Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
95 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: TGC Game Pieces Only Challenge - Unofficial list of entries and discussion of entries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a game that you are developing for The Game Crafter: Game Pieces Only Challenge?

Well, this is not the place to enter the challenge.

This is an unofficial list and simply provides a place to discuss entries.
If you would like to share your game, feel free to post a link to your game in this thread. You might wish to share where you are in the game's development, ask for help, or just have general discussion about individual games.

This is not the place to ask questions about the contest. It is specifically to post about the games and discuss the entries.

Follow this link to go the contest page on The GameCrafter.

If you have questions about the contest, follow this link to a thread on BGG.

E E E TIME TO VOTE! W W W

---

Entries from this thread

Antahpa - Lucas Gerlach
Skyscrappers - Sporktopia Games
Earthlings 101 - Lucas Gerlach
Short Changed - Clark D. Rodeffer
Crystal Roll - Brian Compter
Dyce: Blend the Finest Whisky of the Highlands - Nicholas Hjelmberg
Quantum Compromise - Esa Seuranen
Golden Feathers - Theodore Karvounis
Skyline - Jessica Choat
Hudson Traders - Dylan Black
Macaw - Aron E.
Get Beefy - Aron E.
Shinies - Mike Heim
Dice Stories - Esa Seuranen
Menomonee Valley - Dylan Coyle
Ludi: Gladiator Dice - Kintsugi Games
Cursed Gold - Patrick Rauland
Dungeon Drop - Scott Smith
Express Delivery - Andy Giles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Link to Antahpa's GameCrafter page

(edited April 2nd)
The GameCrafter components definitely help to evoke the theme, and I'm really happy with the way the box and rules have turned out.

My current design challenges are focused on refining set up and improving the player engagement as it nears the end game.

Here's my current blurb for the game...

Quote:
Build pagodas by stacking tokens to match your plans.
In preparation for the 500th anniversary of the kingdom, the Emperor has commissioned the construction of several colorful pagodas around the capital city of Antahpa.

Forever link your name with these architectural wonders by influencing their design.

--------------------

In Antahpa, the first player to meet all of their construction goals wins the game.

At the start of the game, set your six dice to display your individual goals. These dice show where you want to place different colors of floor tokens. For example, a red four means that you want to construct pagodas with red on the fourth level.

Each player then draws one floor token. The starting player draws two tokens.

On your turn, stack one of your two floor tokens in an effort to meet your goals and to keep your rivals from meeting their goals. Floor tokens may not be stacked on other tokens of the same color. After stacking one token, pass your remaining token to the player to your left, and draw a new floor token for yourself.

Use your tokens wisely and strive to be the first to leave your mark on the pagodas of Antahpa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sporktopia Games
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for setting this up Lucas.

Here's what I'm working on:

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/skyscrappers

It's pretty far along. I'm waiting on the prototype to really get into the playtesting some more at the moment.

Here's the shop page description:

In the big city, the sky is the limit and the world is your canvas. Few dare to push boundaries to the breaking point. You are one of those few, dear gamer. But dreams have to be forged in reality, and your reality is that you are broke. Your city won’t give you a permit to build if you don’t grease the wheels a little with the friendly local construction families…er, firms. To reach your dreams you’ll need to provide favors for the six controlling mafia families to gain construction materials and hope your hard work doesn’t come tumbling down. The sky is the limit, here you come!

Skyscrappers is a dice-rolling dexterity game where players roll dice and place them to try to get the best collection of building materials. For three rounds, players roll dice and then choose one value of die and place all of that number next to a pile of building materials. Players roll until they have no dice left.

The player with the most dice gets to collect a number of construction materials equal to the number of dice played on the pile. Everybody else placing a die there gets one item.

Players then have 60 seconds to build the tallest Skyscrapper out of their accumulated construction materials. Tallest Skyscrapper wins.

Good luck to those entering!

edited to add game ad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Link to Earthlings 101's GameCrafter page

Earthlings 101's first prototype has seen a lot of play time, mostly from my students, but also from adults. At this point, it simply needs wider, more directed playtesting and the final components (which are currently on order.) I recognize that there is a potential issue with some players getting so far behind that they can't catch up, but I'm not sure if that is a real problem considering the light-heartedness and length of the game. It doesn't seem to discourage people from repeated plays.

