Popular Tags: [View All]
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been a bit frustrated that every time I pull this game out I basically have to re-sticker all of the metal flag stands, because the stickers (flags, commander names) themselves fall so easily off the metal. And it's not only when setting up ... mid-game, stickers will become detached. There's just not enough stick on the stickers to make them stay, unlike the stickers on wood in Guns of Gettysburg, or any other wooden block wargame you might care to name.

Has anyone has success using a small amount of glue to more permanently affix said stickers to their metal pieces, and if so, what type of glue did you use?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
GENEVA
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Has anyone has success using a small amount of glue to more permanently affix said stickers to their metal pieces, and if so, what type of glue did you use?

I've contemplated this question for some time, but never attempted it for fear of making things worse. I too would be curious to know if anyone has had success gluing them on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that might work is, after gluing the stickers on, use a heavy coat of lacquer over the metal piece to seal it. This should hold them on.

But of course, you should try that first, Davey. Then you can tell us if it works so I can do it to my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had the problem, but it's been discussed here a number of times. A forum search for 'glue' returns several hits; here are a couple that look useful:

Re: How to keep the stickers in place!
Re: Flag Stickers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

Thanks!

I used some crazy glue ... dries quickly (I still left them out of the bag overnight) and I've had no troubles since ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Xookliba wrote:
One thing that might work is, after gluing the stickers on, use a heavy coat of lacquer over the metal piece to seal it. This should hold them on.

But of course, you should try that first, Davey. Then you can tell us if it works so I can do it to my copy.

I applied lacquer to my pieces (with no additional glue under the stickers), and it worked very well. In 4 years or so, no sticker has peeled up. The stickers are also protected from being rubbed or scratched.

I used a matte lacquer to minimize glare, and brushed it on (rather than sprayed). I did one coat, let it dry, then one more coat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy from Rachel on Amazon last year, and it arrived with stickers that, while still affixed to the sheet, *clearly* lacked enough stick to remain in place. I affixed them with a few dots (3 if I recall) of transparent Elmers, applied directly to the metal and then I put the sticker in place and slid it back and forth to distribute the glue. Then I wiped the underside with a baby wipe to grab any excess glue, and I dried them for 90 minutes on a sheet of aluminum foil.

So far, so good. And I still have the second sheet if something goes awry.

The amazingly useful thistothat.com suggests that a metal epoxy is the right tool for affixing paper to metal. But the Elmers is doing fine so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I may try fully de-stickering and washing the metal stands, then some sort of glue, then spraying with a matte finish lacquer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I've said this before, but after a few games spent reapplying the flag stickers, I just took them off and threw them away. I now play with the plain black iron flags. I think it looks a lot better. The flag decals are too small to see much detail anyway, and from the distance of gameplay I always found them dismissible at best, an eyesore at worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Owned my copy for five plus years. Maybe one sticker lifted a little. But I thoroughly cleaned the metal with grease busting dish soup, wiped them off and let them dry before I started to apply the stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiyum wrote:
I got my copy from Rachel on Amazon last year, and it arrived with stickers that, while still affixed to the sheet, *clearly* lacked enough stick to remain in place.

Unfortunately, the chemical adhesive in stickers can't last forever. At some point, they will need a new adhesive to remain affixed. There is a full set of extra stickers with every game, which gives a safety margin for error when doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathMosque wrote:
I've said this before, but after a few games spent reapplying the flag stickers, I just took them off and threw them away. I now play with the plain black iron flags. I think it looks a lot better. The flag decals are too small to see much detail anyway, and from the distance of gameplay I always found them dismissible at best, an eyesore at worst.

Just curious: how do you tell who is who?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
Wiyum wrote:
I got my copy from Rachel on Amazon last year, and it arrived with stickers that, while still affixed to the sheet, *clearly* lacked enough stick to remain in place.

Unfortunately, the chemical adhesive in stickers can't last forever. At some point, they will need a new adhesive to remain affixed. There is a full set of extra stickers with every game, which gives a safety margin for error when doing so.

Of course! The detail wasn't intended as a complaint, more a warning that even just sitting on the sheet in a shrinkwrapped box, this is going to happen sooner or later. Chemistry always wins in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same problem a while back. I didn't try glue but cleaned the metal really well and took a scan of the sticker sheet and printed it on a sticky back sheet of label paper. Worked well for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Hudiksvall
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to me recently as well when pulled the game out, after some years on the shelf. Next time I will clue the stickers. However, since they where attached almost ten years ago I think they have lasted very long anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I used double sided tape, which I cut to size as I also recently got one of the old sets where the glue had long gone. It has worked very well and not having liquid glue reduces risk of any mishaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borz wrote:
DeathMosque wrote:

Not important really. You learn to remember what units are located where as the game progresses.

I use a system of marking commanders that moved, instead of placing markers on the command track. How to do that? You place a black marker beside the commander who just issued a command. Or in my case, I flip the commander over. I use Columbian wooden blocks for commanders. That solves the issue of peeling flags too. Create your own stickers to taste. Stickers don't fall off wooden surfaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Benson
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borz wrote:
DeathMosque wrote:

I think he was just referring to the flags. I guess the leader name labels don't fall off quite so easily.

WalterLai wrote:
I use a system of marking commanders that moved, instead of placing markers on the command track. How to do that? You place a black marker beside the commander who just issued a command. Or in my case, I flip the commander over. I use Columbian wooden blocks for commanders. That solves the issue of peeling flags too. Create your own stickers to taste. Stickers don't fall off wooden surfaces.

One could just use the NT stickers on small blocks. As a start point for something more fancy, perhaps this will help... someone built a custom set of labels for the Austerlitz scenario in Commands & Colors: Napoleonics Expansion #6 – EPIC Napoleonics that has all but Murat, Liechtenstein and Prebyshevsky: here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marktb1961 wrote:
I think he was just referring to the flags. I guess the leader name labels don't fall off quite so easily.

But all my stickers, flags or names fall off after a few plays.

marktb1961 wrote:
One could just use the NT stickers on small blocks. As a start point for something more fancy, perhaps this will help... someone built a custom set of labels for the Austerlitz scenario in Commands & Colors: Napoleonics Expansion #6 – EPIC Napoleonics that has all but Murat, Liechtenstein and Prebyshevsky: here

Or you could just use the fancy stickers found here. Though I made them without the names:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb C
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
hi,
i use Micro kristal klear, for instance it s ok

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.