Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Inox encampment spawn question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Renkas
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The special rules state that a guard spawns at location 'a' at the beginning of every round for three to four player. Does this include the start of round one? If taken literally, I would assume so. I do not want to add an extra monster if I don't have to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it that it included round 1. It does say EVERY round.

Also, remember that these spawned guards will not drop money tokens when you kill them (something I forgot during my first *unsuccessful* play through of this scenario).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Note that the spawns still abide by the rule of being limited to the number of standees available, so if you're playing with four characters, you won't spawn one at the beginning of the first round because all six are already placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lufkin
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Doesn't it say "at the end of the round"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
#3 - Inox Encampment wrote:
Until door (1) is opened, one normal Inox Guard spawns at (a) at the end of every odd round for two characters or the beginning of every round for three or four characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Renkas
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Awesome. Thanks for that heads up. I am playing with three players and thought I would be spawning infinitely..lol. Where is the rule that states that spawns are limited to the number of standees? And, if all standees have been used on spawns for location 'a', do the 'real' monsters in the scenario rooms appear when revealed, or do they not spawn? Because, in scenario 2 - barrow lair, I actually created two extra living corpse standees when all rooms were revealed because I was short two. Was that the proper ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
NateTGreat wrote:
Because, in the barrow lair, I actually created two extra living corpse standees when all rooms were revealed because I was short two. Was that the proper ruling?

Nope. If there aren't enough standees, you don't place new monsters, whether revealed, summoned, or spawned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lufkin
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
#3 - Inox Encampment wrote:
Until door (1) is opened, one normal Inox Guard spawns at (a) at the end of every odd round for two characters or the beginning of every round for three or four characters.

Ah! Oops! Thanks for the clarification, I think my eyes read the first part about at the end of the round and my brain filled in the rest without me actually reading it. We beat that mission, and I don't now if it would have made a huge difference with them spawning at the start of the round really, but if we play it again I'll know better. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Renkas
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hahah. What a relief. Ill stop making things difficult for myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rulebook pg 19 wrote:
It is possible to run out
of specific types of monster standees when revealing a room. If this happens, place only the standees that are
available, starting with the monsters closest to the revealing character.

rulebook pg 31 wrote:
If there are no empty
adjacent hexes or there are no available standees of the summoned monster type, the summon fails.

In my opinoin, that establishes that the number of standees for a particular monster group is a hard limit in terms of the number of each type of monster on the board at any one time.

Technically, it doesn't specifically say that it applies to spanwed creatures as well (only revealed and summoned), but it also never mentions the option of doing anything else once all the standees of that type are on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also a reminder of a relevant rule that applies to this scenario:

rulebook pg 34 wrote:
Spawning: When a monster is spawned, it is set up on the map at its spawning location or the nearest
empty hex to that location. If a monster is spawned at the end of a round, it will begin to activate on the
following round. If a monster is spawned during a round, it activates as if it had just been revealed (see
Revealing a Room on p. 19 for details).

So if there are two characters in the scenario, the Guard will spawn at the end of the odd rounds and will not take action that round.

But if there are three or four characters, the Guard spawns at the beginning of each round, and thus will take action on the round that they are spawned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Melanikus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I think that the spawns in this scenario do drop coins when killed. Only Summons do not. (p31 for monster summoning) I can't find a reference to Spawning monsters not dropping coins when killed (although I might have missed it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
melanikus2000 wrote:
I think that the spawns in this scenario do drop coins when killed. Only Summons do not. (p31 for monster summoning) I can't find a reference to Spawning monsters not dropping coins when killed (although I might have missed it)

rulebook pg 20 wrote:
When a monster dies, a money token is also placed on the hex where it died if the monster was not
summoned or spawned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mb
melanikus2000 wrote:

Spawns don't drop coins. Cit. p.20 bolded text in the middle of the page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Melanikus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Ah, cool. I see it now, cheers. I thought I might have missed something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Robinson
Canada
flag msg tools
One thing I was wondering about this, because it happened to my group, is what do you do if at the end of the round there's still a guard in the 'a' spot? We had a discussion about it around our table and we ultimately decided another guard would still spawn, just in an adjacent square.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Spawns will always spawn in the closest empty hex to the spawn point, no matter how far. So even if the spawn is occupied, and all six adjacent hexes are ALSO occupied, the monster would still spawn.

Contrast with monster summoning, which requires an empty adjacent hex and will fail if there are no such hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.