Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

One Deck Dungeon» Forums » General

Subject: 1st Play - Did I just received 7 damage for my 1st encounter and died ?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,
the other day I received the base game along with the expansion, and after reading the rulebook (1.6 version), today I've played my first session, and I think that I died on the 1st encounter, playing the warrior.
Let me explain:
1. I've played the easiest dungeon - Dragon's Cave
2. First encounter was the Phantom, and I was able to fill the 2 shield boxes from its card, but for the other boxes my dice rolls were to low, and I couldn't fill any of them, meaning that I would take 6 damage, correct ? Also, this enemy has removed all my 1s and 3s dice roll (2 dice in total)
3. Another 1 damage I took from the dungeon combat box, so 7 in total
4. Knowing that the warrior starting health is 6, I just died

This happened with a very bad roll, but could have been a situation in which I could avoid this ?
I want to mention that this 1st encounter took place after I've explored a bit and flee from some enemies, but all the enemies in the dungeon were super hard to beat, so I choose the above one, without any luck apparently.
So, please tell me if I've made any mistakes, missed something, or this game is very hard and brutal ?
Anyway, I will read again the rulebook, and give it a try with another character. But boy, what a bad luck to start a new game.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Reuter
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have used your starting potion to heal 2 damage instantly and live for another door. But, yes, it looks like you were already destined to die...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
confirmed: You are dead!

You propably choose the most difficult enemy in the game. Encountering him without any items or skills or black dice is a bad idea.
Yes, sometimes it happens that all 4 dungoncards are nearly impossible hard.

ninja
forgot about th potion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
If the phantom is the most approachable enemy out of the first four rooms you might as well reshuffle and redeal. That is an extremely bad draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
TN
flag msg tools
badge
For your first game or three you might consider starting your hero at level two so you have a black die to use and more space for items and skills. Some people just think the game is more fun like that even after getting the basics down. Also, double check that you're using the 1 player sides of the hero and level cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Muhahahaha devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt LMandri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have chosen to flee. You were not strong enough for that enemy. You flee and just leave that door open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydeshow4 wrote:
You could have chosen to flee. You were not strong enough for that enemy. You flee and just leave that door open.

I've done this 4 times, and then I was forced to choose an encounter. So from the all 4, I choose this. One of the encounter was the Ice Elemental, one was the Fire Elemental, and the last one I can't remember.
All 4 of them were super tough to beat without dying.
Also, my dice roll was terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
TN
flag msg tools
badge
RipTail wrote:
Sydeshow4 wrote:

I've done this 4 times, and then I was forced to choose an encounter. So from the all 4, I choose this. One of the encounter was the Ice Elemental, one was the Fire Elemental, and the last one I can't remember.

The good news is: your next foray into the dungeon will almost certainly be much longer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hipkiss
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing solo is certainly a killer! I've yet to beat the dragon on solo (played around 10 times with various characters), but have succeeded a few times with 2-player. I often get to the dragon, but then get pounded! I haven't played in campaign mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RipTail wrote:
Sydeshow4 wrote:

Yeah, you just had all around terrible luck. Generally it will be better.

Also, welcome to One Deck Dungeon! The Dungeon is not a friendly place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.