Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris nelson
United States
greenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have AH and the Dunwich cycle coming soon and was wondering who would be a good first investigator to start with as a solo player.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roland Banks is still the most ideal starting investigator for a solo player. He is designed to excel at the two main areas of focus in the game (fighting monsters and investigating).

Ashcan Pete is another good solo investigator because of Duke, his signature asset, can also fight monsters and investigate really well. The mechanics with Duke involve a little more finesse than Roland though for a first time player, so I would still recommend going with Roland first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Roland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Montgomery
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Wyndam22 wrote:
Ashcan Pete is another good solo investigator because of Duke, his signature asset, can also fight monsters and investigate really well. The mechanics with Duke involve a little more finesse than Roland though for a first time player, so I would still recommend going with Roland first.

I like Ashcan, but I think Roland really is a better first time investigator. The mechanic of pitching a card to ready Duke might be better tackled after you have played through a few games and can make comparisons between the value of the card and the value of Duke's ability. There can also be some odd edge cases with the "move before investigate" ability that Duke has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you have Dunwich as well, Jenny's not a terrible pick either. Roland is easier to manage, but Jenny is kinda okay at anything so it's a good option if you want to explore a few alternative strategies as you play.

Roland is a bit less flexible and plays pretty much the same the entire way through the campaign.

Depends on what you're looking for and willing to tackle in your first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris nelson
United States
greenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll start with Roland and then start branching out once I get the game down.

Thanks for the replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gibson
Australia
Wynyard
TAS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roland is a very good starting player for your first game.

Once you get the hang of the game, I would highly recommend Jenny as a solo character with the strategy of producing resources to fuel cards like Arcane Studies and Hard Knocks.

Good Luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had fun with Agnes. It's possible to build a straitghforward "screw the chaos token bag" build with her, but maybe not as intuitive as Roland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Roland is the easiest to deck build and play because he has the most straightforward stats and strategies. You investigate and kill things I would always say Roland.

Ashcan and Jenny both are also well rounded new player friendly characters. Ashcan because his weaknesses are covered by his ally Duke so right out the gate he has the flexibility to make any test (and the survivor pool does a lot to mitigate luck). Jenny because she literally has a balanced stat line and her resource generation means by default you could just include the pay to pump cards to get over thresholds without thinking too much about the rest of the deck. Therefore building their decks tend to be a bit easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Hobbes
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My recommendation is to just go with your gut. Look at the investigators and choose the one you like the most. AH is not necessarily a game about mini/maxing and even loosing some missions is fun because you can still advance. Its all about immersing yourself into the theme. Also you will realize that the game plays out quite different regarding what character you choose. So its always nice to start again with annother one.

A friend I play with just loves Ashcan Pete (Dunwich) and he choose him because he looks like Clint Eastwood. Total legit reason.

I started with Skids without having a clue if he works solo and well you loose some you win some
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.