April 2 notes:
Playtesting continues. I recently made one big change to the rules. It used to be that all players need to earn the ability to enter the second phase, capturing men-in-black. Some people were getting caught in this slower phase of the game. Now, all players move on to the second phase once once player has completed the first phase. Players who complete the first phase, however, get an end-game point bonus. We'll see how this change continues to play out.

Here's the GameCrafter description:

Quote:
Use your flicking skills to capture earthlings!
Good evening class!

For your first semester, you will be collecting specimens of earth's indigenous species. As you do this, beware of the men-in-black. Though they are only primitive humans, they can be quite dangerous. Once one of you has collected one sample of each earthling, we will all proceed to semester two.

After collecting your specimens, you will have gained enough knowledge to be able to pursue the men-in-black. Semester two focuses on collecting this more difficult variety of earthling. Whoever collects the most men-in-black receives top scores in Earthlings 101!

-------------------

Earthlings 101 is a quick and fun dexterity game for all ages.

• First, you set up the game by dumping all the contents out of the box. Place the dumped earthlings onto their feet.
• On your turn, point to one earthling you will attempt to knock off its feet.
• Then, flick your flying saucer once to topple the earthling.
• If you succeed, place the earthling on your base.
• During semester one, collect one of each of five varieties of earthlings, and earn a star worth two men-in-black at the end of the game.
• Knocking over the men-in-black during semester one means you lose a captured earthling and have to return to your base.
• Once any one player has collected a star, the second semester begins.
• During the second semester, all players may knock over and collect men-in-black.
• The game ends when all the men-in-black have been captured or when one player has collected six men-in-black.
• The person who collects the most men-in-black wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan coyle
China
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Here are my three works in progress!

Goblin Market

Exile Green:

Menomonee Valley:

More info later. Busy with lunar new years this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Doom that Came to Sandford

Link to my Gamecrafter Page

Link to the current version of the rules

It's not yet playtested. Rules are far too verbose currently as well.

Update
Box art now done - I wanted to get that done early so I could include it in action shots and also so I'd have something nice when I order my own copy. I don't think I'll be getting more parts, but likely reduce parts after playtesting - so ordering my own copy is next.

Also hunted down some art for the rulebook - as the fluff is pretty much the best way to get some theme into a gamepiece only game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd men

I'm working on it, but I don't know if I will have time to finish it. A little minimalist abstract game about odd me. Beware of the even men!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Peter. The "fluff"as you put it, is one of the best ways to add theme. Are you using free, publicly available artwork?

I would also say that the mechanics and some of the available components can help a bit with giving a sense of theme.

I feel my first entry, Earthlings 101, does a decent job of imbuing theme with mechanics and available components, but my second entry, Antahpa, is pretty abstract and relies heavily on the box and rulebook to give the game theme. Actually though, the shape of the available stacking pieces helped me to choose a theme for the game, building pagodas. Otherwise, it would have been skyscrapers. I think I like the pagodas theme more, though.

How are others dealing with incorporating theme when printed materials are limited to rules and boxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaker73 wrote:

Link to Earthlings 101's GameCrafter page

Earthlings 101's first prototype has seen a lot of play time, mostly from my students, but also from adults. At this point, it simply needs wider, more directed playtesting and the final components (which are currently on order.) I recognize that there is a potential issue with some players getting so far behind that they can't catch up, but I'm not sure if that is a real problem considering the light-heartedness and length of the game. It doesn't seem to discourage people from repeated plays.

Here's the GameCrafter description:

Quote:
Use your flicking skills to capture earthlings!
Good evening class!

For the first part of today's lab, you will be collecting specimens of earth's indigenous species. As you do this, beware of the men-in-black. Though they are only primitive humans, they can be quite dangerous.

After collecting your specimens, you will have gained enough knowledge to be able to pursue the men-in-black. Whoever collects the most men-in-black receives top scores in Earthlings 101!

