annoying. But it's great because you can quicly improve those strong investigators that have 1 skill that is level 1 like Luke or Diana.

I really will have to give that combination a try. Occasionally my group enjoys a power-game. Which involves the (un?)holy triumvirate of Ashcan Pete, Sister Mary, and Bob Jenkins for some holy-water trading. The third person is sort of a wild-card since we haven't really found anyone we really like as a fourth. Maybe Rex or Father Mateo?

Ashcan Pete and Zoey are my two favorite "go-to" characters for their versatility and they always seem to carry the game in the games I've played.

Of the new investigators, I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed. Agatha seems solid, and she's already tagged as our spell caster for our first Nyarlathotep game this Friday. Sefinia looks like she could be entertaining, but nothing very stand out. Beyond that, the rest look mediocre or situational.

* Daniela - I guess the extra resources may be useful, but in a world of four 3 and one 1 stat investigators, I find Pete more useful.

* Preston - I guess he could stock up on goods, but unless there is a way to get them to other people, Charlie, Bob, or Jenny is just such an obviously better choice, why bother?

* Father Mateo - I want to like him, but he feels like one of those characters you would select if you already have a solid team and you can let one person do their own thing. He's a support character that smaller teams can't afford, generally.

* Calvin - He seems like someone you would select to be a health\sanity battery replacement character when someone dies\devoured and you want to quickly recover a better character. Otherwise, if someone is low enough to need that much healing, in my experience, Calvin probably would be too. Might be some edge cases with Hastur where he shines.

* Carson - Again, suffers from the support bug of, he's only useful in a larger team game, and at that point, are there better characters to select?

The character I struggle to like, I want to like, is Kate Winthrop. I've played as her twice, and I've always been underwhelmed, but every time I look at her, I think to myself, "she should be good."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great writeup! I'll give you my thoughts as I go down. Note, we tend to play random, so sometimes mediocre all-arounders are what you need.

Finn Edwards - He's best in larger games, where he can double move people with his action. Basically you want to swing by wherever people are, shuttle them along while making your run, then see what you get to determine his role in life. I don't think he's good, but he's proven surprisingly okay for having well-rounded stats.

Marie Lambeau - Wow, this is the first one where I'd say you're totally off. Voice of Ra for 1 health is insane, and she can double influence roll, double resource gain, all sorts of things. She is fully capable of using 2 4-influence actions to just power up each turn, and even ignore spellcasting if she needs. Influence, ditch debt, influence is a great little combo for her. She can hand off those items as needed, or just get a bunch of minor buffs and specialize in whatever. She's really only a spellcaster as she needs to be - Voice of Ra is everything she wants. Although casting Plumb the Void more than once a turn is stupid, we'd note.

Zoey Samaras - Try playing the Zoey minigame sometime. It's simple, just get tasks and complete them, whatever they are. There's a very clear pattern to when the tasks get good, and Zoey will easily do them (check a few backs, it's usually either half the number of investigators, number of investigators, or 3). Then you advance the active mystery, retreat the doom, heal everyone, all sorts of good stuff. She can easily spend most of the game doing the Zoey minigame, and the rewards tend to be well worth it. I think one game she retreated doom by 2, advanced the active mystery once, cured all conditions (including a dark pact), and handed off a "Greater Good" to an investigator in a spiral that solved the active mystery. And some other random benefits that were pretty good.

Gloria Goldberg - Have you considered that when you "reveal assets until you reveal X" that all the stuff revealed goes in the discard? Usually every game there's at least one of those, and will give her a few tomes. She's an excellent gate closer and research person while you're waiting for the necessary tomes to superpower her, and Find Gate can make it very easy to intercept stupid gates.

Vincent Lee - Strength 2 with Will 4 isn't the biggest drawback if you find a nice weapon. And my gosh he's super useful to have in any elite monster fight. I only like him at around 6 players, but what a ridiculous guy to bring along. If only his lore was slightly less crap he'd be a powerhouse.

William Yorick - The reserve cycling is the real kicker here. He can do things early game until he cycles into a top-notch weapon, then he can kill something and get going. He HAS to snag something with at least +3 Strength to be useful, but if he does, well, the Yorick train comes without brakes. Oh, Lore 3/Will 3 means he can go kill everything on a gate then close it. He tends to die at some point, but he usually dies with a king's ransom in items on his corpse. Just try to die in San Francisco and not Antarctica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Thanks for your contribution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.