Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Dinneen
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had begun working on a campaign system for EH right before FFG announced it would have an official one in the next expansion. I stopped working on mine thinking what we would get would be more....robust. And yes, I added the two new ones when they were announced.

I had created these as a reward or consequence for defeating an Ancient One. I had intended something a little different, but the only real rule change we would need for these to work with the official campaign is that win or lose, you move on!

Comment at will! When we have some good ones I'll lay them out in cards for printing!

Abhoth
Reward
Before resolving Monster Reckoning effects, the Lead Investigator may take 1 Health damage to remove 1 Cultist Monster on a Wilderness space.
Consequence
During Set Up, spawn a Cultist on two random Wilderness spaces.

Antediluvium
Reward
When a Gate spawns that corresponds to the current Omen, each Investigator in that space or a connected space gains 1 Health.
Consequence
When a Gate spawns that corresponds to the current Omen, each Investigator in that space or a connected space lose 1 Health.

Atlach-Nacha
Reward
When a Gate would open, investigators can spend a total number of clues and/or Spells equal to investigators to prevent it from opening.
Consequence
At the end of the Mythos phase, if there is not a Leng Spider Monster in play, spawn one at a random location. If there is a Leng Spider Monster already in play, it moves 1 space to the closest Investigator.

Azathoth
Reward
When a Gate spawns that corresponds to the current Omen, each Investigator in that space or a connected space gains 1 Sanity.
Consequence
When a Gate spawns that corresponds to the current Omen, each Investigator in that space or a connected space lose 1 Sanity.

Cthulhu
Reward
After performing both Actions, an investigator may move to a connected Sea location.
Consequence
At the beginning of each game, add an Eldritch Token to two random sea spaces.
Investigators must spend a Focus or Resource to move through a Sea space with an Eldritch token.

Elder Things
Reward
When a Gate spawns that corresponds to the current Omen, you may draw 2 Monsters and choose which one spawns with the Gate.
Consequence
The Antarctica board remains in play for the remainder of the campaign.

Hastur
Reward
Before the Mythos phase, each investigator on a location with an open Gate may immediately Encounter it.
Consequence
After the Mythos phase, each investigator on a location with an open Gate loses 1 Sanity unless they spend a Focus token.

Hypnos
Reward
When an investigator performs the Rest action, they may gain an additional Health or Sanity.
Consequence
The Dreamlands board remains in play for the remainder of the campaign.

Ithaqua
Reward
An investigator may choose to delay himself in Antarctica. If he does, regain all Health or Sanity.
Consequence
During set up, each investigator gains a Frostbite Condition.

Nephren-Ka
Reward
An investigator at the Pyramids may spend 1 Focus or Resource to gain a random Spell.
Consequence
The Pyramids board remains in play for the remainder of the campaign.

Nyarlathotep
Reward
Whenever an Eldritch Token would be placed, the Lead Investigator may test [w]. If successful, do not place the Eldritch Token.
Consequence
Whenever an Eldritch Token would be placed, the Lead Investigator may test [w]. If you fail, place an additional Eldritch Token.

Shub-Niggurath
Reward
Before resolving Monster Reckoning effects, the Lead Investigator may take 2 Sanity to remove a non-Epic Monster that does not have a Reckoning effect.
Consequence
Whenever a Ghoul, Goat Spawn or Dark Young Monster is spawned, spawn an additional Monster at the same location.

Shudde M'ell
Reward
Once during each game, if the Doom Track is on 20, you may remove a Devastation token from a city.

Syzygy
Reward
When the Omen Track moves, if there are no open Gates that correspond to the current Omen, retreat Doom by 1.
Consequence
During set up, spawn 2 additional Gates.

Yig
Reward
Whenever an investigator would receive a Poison Condition, they may spend a Focus or Resource to not gain it.
Consequence
During set up, each investigator gains a Poison Condition.

Yog-Sothoth
Reward
During set up, each investigator begins with a random Spell. They may take 2 Sanity damage to draw an additional random Spell.
Consequence
At the start of each game, spawn the Dunwich Horror at Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd try to avoid having things trigger on reckonings - there's enough going on there already. Where possible, it's probably better to add to set up. e.g. win vs Yog-Sothoth, everyone starts with a spell. lose against Yog-Sothoth, an extra gate opens at the start of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Skiba
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also expecting something completely different from the campaign. I think it would be great to combine these rewards/consequences with some flavour text like the win condition cards in the file section to create a set of Epilogue cards that somewhat mirror the Prologue cards.

