7 Posts

Untold: Adventures Await» Forums » Variants

Subject: Dice outcome and reaction variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rose tyler
msg tools
mbmbmb
I love this game but find the reaction and outcome cards don't work well with my family instead of working it into the story they are more likely to think of a funny but useless way to usend them that doesn't move the story. so I have been using this method instead

Outcome use a 1d6
1 no and..... something else bad happens
2 no
3 no but .... it's not a complete loss
4 yes but ...there is a price to pay
5 yes
6 yes and ...something good happens

When we get a and or but we roll story cubes for what to add to the scene it might be a helpful npc or a nasty rumor . If anything its an excuse for me to use more of those beautiful story cubes☺
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudia F
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your idea about replacing the reaction cards with story dice. They are more helpful than the smileys on the cards. Maybe a combination of dice and cards would work too?

But I wonder if adding a D6 is necessary at all. Comparing your D6 results to the outcome cards as detailed in the rule book I see no difference between the two. So why replace the outcome cards? All you need to do is get rid of the reaction cards and roll story dice instead. I think I'd find an ordinary D6 out of place in this game.

Thanks for suggesting this. I'll try it out right now. I was just about to set up the game, and I'm glad I checked BGG before I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rose tyler
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the right group I'm sure the outcome and reaction cards are great but my I'm the only one in my family to have done any rpg games before , they enjoy untold but the cards was slowest part of the game and didn't do the job they are meant to.
Coming up with fantastic twice was more fun for everyone we have some good storytellers in my family . I use a d6 because one game you can get nothing but no and the next all yes it doesn't matter if you shuffle or not dice are random the d6 is in most of my favorite solo rpgs the outcome cards do the same but you only have to get a d6 and not a bunch a cards I'm always scared I'm going to lose them
But you could still use the outcome cards it's just not as far as dice are I also feel like the odds are stacked for aginst me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudia F
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you mean. I‘ ve just finished a round of Moomins with dice instead of Reaction cards, and I *loved* how they changed the game.

Losing things, or, indeed, being burdened by them is an issue. I‘m thinking of a way to make the game ready for travel. I have the story cubes app so now I just need to find a way of taking the cards (Scene cards in particular) on the road...

Thanks again for sharing the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rose tyler
msg tools
mbmbmb
No problem , if you wanted you could try customizeing the reaction cubes the action set might work well as well as cubes with unique concepts but don't change the main set of story cubes that carries the theme of the story world .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudia F
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried the Reaction Dice variant. It worked a lot better than the cards, and I'm going to stick with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rose tyler
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool glad you like it☺

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.