Subject: Best Dungeons & Dragons Boardgame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay group, never played a single one, but always been interested. Best Dungeons & Dragons Boardgame? I'm leaning toward Castle Ravenloft because of the theme. I love dungeon crawlers, I love playing the actual RPG, and I would probably play this solo or with the wife.

Poll
Best Dungeons & Dragons Boardgame?
Wrath of Ashardalon
Castle Ravenloft
Legend of Drizzt
Tomb of Annihilation
Temple of Elemental Evil
      55 answers
Poll created by Jreilly89

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomb of Annihilation has the most streamlined rules and a very well done campaign and leveling system.

It depends on what you want out of the game. If you want a good campaign, then only Elemental Evil and ToA will work. If you care more about a specific theme and are okay with playing individual scenarios outside of a large cohesive campaign structure then they all are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fan of the series myself but going for the theme on it is the way to go. If you like the theme of Ravenloft (I do too), I'd get that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something for the rag and bone man...
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend ToEE because of the changes in the game system.

The older games had both monster and event encounters on every turn and it was frustrating. The monster spawns are now more balanced and the traps can be disarmed.

Also, there is better character advancement and campaign mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not specifically D&D but check out Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
Australia
ARTARMON
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkaup366 wrote:
Not specifically D&D but check out Gloomhaven.

I was wondering how many posts into this thread before Gloomhaven was mentioned.

I'm such a Chaotic Evil Heretic, I still prefer D&D!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
Australia
ARTARMON
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TOA has the latest ruleset of the series so could be seen as the most refined and streamlined. I like TOEE for theme though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot Lords of Waterdeep, therefore your survey is invalid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack, you left out the "none of the above" option .

Not a fan of these games, although I own all of them (yeah, I know...I am powerless over board games, etc ). The random "take 2 damage" encounter cards and the whole take one damage on a MISS thing just exasperate the bejeesus out of me. If ToEE changes any of that, I don't recall (I *think* I played one scenario of it, but I'm not 100% certain).

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd just sell them and be done with it. There are other games out there that do the same thing that I'd rather play.

If you check the file section, someone did a full conversion of one of the games into pretty much full blown D&D, and it was a MUCH better experience the one time I tried it.

About the only positive things I can say about the D&D Adventure games is that they're light and fast playing, with very low rules overhead. If you're completely wedded to the D&D world, they're pretty much the only game in town, so hopefully you'll like the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
get off my avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cant see Lords of Waterdeep nor Tyrants of the Underdark on your D&D list.
or do you mean beest D&D Dungeon Crawler?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
Not a fan of these games, although I own all of them

Hey, I bought 'em for the miniatures, too! laugh

If you love D&D, the D&D game system is rubbish. However, if you want the D&D miniatures, these are based on the D&D miniatures line, albeit not pre-painted. There's a 4e version of the Castle Ravenloft game, which ports CR to 4e D&D rules. I think it plays solo / coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baboon baboonov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best game under the D$D licence is definitely Lords of Waterdeep.

Unless of course you want miniatures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite for playing one-shots: Castle Ravenloft
My favorite for playing campaign: Tomb of Annihilation

Castle Ravenloft has nice theme, good variety in scenarios and monster tokens! It is sadly quite lacking in treasure department and the relentless encounters can be disheartening.

Tomb of Annihilation, being the latest game in the series, is the most refined and has the best campaign. Playing the campaign makes it difficult to play scenarios outside the campaign, due to needing to make lots of changes to several decks and the need to upgrade your hero as if you had played multiple scenarios beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serhiy Saf
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldron wrote:
cant see Lords of Waterdeep nor Tyrants of the Underdark on your D&D list.
or do you mean beest D&D Dungeon Crawler?

And Dragonfire !!
I think the OPs listed games all are from D&D Adventure System exclusively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bridges
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also say Lords of Waterdeep (then again I am biased because it was my first proper board game purchase, and it got my wife into gaming).

But I am keeping an eye on this thread because I've been interested in trying out one of the other D&D titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
If you check the file section, someone did a full conversion of one of the games into pretty much full blown D&D, and it was a MUCH better experience the one time I tried it.
Any chance you could provide this link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.