Michael Eberle
msg tools
mb
Hello,

I am a first-time poster looking for a game recommendation. I enjoy games that feature a combination of game mechanics. For instance, I love the tableau building/bidding combo of Keyflower, the drafting/area control aspects of Blood Rage, and the tile placement/worker placement of A Feast for Odin. I tend to stay away from games that feature a strong narrative arc or have a strong reliance on dice. I was wondering if any one had any recommendations for games like that. Player count is relatively unimportant, and playtime should be in the 2-hour range.

Let me know if you have any recommendations for games with an interesting combination of mechanics.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark features a hand-building mechanic (a la Concordia) with worker placement, resource-engine and couples it with a race mechanic. What is especially interesting are its "time-penalties" that can set you back quite a bit. If you like games that require you to constantly optimize your moves this one would warrant a closer look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeeberle7 wrote:
Hello,

I am a first-time poster looking for a game recommendation. I enjoy games that feature a combination of game mechanics. For instance, I love the tableau building/bidding combo of Keyflower, the drafting/area control aspects of Blood Rage, and the tile placement/worker placement of A Feast for Odin. I tend to stay away from games that feature a strong narrative arc or have a strong reliance on dice. I was wondering if any one had any recommendations for games like that. Player count is relatively unimportant, and playtime should be in the 2-hour range.

Let me know if you have any recommendations for games with an interesting combination of mechanics.

Thanks

How do you feel about "chaos"?
If you don't mind a little:

-Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)
Combines role selection with area control

Then, a little less "chaotic" maybe:
-Concordia
Network building, role "drafting" and role selection, and some area control.

Even less on the chaotic spectrum:
-Power Grid
Combines auctions, markets that are sensitive to supply and demand, and network building
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doudman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest taking a look at Alchemists. Card drafting with hand management that uses worker placement and an interesting way to bid on turn order and available actions.

It is a very logical/thought-heavy game with deduction and bluffing. Needs all players to have a smartphone with the free app from CGE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My favorite mechanical mashup game is probably A Study in Emerald (second edition). It's got deck-building, hidden alliances/social deduction, area control, and a little bit of victory point salad. All the mechanics are really well integrated in the theme, too.

Another favorite of mine is Steampunk Rally. It's got a fun mix of card drafting, engine building, dice rolling/allocation, and racing.

Rev41 wrote:
I would suggest taking a look at Alchemists. Card drafting with hand management that uses worker placement and an interesting way to bid on turn order and available actions.

It is a very logical/thought-heavy game with deduction and bluffing. Needs all players to have a smartphone with the free app from CGE.

That's not accurate. The times I've played, we've just used one phone/tablet loaded with the app and passed it around as needed since you only mix ingredients on your turn. Everyone having their own device with the app could maybe be useful, but it's definitely not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should check out Trajan, it's a mechanism salad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game of all-time, Bruxelles 1893 is a great example of this. At it's heart, it's a worker placement game. You can either place workers on spaces that require one more worker than the previous group placed, or a single worker on the modular grid board accompanied by 1 or more coins. The coins you place are a bid every round for the card at the bottom of the column of worker placement locations (these cards are multi-purpose, either immediate benefits or multipliers for one of 4 end-game scoring objectives). Also, on the modular grid board, there is a shield in every corner of the worker placement locations. Any of these shields completely surrounded by 4 workers at the end of the round score area majority points for the player who surrounded it with the most workers.
In this way, every worker placed on the grid board is activating a worker placement location, adding to a bid on a multi-use card, AND competing in 4 different area majorities. Add to that special buildings you can place on locations that give you bonuses when opponents use it, a clever resource-requirement clock, and a cursor movement mechanism that changes the value of the paintings you collect. Everything is intricately connected to each other, and it shockingly isn't nearly as complex as it sounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Ruiz Santicchio
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Almagro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five Tribes Mancala mechanism

The Gallerist worker placement with kick out action and strong theme

Orleans bag building

Scythe engine building game with area control

And +1 for Trajan, the best Feld for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chain Magnate
Indonesia
The Great Zimbabwe
Antiquity
Roads & Boats
Greed Incorporated
Duck Dealer
haven't played BUS

Splotter games are built on that concept of unique mechanism combined with other unique mechanisms.

My design (inspired of Splotter games) Ibyron: Island of Discovery uses worker placement and constructing buildings, with good 'ol spacial references as well.

If you check out Heavy Cardboard podcast-youtube vids, you will literally see most of the heavier games tend to bring together more than one mechanism.

Vital Lacerda's games - Kanban, Co2, Vinhos, Gallerist, etc. all have this in them - complex games.

Goa - auctions and tech tree - oldie but great
Tzolkin - well you have to see that one to believe it. "worker placement uniqueness" is all I can say.
Keyper - another with worker placement in a spacial/special way - the boards are to not be missed.

Spielworxx Games have what you are seeking.
Lookout Games have what you are looking for.
What's Your Game? games have complex combinations of mechanisms; just what the Doctor ordered.

etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrants of the Underdark - deckbuilding + area control

Dominare - drafting + area influence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Lewis & Clark
+1 Bruxelles 1893

Mombasa - I’ve only had the chance to play it once but it struck me as having a terrific combination of mechanisms: card drafting, area control, simultaneous action selection and, in my opinion best of all, a very interesting hand management mechanism that really forces you to plan several turns ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones that come to mind for me:

Lewis & Clark - A race game to the finish line where you will be using worker placement, card drafting/deck building, multiuse cards (cards can be played face up for their ability or face down to "power" cards - but cards can be powered by Indian worker meeples, and you can use any combination to generate 1-3 power), resource gathering/processing, and tableau building (well, not exactly - you play the cards down in front of you, and they produce symbols that can be used by you or others to get goods... and you leave them in front of you until you "camp down" and then any cards in your hand are a penalty to your progress). Great game. After playing it at our FLGS it became a "must buy" for my wife and I.