Thematically I don’t think it’s appropriate that the campaign would continue after losing a bunch of scenarios. So maybe winning a game could provide you a reward for the next scenario, while losing would add consequences for the rest of the campaign. Once you have three ‘loss’ epilogue cards the campaign would be over. This provides some more flexibility than ‘one strike and you’re out’ but still keeps the stakes high enough to let the theme come through. If you keep messing up, it makes sense to me that it would become more difficult as the world becomes more of a mess.

I also think it would be appropriate for surviving investigators to be able to keep their items (and improvements/impairments). In practice, this might be overpowered, but I don’t expect it would be possible to keep somebody alive an entire campaign anyway.

Each AO could have a set of two double-sided cards, one for winning and one for losing. I imagine they'd look something like this set for Cthulu (I'm no writer but I did my best, I'm sure we have some more creative horror types around to come up with flavour ):

A Temporary Respite (Win before awakening)
“Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn” the dying man repeated through thick gurgles of blood. You knew what it meant but the cult’s conspiracy was undone and they would now never awaken the dark being they followed. On your travels home, you came across a report by a local sailor. It detailed the final moments of another man on a different vessel you’d once encountered out in the lonely and endless ocean. Among the incoherent ramblings of the transcript came a warning, “… we have always existed and always will, hidden in distant wastes and dark places. Next time he will wake when the stars are right again…” As you read this, the once creeping realization now overtakes you completely, the war against darkness would never really be over.

[Reward] This card remains in play for the next scenario. At the beginning of the scenario each investigator receives a Ship Travel Ticket and each surviving investigator receives a focus token.

The Story Of R’yleh (Win after awakening)

The vessel pitched violently once more as the gun decks blazed. You clung on to the rail tightly and the heavy corpse of the deep one relaxed and slide past you along the deck. The sailing companions that had survived the battle finally allowed themselves a breath, some collapsing to their knees in fits madness and despair. The rest were not so lucky. What you saw didn’t look like victory. You turned your head to the sea and gazed over the wreckage of the former flagship still burning, a darkening oil slick polluting the water around it. Silhouetted by flames, was the thing. Its titanic head slumped backward and fell from its shoulders. It had worked. Your mind wandered back to the faces you had seen perish for this cause, but now the seas were calming. It would be enough to ensure the horror would never be unleashed… you hoped.

[Reward] This card remains in play for the next scenario. At the beginning of the scenario each player receives a Ship Travel Ticket.

Horror That Devours (Loss before awakening)

A great crack splits your eardrums. You look up to see the thick, swirling darkness that covers the sky torn open by fire. The air begins to fill with ash and you turn your gaze towards the ocean. Dense and unnatural trails of smoke rain down, plummeting into the waters below. Feeling the last breaths slip from your body you look around one last time, gazing at the faces of those you tried to save. For some, the expressions of terror have been replaced with an unnerving calm as they begin to carve runes, not unlike the ones you’ve encountered on your journey, into their flesh. Some simply peel it off completely. You know that somebody, somewhere will try to succeed where you’ve failed but as you slip into a final darkness, you suspect the world has already ended.

[Consequence] This card remains in play for remainder of the campaign. New investigators begin each scenario with two fewer sanity and surviving investigators begin each scenario with three fewer sanity. At the beginning of each scenario spawn a Gate on space 18 and space 12 and advance doom by one.

Unhallowed Ocean (Loss after awakening)

A sharp pain shoots through up through your body and your vision shifts and mutates as a series of vivid hallucinations overwhelms you. In them, you see entire cities on fire as crowds of people fill the streets in a shared hysteria. The dull horror that keeps you awake each night as it creeps into your mind has now replaced it completely. You stumble across the deck and peer over the side of the ship to find the ocean surface covered with the carcasses of once living sea creatures. Their flesh and organs begin to twist and writhe, transforming into grotesque unknowable things that spill forth and begin to inch up the side of the ship. You despair for the world you will return to as you realize your struggle has been in vain. For now, the world survives but nothing will be the same again.

[Consequence] This card remains in play for remainder of the campaign. New investigators begin each scenario with two fewer sanity and surviving investigators begin each scenario with three fewer sanity. At the beginning of each scenario spawn a Gate on space 18 and space 12.

Edit: Threw together a quick test of what a Tarot size version of the card might look like:

Edit: And of course I would spell the name of the ancient one wrong in the card title but you get the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe the game should end as a loss when Doom reaches zero or Mythos deck runs out. This would prevent the final fight and give the impression of pieces moving into position, rather than a direct apocalypse. It would also simplify the need for two different sets of cards, as you either win or lose.

