1 , 2  Next »   | 

Eldritch Horror: Masks of Nyarlathotep» Forums » News

Subject: Rules are Up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaroslav Vrba
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/43/47...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bj Price
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Organization makes me happy!
badge
"Cult" is what a big congregation calls a little congregation.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the bracketed conditions on the Round Overview Cards. This was one area that was overlooked in previous expansions. I would hand these cards out to friends when playing but would have to constantly remind them that you only get travel tickets on city spaces. Or, you can only rest if no monsters are present. These cards are my silver lining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack S
msg tools
^ I agree with the Round Overview Cards. Something very simple but helpful.

It adds some good characters, personal rewards/consequences, focus tokens, resource tokens, adventure cards, prelude cards, Mystic Ruins, new gates, etc...

Based on the content, I think of this as a big-small box expansion. While there's no board, there is a lot of different content. Right off the bat, I could see this as being a useful expansion for newcomers to get alongside Forsaken Lore. It would add most of the mechanics from other expansions all in one go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those updated reference cards look great. I would have liked to see one more Ancient One added to make up for 1 less investigator than normal, and no sideboard. I am excited to try the rest of the new stuff, personal stories, structured campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It says "The Mystic Ruins Encounter cards are used only if Antediluvium is the Ancient One or when using The Stars Align Prelude card." Surely these could be used with Syzygy as well couldn't they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Sindriss wrote:
It says "The Mystic Ruins Encounter cards are used only if Antediluvium is the Ancient One or when using The Stars Align Prelude card." Surely these could be used with Syzygy as well couldn't they?

The rules make it seem like there are two separate Mystic Ruins decks that should not be combined: one for Antediluvium and its prelude and another one for Syzygy and its prelude. Confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is disappointing and a puzzling design decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You combine the Mystic Ruins decks if you have both expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Fakename
msg tools
Thank you for the link!

Could anybody explain why the second part of the reward card of Daniela Reyes' personal story is of any use (she is the example in the rules section)? Since you could spend that resource for another success instead (see gathering resources rule), why would you use it just to add 1 to the result?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dostojewski wrote:
Thank you for the link!

Could anybody explain why the second part of the reward card of Daniela Reyes' personal story is of any use (she is the example in the rules section)? Since you could spend that resource for another success instead (see gathering resources rule), why would you use it just to add 1 to the result?

The additional success for 1 resource is only allowed for the Acquire Assets action ("As part of an Acquire Assets action,"). Daniela's reward ability allows her to spend 1 resource to add 1 to any result when performing any test. So it is a bit of a different utility altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam S
msg tools
mb
Anyone else wonder where the new gates are to? I'm guessing new mystic ruins locations. Or they can just be gates from other expansions needed for mysteries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xaxppzx1 wrote:
Anyone else wonder where the new gates are to? I'm guessing new mystic ruins locations. Or they can just be gates from other expansions needed for mysteries.

R'leh (space 3), Atlantis (space 8), Hyperborea (space 13)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Wyndam22 wrote:

That's what I would assume by the name of the deck, but if you read the rules:

"When playing with the Masks of Nyarlathotep expansion, add
all expansion components to their respective decks or pools
of Eldritch Horror components except for the components
described below...

The Mystic Ruins Encounter cards included in this
expansion are used by the Antediluvium Ancient One as
well as The Stars Align Prelude card. Otherwise, they are
returned to the game box."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wyndam22 wrote:

Are you sure about this? Have you seen anything official about it as the rules really aren't clear. I'm genuinely confused!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All "like" decks in the past have been combined together. I don't see any reason why it would be different here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
You do not combine the decks, as far as I can tell.

However, if you have mixed both expansions, there is no reason you cannot choose to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combining them would make it harder I would imagine since the ruins will be spread out more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no way I'm going to keep my mystic ruins decks separated in two . That's silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kumasawa wrote:
Wyndam22 wrote:

"(...) The Mystic Ruins Encounter cards included in this
From the very beginning FFG has used agnostic wording for the expansion rulebooks. That is, each rulebook was written as though no other expansions exist. The above text is the result of this approach.
The weird thing is that the MoN rulebook is the first one to admit that some of it's components were previously printed in other expansions.
However, apparently they had problems with wording it for Mystic Ruins. To remain cosistent they would have to enumerate all four situations where Mystic ruins are used.
I'll give it a try.
Version 1:
The Mystic Ruins Encounter cards are used only if Antediluvium or Syzygy (Strange Remnants expansion) is the Ancient One or when using the In Cosmic Alignment Prelude card or The Stars Align (Strange Remnants expansion) Prelude card.
Version 2:
The Mystic Ruins Encounter cards are used only if Antediluvium or Syzygy is the Ancient One or when using the In Cosmic Alignment Prelude card or The Stars Align Prelude card. Syzygy and The Stars Align were introduced in the Strange Remnants expansion.
Maybe they wanted to avoid those silly long sentences.
Maybe they just forgot that it would be nice to update those phrases.