Star Trek: Fleet Captains - A great blend of mechanisms. First, you decide on VP for the game and this becomes your total fleet size (10 VP is normal). Then you randomly draft ships to your total fleet size from your deck of 12 ship cards. If a ship causes you to go over, you don't draft it - if you end up with less than the total size, then you can opt to mulligan and re-draw your ships (but don't have to). Next you use those ships to determine your starting mission deck (1 ship size = 1 mission card from the science, influence, and combat missions deck... or espionage with expansion). After that you choose 4 out of 10 ten card command decks (that consist of 2-3 crew members and 7-8 action cards tied together by a common thematic element). After that, you lay out a random set of hex cards as a board, place your starting space board, and reveal 3 missions (if your mission deck runs out, you get to choose a deck to draw from the general supply decks). Gameplay is simple: your ships have 4 system ratings, you do 4X stuff of exploring and building outposts/colonies/starbases, and work to complete your missions. A test is your system rating + 1 card + 1d6 vs a target or an opponents test. Multiple ships can spend actions (3 in a normal 10 VP game) to sum their ratings on a test, but only 1 card and 1d6 are added. Though a 4X game, your goal is to gather VP and be the first to earn the goal amount. Great blend of game mechanisms - a shame the game failed. Dice rolling is really a small factor in this game.

Pax Pamir and Pax Renaissance - tableau builders with an area control map element. I particularly like how you use your tableaux as a "political" map to move upon with certain units, and I like how you have non-player pieces that you influence/control. You have a market draft for the cards and variable victory conditions that you can influence. Not as widely varied as the above two games, but these are big-box-heavy-games-in-a-tiny-filler-sized-box type games (as many Sierra Madre Games titles have been lately). No dice involved in these games, and they play in 1-2 hours (though will be a challenge to learn, but there are great videos out there for learning them).

Bios Genesis - Start off playing a push-your-luck dice game as you send out your bionts ("sparks of life") into refugia (habitats of unorganized/inert organic compounds waiting to be organized into replicating compounds that are metabolically active) and hope you get lucky and form a single-celled life form. After that, you then start tableau building and adding mutations (and promoting them) to your bacteria to help them survive the hard event cards. There is still a push-your-luck element in that you roll dice and may see your lifeform die off. In the advance game, you use these mutations and their promotions to gain enough chromosomes to evolve into a macroorganism (usually marine then terrestrial, but you can skip straight to terrestrial); these use organs to survive event cards and compete for trophic level dominance (plant, herbivore, carnivore). Score the most VP to win. Oh, and then you can use this game to influence the start of the next game, Bios Megafauna 2E - which is a very different area control game with some neat mechanisms in it. The two games combined make for one mega game that is just awesome. Yeah, I could name a whole lot of Sierra Madre Games titles here. These might go a little longer than 2 hours. Again, you don't like dice - but it makes sense here. I just wanted to mention this as a "heavy science" game you may not be aware existed (and for others reading this post who might be looking for games with interesting blends of mechanisms).

I could mention more, but I think that is good enough. Highly recommend Lewis & Clark based on the "typical" modern gamer habits, but I think that all the recommendations are ones you should consider looking into (except maybe Bios Genesis - but Bios Megafauna 2E might be interesting to you; a tableau builder area control game of evolution with these neat 7 hex tiles that are used to simulate drifting cratons that can collide to form continents and break apart... minimal dice rolling in the game, and most dice provided are used to track latitude and creature size).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zorko
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeeberle7 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks

Sadly it might be harder to find, but Helvetia has in my opinion an really interesting mix of worker placement and area majority.

All action spaces can take any amount of workers and having majorities on them after a round can bring victory points and bonus actions (different bonus actions depending on the type of actions you had majority) for the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
Take a look at Burano.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played it, but Safranito is part buy low/sell high trading game and part dexterity game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have enough people, Space Cadets is a partially real-time co-op, with a different job for everyone. The Helm Officer draws cards and uses them to plot a course. The Weapons Officer plays tetris with shaped tokens to build torpedoes, then fires them by flicking a wooden disk down a track. The Tractor Beam Officer plays a memory game with tokens. The Sensor Officer pulls shapes out of a bag, sight unseen, to match those on cards. The Shields Officer tries to make poker hands with numbered tokens. The Damage Control Officer uses decks of cards to determine which stations take damage, and uses other decks to try to repair stations, or stop a core breach (everyone has to drop what they're doing and help with a core breach). The Engineering Officer arranges tiles with matching sides to create energy to give to the other stations so they can do what they need to do. The Captain has to coordinate everything, and is responsible for determining who takes which job during a shift change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mbmb
World's Fair 1893 - Area Majority, Set Collection, Drafting, Time Track

Biblios - Set Collection, Push Your Luck, Drafting, Auction, Points Manipulation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo is a great combination of area control with deck building.

Fleet has auction + engine building + hand management, awesome game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yunnan has some of what you mention so might suit you

Also Yedo has an interesting mix to me but might not be quite what you're looking for?

+1 kanban and the great zimbabwe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and I saw a game called Archipelago and Dominant Species which had all these mechanisms but weren't for me so not sure how they play? I know dominant species is quite popular?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, A Study in Emerald features a really interesting mix of mechanics: Hidden factions, a bit of deck-building, and worker placement / majority control.

Ginkgopolis is also very neat, featuring some drafting, tile-laying, and area-control.

Hyperborea might also qualify with its bag-building and dudes-on-a-map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.