Here's my suggestions for Yog-Sothoth:

AN UNSCHEDULED INTERRUPTION

"KTLU would like to apologise yesterday's unscheduled interruption to our programming. Top government scientists have confirmed that an anomalous confluence of atmospheric pressure and unprecedented volcanic ash from Haleakala volcano in Hawaii led to the disruption of radio signals across the Western Seaboard.

"In international news, Mr Higson, the Keeper of the Great Clock, responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of Big Ben, has resigned his commission citing that "time no longer had any meaning for him." A spokesmen for Westminster council stated that Mr Higson has been under consider pressure recently and the recent incident in which Mr Higson chimed the famous bell 108 times at midnight had no bearing on their decision."

Shuffle an additional green card into Act I.

STRANGE DAYS

Strange were those days, when men spoke of two suns that shone in the firmament; the sun of the old England, which never set upon the Empire and by which the world busied itself and ordered its affairs, and the sun of the New England, possesséd of a languid quality, as a skin no longer taut over a drum, tantalisingly malleable in the right – or wrong – hands...

Strange, too, were hills of above Arkham. In distant Dunwich, a rust-bucket, ivy-choked fetid sore that festered in the Miskatonic valley, covens were seen congregating atop Sentinel Hill, singing hymns of glorious blood and ill times. And all the while, Old Whateley looked on with unalloyed glee, patted Wilbur's hair and muttered to himself "Soon, soon!"

At the start of each game, spawn the Dunwich Horror at Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Dinneen
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I changed them up to get rid of Reckonings. I tried to keep them thematic with the AO, basing them (as much as I could) on their card text.

I like the idea of additional effects if the AO flips. But I don't like the idea of a second R/C card for each AO. What about if the AO flips and you win, each investigator gains a +1 capacity to Focus or Resource? If it flips and you lose, Devastate a city (to represent the epic, but futile, battle). You would still have the R/C from winning/losing, the flip bonus would just be extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Skiba
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacob Busby wrote:
Maybe the game should end as a loss when Doom reaches zero or Mythos deck runs out. This would prevent the final fight and give the impression of pieces moving into position, rather than a direct apocalypse. It would also simplify the need for two different sets of cards, as you either win or lose.

Thematically, this might make a little more sense as well as it avoids the whole "Well Yig is here now let's go fight Azathoth" awkwardness of losing. Not sure how it would feel in practice but I think I tend to lose from running out of Mythos cards anyway so it might not even have that large of a consequence on end game feel. Might be different for others though.

dumbdiety wrote:
So I changed them up to get rid of Reckonings. I tried to keep them thematic with the AO, basing them (as much as I could) on their card text.

I like the idea of additional effects if the AO flips. But I don't like the idea of a second R/C card for each AO. What about if the AO flips and you win, each investigator gains a +1 capacity to Focus or Resource? If it flips and you lose, Devastate a city (to represent the epic, but futile, battle). You would still have the R/C from winning/losing, the flip bonus would just be extra.

I think defeating the scenario before the AO awakens should get you more of a bonus than if you defeat it after. That way it's rewarding you for a speedier and more efficient playthrough and is also more thematically accurate as you're probably less worn down in that instance. Likewise losing after the AO awakens should get you more of a consequence; I do like the idea of devastating a city. Do you mean this in addition to the unique Rewards/Consequences of each AO?

Edit: Spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Dinneen
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kathoolu wrote:
dumbdiety wrote:

I think defeating the scenario before the AO awakens should get you more of a bonus than if you defeat it after. That way it's rewarding you for a speedier and more efficient playthrough and is also more thematically accurate as you're probably less worn down in that instance. Likewise losing after the AO awakens should get you more of a consequence; I do like the idea of devastating a city. Do you mean this in addition to the unique Rewards/Consequences of each AO?

Yes, it would be in addition to. I do like the additional reward for defeating before flipping.

So, what about these:

Winning before you flip: Gain the unique Reward for defeating the AO. In addition, gain +1 capacity for Focus or Resource.

Winning after you flip: Gain the unique Reward for defeating the AO.

Losing before you flip: Suffer the unique Consequence for the AO.

Losing after you flip: Suffer the unique Consequence for the AO. In addition, draw a Devastation card. If the card does not Devastate a City, shuffle the card into the deck and draw again.