-------------------

Earthlings 101 is a quick and fun dexterity game for all ages.

• First, you set up the game by dumping all the contents out of the box.
• On your turn, point to one earthling you will attempt to knock off its feet.
• Then, flick your flying saucer once to topple the earthling.
• If you succeed, place the earthling on your base.
• Once you have collected one of each of five varieties of earthlings, attempt to knock over the men-in-black.
• Knocking over the men-in-black too early means you lose a captured earthling and have to return to your base.
• The person who collects the most men-in-black wins the game.

I was going to enter an altered version of my game Sheepdogs! which is very similar to Earthlings 101 but they are missing black sheep so I'd have to use all discs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While the Game Crafter has a large variety of components,they certainly don't have everything, and I agree that this can definitely be limiting, Gregg. I don't think using discs would be so bad. You could always add stickers later. Alternatively, maybe you could herd other creatures like insects, roosters, gelatinous cubes, or cows and bulls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaker73 wrote:
I agree, Peter. The "fluff"as you put it, is one of the best ways to add theme. Are you using free, publicly available artwork?

It's easy for me as I've chosen a fairly standard dark ages fantasy theme - which leads to many public domain resources. There's a lot of woodcuts and illuminated manuscripts that have been digitised and put in the public domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sporktopia Games
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How are others dealing with incorporating theme when printed materials are limited to rules and boxes?

I tried steering into it a bit with my Skyscrappers one by making the game about building with junk which is easy to get a hodgepodge for. The art plays a big role in the rules and box, but I think expecting a little imagination isn't too bad and as long as you're pointing people in the right direction the theme comes through the pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Baxter-Webb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Following here to see how things develop. The contest is a great idea! So far I've just been sketching ideas out a flicking bits of wood around at home, and ideas tend to gravitate toward:

Dexterity/building game with a Waterworld style post-apocalyptic setting. Draft items floating in the centre of the table to try to add to your settlement. For each item you draft, also return one to a bag to return in a later round.

Minimalist/abstract Worker Placement... place workers on components to receive those components from the supply (basic buildings). Place workers on advanced buildings (2 or more components) and pay a price (determined by any adjoining component stack) to claim the components from the supply...
sacrifice workers and components to construct buildings others can use (the cost of which goes to you). A drawing would probably be more useful than a written explanation in this case.

Some sort of auction game where players take turns to draw items from their own bag (draw 5, return 2?) to create a 3-item package to trade with another player... players make their offerings using a push-your-luck style draw from their own bag, and when a player draws 3 of the same item at the start of their round, they win the game.

I'm really struggling with which of these to work on, but I'm guessing the last one would be the most labour intensive on my end as it's sort of impossible to test-play it with myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sporktopia Games
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe,

They all could work. If you want an opinion that last one sounds kind of interesting. I'd be curious to see how that one would turn out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
DadsInSpace wrote:
I'm really struggling with which of these to work on...

Which do you think will be the most interesting? That is, do you think any of them might be particularly common types of submissions? Do any of them represent the spirit of the contest in fresh, compelling ways more than the others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Baxter-Webb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
A note on flicking:

If you use a wooden disc (sticks work too but discs feel better) and press down on the arm of a meeple, you get a really nice directional flick. I've tried this with 8mm mini meeples, not large ones, but it'd be great for a game about ninjas flying through the air (or shaolin monks if you want a really easy thematic tie-in to orange meeples).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Baxter-Webb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
sporkage wrote:
Joe,

They all could work. If you want an opinion that last one sounds kind of interesting. I'd be curious to see how that one would turn out.

Yeah. I'm thinking of using "barrels, bottles and boxes" (octbox/carton/cube) as 3 object types, with 3 colours of each. Players start off with 9 items in their bag (one of everything) and must barter away the things they don't want, while set collecting until they're in a position to draw 3 identical items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith

Groton
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hopefully, play testing will go well next week for my entry, Dungeon Drop.

Current tagline: "Finally, a dungeon crawl with a sense of perspective."

