Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are do officers and captains go during setup? The blue box or the military affairs and director of trade boxes to be placed that first turn? I don't remember reading anything that clarifies this and it just says to put them in the box.

If they're placed in the blue box during setup, it seems weird that the military officer doesn't have much to do on the first turn besides buy and place guns even though there might be a few officers in the blue box. And then someone putting in an officer or captain on their first family action is just in the same group as everyone else off the setup roll. Also, the events that happen on the first turn would have no ability to be stopped if they try something that would be defended with an army. We had some closed region conquer a starting region in a presidency on the first event. This really can't be blocked with anything since it would need the person to save up their money to hire mercenaries instead of sailing on the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Into the blue box during setup is correct, but don't forget the additional placement into the writers box. Placing into either box as the first family action does not get the bonus writer. The delay was discussed here, Why are officers and captains delayed one turn? .

In regards to having nothing to do, there are moments in the game where there just aren't any decisions that an executive can make. Those are the times that you just wish you could retire and enjoy the spoils.

Bad things happening in India on the first turn is an intentional design decision simulating the chaos that the EIC faced. I would be interested to know what the percentage chance of losing a starting region is on the first turn. If I recall correctly, there is a suggestion in the rules to play the first game without events, although this just sounds wrong to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember when randomly placing officers and captains during setup, the supplemental matching cube(s) that go into the Writers box comes from a player's stock and not their starting cubes (matching cubes from executive selection during setup that go into the Directors box do come from your starting cubes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromey Martin
United States
Dallas
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taraba wrote:
We had some closed region conquer a starting region in a presidency on the first event. This really can't be blocked with anything since it would need the person to save up their money to hire mercenaries instead of sailing on the first turn.

If the players feel that there is a risk of a Presidency losing its last region, then saving up their money for mercenaries is exactly what they should be doing. That is hardly "can't be blocked with anything". In addition, the players can buy shares on their first family action and have the Chairman allocate the funds to the potentially threatened areas.

Also, don't forget that the Chairman can always time a Debt action however they please for some emergency funds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Habbaku wrote:
Also, don't forget that the Chairman can always time a Debt action however they please for some emergency funds.
Forget, I missed that rule completely somehow. Bottom of the page, that is my excuse. Back to school for me.
That would be company phase only though, so you can’t use it for an emergency police purchase during the events. Planning is still required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromey Martin
United States
Dallas
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, Kurt!

A Chairman (and President) seeking to avoid a Presidency being conquered should spread its turn 1 guns and spare funds carefully based upon the likely path of the Elephant. The likelihood of an attack is pretty low, but shouldn't be completely discounted.

It all depends on how much risk the players are willing to tolerate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.