Either way, if anyone has doubts that these cards are ought to be mixed together feel free to submit a rules query.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
haroth9842 wrote:

Either way, if anyone has doubts that these cards are ought to be mixed together feel free to submit a rules query.

Query sent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
kumasawa wrote:
Wyndam22 wrote:

"(...) The Mystic Ruins Encounter cards included in this
From the very beginning FFG has used agnostic wording for the expansion rulebooks. That is, each rulebook was written as though no other expansions exist. The above text is the result of this approach.
The weird thing is that the MoN rulebook is the first one to admit that some of it's components were previously printed in other expansions.
However, apparently they had problems with wording it for Mystic Ruins. To remain cosistent they would have to enumerate all four situations where Mystic ruins are used.
I'll give it a try.
Maybe they wanted to avoid those silly long sentences.
Maybe they just forgot that it would be nice to update those phrases.

There are two separate things here: 1) cards of the same type released in different expansions, and 2) re-printed cards. The first is just the nature of expansions, adding more cards to existing decks. But re-printed cards is a new thing for this expansion, I'm fairly sure those 4 specific preludes are the only cards from one release which have been re-printed in another. In that context, it's not weird that the rulebook makes that explicit, in order to avoid those preludes being in the deck twice.

As you suggest, each rulebook has been written to be used independently. For the record, barring ancient one/prelude names, the wording in the 'Using this Expansion' sections in the MoN and SR rulebooks is identical:

'When playing with the Masks of Nyarlathotep expansion, add all expansion components to their respective decks or pools of Eldritch Horror components except for the components described below:

The Mystic Ruins Encounter cards included in this expansion are used by the Antediluvium Ancient One as well as The Stars Align Prelude card. Otherwise, they are returned to the game box. See page 4 for rules regarding Mystic Ruins Encounters.'

The wording in each expansion's Mystic Ruins Encounters section is also identical, barring Ancient One/Prelude details, and initial flavour text:

'The Mystic Ruins Encounter cards in this expansion allow investigators to explore the ruins of prehuman civilizations left behind from the distant past.
The Mystic Ruins Encounter cards are used only if Antediluvium is the Ancient One or when using The Stars Align Prelude card.
To set up the Mystic Ruins Encounter deck, shuffle all Mystic Ruins Encounter cards into a single deck. Then another player cuts the deck.'

I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure that the intention here is that 'To set up the Mystic Ruins Encounter deck, shuffle all Mystic Ruins Encounter cards into a single deck' supercedes previous wording about returning cards to the game box, and only using cards when the specific Ancient One/Prelude is in play. This means that all Mystic Ruins cards regardless of source should be included.

This is the only case in the game where an encounter deck introduced in an expansion has had cards of the same deck added in a subsequent expansion, and though I think careful reading leads to the right conclusion, a section could have been added to make this clearer. More evidence that the cards should be combined is supplied by the fact that of the Mystic Ruins cards previewed, both have success effects - moving the Omen, and closing a gate - which are the main success effects from the SR Mystic Ruins cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose you end up playing a game against Syzygy and the Prelude is The Stars Align. You're not going to be expected to keep the two Mystic Ruins decks separate during this game, right? If you were, then they'd be different decks.

I argue that therefore if you have both expansions you're supposed to shuffle them all together. The rulebook is simply badly worded at the point it says to only use them in the two specific scenarios relevant to this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bj Price
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Organization makes me happy!
badge
"Cult" is what a big congregation calls a little congregation.
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
If you were, then they'd be different decks.

I agree with this. Why give the decks the same name, with the same graphics and the same token if they are not meant to be mixed. Doesn't really make sense. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough from FFG the correct actions to take regarding this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
Combining them would make it harder I would imagine since the ruins will be spread out more.

My first thought too, but I'm OK with this, Syzygy is one of the easiest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Official ruling! >>>>>>>
"To set up the Mystic Ruins Encounter deck, shuffle _all_ Mystic Ruins Encounter cards into a single deck.

Regardless of expansion, they're are the same card type and get shuffled into the same deck.

Thanks for playing!
~ Nikki Valens"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.