United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you play without witch?
RedRubin wrote:
Is it possible to have fun without witchcraft?
Is there a replacement card?
The question also applies to extensions.

Is this a religion thing?

Regardless, yes you can play without Witch. Each game only has 10 Kingdom cards, and Witch is one of 26 Kingdom cards included in the box. Just play with 10 cards that aren't Witch, problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Playing without Curses is somewhat more problematic, though, if that is part of the question/objection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
Playing without Curses is somewhat more problematic, though, if that is part of the question/objection.

Not really. There aren’t that many cards that use curses and it is easy enough to exclude those too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Esch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually, I only have fun without Witch and Curses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is the actual religious beef with witches? Surely everyone grew up with fairytales and wicked witches - it's only a bit of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have only the base game. We don't like the witch cards because they don't seem good cards to us. So we play without them. As such, we don't use the curse cards. Lately though we've started playing with my older daughter. she really does like the witch card and so it's gotten reintroduced to the mix. As such, we've had to adapt.

So it can go either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lenny, you do not have to play with the Witch card. It falls into a category of cards throughout the system referred to as Attack cards. This category has a variety of faces/names that do similar things that require Curse cards. The beauty of the system with the variety of cards it offers is that you can mix it up to your liking and preference without breaking it.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if it is the attack itself that bothers you, then Dominion might not be your game. There are a lot of attack cards. Surely not all of them act the way a Witch does. If it is a theme thing, then stay far, far away from Nocturne and Dark Ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always choose to play without cards you don't like.

You can also always choose to ignore other people's assumptions and opinions about whatever belief system you may or may not have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
East Longmeadow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As stated above, the beauty of Dominion is that you can play with whatever cards you choose. Different sets of cards will produce very different games.

I have 3-4 expansions, but I've created a set of my favorite 35 cards and have just been playing with random 10s of those lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Helfer
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
But if it is the attack itself that bothers you, then Dominion might not be your game.

Attack cards make up a relatively small minority of cards, though, and it is fairly easy to avoid them. I often feel like attack cards can bog down the game more than they add excitement, though that's very much a question of temperament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eliashelfer wrote:
rickert wrote:
But if it is the attack itself that bothers you, then Dominion might not be your game.

Attack cards make up a relatively small minority of cards, though, and it is fairly easy to avoid them. I often feel like attack cards can bog down the game more than they add excitement, though that's very much a question of temperament.

Is (roughly) 1 out of every 6 cards a "small minority"? There are now 50 Attack cards among all the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can definitely choose to never include the Witch, in which case you're missing out on a small aspect of the game. Most expansions include an attack that is a bit like Witch in some fashion, so depending on what your issues are with the card you may have to avoid those cards too.

You should, if possible, still include Curses in the supply - the rules state that you always include them, and there are legitimate reasons why you may want to buy them, especially when you include expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”-Thorin Oakenshield
badge
"Joooe Cool, hanging 'round the water fountain..."
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:
As stated above, the beauty of Dominion is that you can play with whatever cards you choose. Different sets of cards will produce very different games.

I have 3-4 expansions, but I've created a set of my favorite 35 cards and have just been playing with random 10s of those lately.

That's a great idea! I think I'm gonna try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you feel compelled to burn Witches, be sure to also pick up the Adventures sey, which lets you do so via the Bonfire event

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Helfer
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:

Is (roughly) 1 out of every 6 cards a "small minority"? There are now 50 Attack cards among all the expansions.

Yes, I'd say so. About 15 % is a"relatively small minority" in my book. It's 50 attack cards out of around 300 total cards. And you can easily play without attacks, even if you only have one of the base boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everette Robertson
United States
Calhoun
KY
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you don't like curses, you can buy the Dark Ages expansion. It is the only expansion without a card that gives Curses. Instead, it has three cards that give out Ruins, which are a kind of card that are usually worse than Copper and usually better than Curse, and which also cost $0. These three cards have the special type "Looter" in addition to their normal "Action" card type.

Even if you aren't using Dark Ages cards, you could have a house rule that cards that give out Curses instead give out Ruins.

But it's important to play with Curses, even if you aren't playing with a card in your kingdom that formally gives them out. There are a number of cards--like Ambassador, Masquerade, Swinder, Fairgrounds, etc. that can allow or encourage you or another player to gain a curse, eventhough "curse" isn't written on the card. And in rare cases you'll even want to buy out the curses in order to empty a third pile and win.

Using Ruins as "curses" can add most of these strategic elements back into your game without requiring you to actually use the Curse cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
marcory wrote:
If you don't like curses, you can buy the Dark Ages expansion. It is the only expansion without a card that gives Curses. Instead, it has three cards that give out Ruins, which are a kind of card that are usually worse than Copper and usually better than Curse, and which also cost $0. These three cards have the special type "Looter" in addition to their normal "Action" card type.

Even if you aren't using Dark Ages cards, you could have a house rule that cards that give out Curses instead give out Ruins.

But it's important to play with Curses, even if you aren't playing with a card in your kingdom that formally gives them out. There are a number of cards--like Ambassador, Masquerade, Swinder, Fairgrounds, etc. that can allow or encourage you or another player to gain a curse, eventhough "curse" isn't written on the card. And in rare cases you'll even want to buy out the curses in order to empty a third pile and win.

Using Ruins as "curses" can add most of these strategic elements back into your game without requiring you to actually use the Curse cards.

What a palaver just to avoid a harmless bit of fairytale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
marcory wrote:
If you don't like curses, you can buy the Dark Ages expansion.

There are other cards in Dark Ages that I would imagine to be problematic for the OP. It's kind of in the name...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.