This way you get an additional reward or consequence without the need for an additional card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Skiba
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I like that. I'm not familiar with city devastation as I'm still missing that expansion (soon!) but I like the idea. From what it sounds like, shuffling the card back in wouldn't be necessary though, would it? If it didn't work the first time you draw it would it ever work after that?

Maybe if we can convince some of the other disappointed EH fans to help us nail down campaign rules/cards I can create a print version. Just because FFG dropped the ball a little bit doesn't mean we need to go without

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Dinneen
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all the Devastation cards devastate a city. about 1/3 are more "natural disaster" that wouldn't leave a lasting effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kathoolu wrote:
Maybe if we can convince some of the other disappointed EH fans to help us nail down campaign rules/cards I can create a print version. Just because FFG dropped the ball a little bit doesn't mean we need to go without

I would like:

• Carryover rules for each AO into the next game. Not just a blanket "IF win THEN xxxx, ELSE yyyy". But something that reflects the nature of the AO fought against. For instance, win or lose, after you face Cthulhu, any eldritch tokens around at the end of the game might carry over, but weaker. An investigator landing on one does the usual sanity hit and delayed, but removes the token. And not all of these have to be negative effects. For instance, for each Artifact "donated to a museum" (not returned the next game) at the end of the game, the next game starts with doom retreated by 1.
• Related to that, close losses shouldn't end the campaign, for most AOs. But should make the next game quite difficult. Major losses, or specific AOs (Azathoth in particular) should end the campaign there. I mean, you get nowhere against Cthulhu, and he rises from the waves... the Earth should be toast. But if you've solved three mysteries before the end of the game, he's effectively an extra starting rumor for the next game. This would split the difference between "losses only mean a minor difficulty next game" and "loss = you're done".
• Some carryover of character possessions and increase of character abilities, but not enough to unbalance future games. Starting possessions do not return if lost; the carryover will have to balance that. If some of that carryover is lost during the game (say, an impaired skill removes a carried-over skill improvement), it's permanently lost.
• Investigators ending the game with low health or sanity start the next game with a "Deep scars" or "Deep trauma" condition. Which doesn't have a roll to get rid of during the game, though a few of the flip sides may have some sort of "I got over it, discard this card" effect.
• The possibility for destroyed cities to recover. The SF earthquake, for instance, took only a few years to rebuild from, and the city architects used the destruction to take what had been a rather haphazardly-grown city and turn it into something with an organized plan.
• I would like ongoing mythos cards that have long-term effects on the game. But it would be challenging getting something that doesn't stand out in the deck, letting you know what's coming. Related to that, some dark pacts or promises of power that affect the longer-term campaign would be nice, too, but again, I see no way to avoid knowing that you have one of the 'special' cards when you get it, simply by the appearance.

There's probably a few more things that could be added. But that's a starting point for me, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Dinneen
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Downtime
All starting possessions, conditions, skill improvements or spells listed on the back of an investigator’s card are not affected by the rules below.
A. Each investigator performs a Rest action.
B. For each Boon Condition a player would like to keep, they must either draw a random Bane Condition or advance Doom by 1.
C. For each Bane Condition a player would like to get rid of, they must advance Doom by 2.
D. For each Artifact donated to the Miskatonic Museum (i.e. discarded), retreat Doom by 1.
E. Players may keep 1 Asset, Unique Asset, Artifact or Spell. For every additional Asset, Unique Asset, Artifact or Spell the player would like to keep, advance Doom by 1. The rest are discarded to the appropriate decks.
F. If investigators defeated the Ancient One before flipping the Ancient One’s card, gain a Focus, Resource or Ticket Capacity.
G. If investigators lost to the Ancient One after flipping the Ancient One’s card, draw a Devastation card. If the card does not Devastate a City, shuffle the card into the deck and draw again.

[A] allows investigators to gain 1 Health/Sanity back in addition to rolling to get rid of injuries and other conditions one final time.
[B-E] modify the Doom track for the beginning of the next game.
[F-G] gives a bonus reward or additional consequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Skiba
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
• Carryover rules for each AO into the next game. Not just a blanket "IF win THEN xxxx, ELSE yyyy". But something that reflects the nature of the AO fought against. For instance, win or lose, after you face Cthulhu, any eldritch tokens around at the end of the game might carry over, but weaker. An investigator landing on one does the usual sanity hit and delayed, but removes the token. And not all of these have to be negative effects. For instance, for each Artifact "donated to a museum" (not returned the next game) at the end of the game, the next game starts with doom retreated by 1.
• Related to that, close losses shouldn't end the campaign, for most AOs. But should make the next game quite difficult. