Subject: Can this game be an interactive game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I played Splendor for the first time.

I tried a strategy of only buying cards with points.
I did not win but given all the inefficient ways that I tried out
to get to that, reserving cards, getting only two coins
I did surprisingly well, perhaps because the others were
not going after those cards at the beginning.

People at the table seemed to think that there was only
one strategy, getting coins, then tier one cards, then
cards with points.

Just a quick review here suggests that actually, there are more
than one strategy with this game.

-----------------------

That brings me to my second question. People at the table seemed
to play pretty independently. Maybe one person got to snag a card
before another. But when one player accumulated 5 black coins
with the clear intention of getting a tier 2 card, no one reserved
the card to counter him, letting him get an easy 3 points.

Can this game be more of an interactive game where people notice the
cards someone is likely going after and blocking it, kind of like Quoridor? or are there too many cards for this to hinder the opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Davis
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely depends on how you want to play. We usually play it pretty non-confrontationaly so not blocking eachother and just seeing who can build their card stacks fastest.

You certainly can play to block others but that involves a lot of watching everyone's card counts and and coin counts and thinking about what they're working towards.

Best way to block is often to reserve a card with a gold coin. That said, we find that kind of cheap being as there is no limit to reserved cards. We have been thinking about adding a house rule where each reserved card that isn't purchased by the end of the game is negative value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can play cutthroat, and it’s certainly a powerful strategy. But Splendor seems to attract a more Carebear crowd so you don’t always see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
zach66827 wrote:
Definitely depends on how you want to play. We usually play it pretty non-confrontationaly so not blocking eachother and just seeing who can build their card stacks fastest.

You certainly can play to block others but that involves a lot of watching everyone's card counts and and coin counts and thinking about what they're working towards.

Best way to block is often to reserve a card with a gold coin. That said, we find that kind of cheap being as there is no limit to reserved cards. We have been thinking about adding a house rule where each reserved card that isn't purchased by the end of the game is negative value.

There’s a limit of three reserved cards in your hand and the only way to get rid of a reserved card is to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't always block, but we often compete for cards. E.g., if I'm collecting whites, and so are you, it gets competitive on who gets a "good" white card first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been slowly but surely curating a group of gamers at work and last year during March Madness we did a March Gaming Madness Bracket during lunch breaks. I had not played Splendor, but another guy had gone on about how he loved it and he had never lost. So I played it a couple times then I challenged him to a game for the bracket. He was quite pleased to have Splendor be the game. I just watched what he was collecting and every time he got close to taking a card I would take it with the gold coin. EDIT: But never more than 3 at a time.

He couldn't see what I was doing just that I kept taking his stuff, not why. In the end I beat him (but not by much) I think a third player would have ran away with the game. He seemed baffled by what had happened so I explained that I targeted him the whole game then he saw it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. "Ponder" Rummy
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
"there are many ways you can pay your rent, but that’s not really who you are, and the rest of the time you can polish a little part of your mind until it’s bright enough for someone else to notice." - Jerry Holkins
mbmbmbmbmb
at my table, we feel like pacifist game playing is either letting luck decide or just plain going easy on the other person. my wife doesn't particularly lean towards blocking by reserve or chip monopoly, but she's certainly aware of both our gems. i don't dare telegraph too often which Tier 3 cards i'm gunning for or i'll lose them. it's one thing to play friendly, it's another thing to just hand your opponent the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thank you for your responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anshul Joshi
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With my limited play experience of Splendor, I can say that going for points cards only can result in you winning before people complete their noble card requirements or build their engines. But it completely depends on the cards which have come out.

I have tried playing a points only game even though looking at the cards in front I knew it was not the way to go. The person who collected nobles won by a landslide in that game. But in other games I've won by a big margin (other players still in single digits).

So it totally depends on how you read the cards that have opened and how you respond to changes in the deck when new cards come out / people block your card.

You definitely have to keep an eye out on what others are collecting. In a game I played yesterday, I saw that a player had collected 6 blues and there was a 7 blue card worth 4 points on the board. So I reserved (blocked) it with no intention of ever buying it. 4 points is a big number in Splendor.

So yes - limited interaction is possible in the game by blocking another players cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.