Hide
6 Posts

Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black» Forums » Variants

Subject: Exploration Gambling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D G
msg tools
So I don't really understand the purpose of pushing your luck when Exploring. If you can only keep 1 of the cards you find, and the rest stay out for other players to take without any risk, then exploring beyond the first card is just taking unnecessary risk without the potential for further rewards; and on top of that, you actually remove the risk for you opponents that come to Explore after you.

I would strongly suggest playing with Exploration where you get to keep all of the cards you find while Exploring (unless you hit a hazard, obviously) but you only gain resources from the last card you stop on. Now Exploring really feels like a risk/reward scenario. The further you push your luck, the more badges (and potential points from dwarf planets) you'll be able to take back with you, but if you hit a hazard you'll not only lose it all, but everything you've already uncovered will be left out for the next player to scoop up. Only taking resources from the last card prevents massive resource swings and also makes player stop and think "I could really use those 2 culture, but I also need to catch up on my exploration badges, but if my next card is a Dwarf planet I won't be getting any resources."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
Nexus Ops fan
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like it! Well done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how tight your games run.
sometimes there is no culture on the map other than the unexplored space location, and you desperately need to be able to follow some act8to catch up.

Sometimes the game is about to end, and you want more badges of a certain shape to be competitive.

The need to push your luck is situational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Landree
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey I think the point is that some exploration cards are more powerful than others, also some cards are better for your set collection. I think this is the reasoning behind that. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D G
msg tools
ateadaze wrote:
Hey I think the point is that some exploration cards are more powerful than others, also some cards are better for your set collection. I think this is the reasoning behind that. robot

I would understand if that were the case, but none of the cards are particularly stronger than any other exploration card, and there's no real way to know what cards would be better for your collection because other player's exploration cards are hidden from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Leung
Singapore
flag msg tools
knifelheim wrote:
So I don't really understand the purpose of pushing your luck when Exploring. If you can only keep 1 of the cards you find, and the rest stay out for other players to take without any risk, then exploring beyond the first card is just taking unnecessary risk without the potential for further rewards; and on top of that, you actually remove the risk for you opponents that come to Explore after you.

I would strongly suggest playing with Exploration where you get to keep all of the cards you find while Exploring (unless you hit a hazard, obviously) but you only gain resources from the last card you stop on. Now Exploring really feels like a risk/reward scenario. The further you push your luck, the more badges (and potential points from dwarf planets) you'll be able to take back with you, but if you hit a hazard you'll not only lose it all, but everything you've already uncovered will be left out for the next player to scoop up. Only taking resources from the last card prevents massive resource swings and also makes player stop and think "I could really use those 2 culture, but I also need to catch up on my exploration badges, but if my next card is a Dwarf planet I won't be getting any resources."

Agree 100%. It’s a cool idea because currently there isn’t much of a point to push your luck except the badge collection majority scoring which is SO hard to track because each card offers MUTIPLE badges AND they are ALL face down anyways!

It’s klunky even if u house rule them to be faced up. (Which will give u more information to then decide which card to take.)

a way around this might be a physical token for each badge always passed to the player who CURRENTLY has the highest score for THAT badge.

Instead of having to split ties, the most current player who has that token break ties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.