I don't have a page on GC up and running yet, but it's a kind of spatial dungeon crawl for 2-5 players (5 might be a stretch, but I'll find out soon). Here's a little art from the very much in progress rulebook--the falling theme has been fun to work with:

Good luck to you all on your own evolving designs--can't wait to see the final list on GC in April!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice retro look on Dungeon Drop, Scott!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith

Groton
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! Yeah I though retro and dungeon was something I hadn’t seen before. Of course, now it’s almost a shame it’s a parts only challenge! The contest has been great for me so far though—really pushing my thinking in some new ways. Thanks for making this thread—
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Giles
United States
California
flag msg tools
So this is my first contest and the first of my designs to make it beyond the head or sketch book to actually testing something out.

I only recently got into the hobby (Oct '17) and ever since my mind keeps thinking of ideas for board games, though I think I need to get many more plays under my belt of a wider variety of games before I really get testing out some of my ideas. Though I've been told that every board gamer has at least one idea they're "working" on. So maybe it's just a sign of me being an actual gamer. Anyhoo...

So I have two games I'm working on.

1. Express Delivery
A dice rolling, pick up and delivery game
(Game Testing Phase)

Each player plays the role of a courier who has to deliver packages (represented by dice) in a certain period of time. As new packages are rolled, the number of the face tells you how quickly it needs to be delivered. Different colored dice represent the distance the package needs to be delivered, and the further a package needs to be delivered, the more points it is worth, but the more time it takes.

2. TBD Name which is a pun on antiquing - maybe something along the line of Aunt Teek's Inheritance
A drafting, trick-taking, set collection game in the world of antiques.
(Drawing Board Phase)

Maybe I'm trying to fit too many mechanisms into this little game - but the idea came to me the other day. So I'm exploring it mentally and I'm coming close to being ready for a paper demo. But the idea goes along the lines of having different components represent different antiques and you're trying to collect sets of different ages to collect points.

More to come...but I love restrictions (like components only) - it really fuels the creative/ideation brain cells. Thanks Eric!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith

Groton
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
I’m really interested in your antiques concept—that’s an original one—go for it! My advice is to boil it down to its simplest possible version first, make it playable, then experiment with adding layers and other mechanics.

I’ve just started designing more seriously in the last couple years as well—completely agree about the value of a good contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Baxter-Webb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all.

I'm not sure how I'll get on with actually get this as far as publishing it; what with needing proper action photos, living in the UK and being broke, but here's my entry anyway!

How Bazaar! is a bidding game for 3-6. Players take it in turns to auction off boxes, barrels and bottles from their stock in hopes of becoming the Baron of one particular good. They must push their luck, and persuasion skills, to amass a majority of one good while getting rid of nearly everything else in stock.

Rules description in the Spoiler quotes to save space in the thread!

Spoiler (click to reveal)

_Rules:_

Each player begins the game with a bag loaded with 9 items (one of each of the available items). There are 3 different shapes of item (boxes, bottles and barrels) and 3 different colors of each shape.

Players take turns being the Seller. At the start of their turn, the seller removes 5 objects from their bag. They may choose 0, 1, or 2 objects to return to the bag. The remaining 3-5 items now form the Lot being auctioned.

Once the auction starts, every other player draws one object from their bag. This is their offer. The Seller may now either accept one of these items in exchange for their Lot, or ask “does anyone have a better offer for me?” The other players may either raise their bid by adding an additional object to their offer, or refuse. If all players refuse to raise their offer, the Seller must select one of the existing offers.

Play continues in this fashion until one Seller draws 3 identical objects from their bag; at which point they win the game.

Players must push their luck, judgement and persuasion skills to acquire the majority of a particular type of good, while also trying to reduce the overall amount of goods they're carrying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sporktopia Games
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...what with needing proper action photos,...

If you are looking to add things as action photos, you can use a basic box render program like this https://www.thegamecrafter.com/announcements/3d-box-viewer and screenshot a photo.

You can also take photos of a hand-made prototype or can create some 800x600 pixel walk-through of game play slide in an graphics software (paint.net is free and one I like to use).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Baxter-Webb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Brilliant - thanks Spork!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.