B M
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any tips on how to tell the difference between the icons on cards for white cubes and gray cubes? They look nearly the same when reading the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Davenport
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gray cubes only appear on the Unity cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer went into pretty complete detail here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27995013#27995013

If it’s not the output of a Unity converter, it’s white. If it is the output of a Unity converter, it’s probably gray. (I don’t have my cards in front of me, so I don’t know which if any Unity converters produce white. But you’ll have all the other converters right to hand, and be able to compare them side-by-side.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McSteve
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's not clear when looking at a white cube icon whether it's white or grey, but it really IS clear when looking at a grey cube that it's actually grey. So, grey is clearly grey. If you go, "huh?" it's probably white. But the previous posters make a more nuts-and-bolts case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kuehl
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is another factor that compounds this problem for new players: the preview box on the front side of research teams.

Every research team has at least one dark-gray cube pictured on its converter preview that is meant to denote that the output is variable based on the race that you are using. This really should have been a cube with a "?" inside of it instead, because the dark gray looks extremely similar to the icons for both the white and gray cubes and it consistently confuses people during their first couple of plays.

This, coupled with the icons for white and gray cubes being extremely similar certainly adds wrinkles to teaching an otherwise elegant game. Hopefully these issue will be fixed if the game is ever reprinted.

As for how to tell them apart. I'll paraphrase what I just mentioned along with the rest of the advice from the thread:

There are three types of icons that are similar.
1. The only cards with gray (wild) cubes on them are the Unity's starting converters and computer worlds. No other cards produce wild cubes and no cards call for them as input. Note that there is a difference between small and large gray cubes. The only way to tell which type is being produced is by the relative size of the icon.
2. Dark-gray cube icons only appear on the preview box on the front side of research teams. They denote a converter output that varies based on race.
3. All other icons that could be could potentially be confused as gray or white should be white cubes. They appear on almost all card types including converters, research, teams, planets, and race-specific cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.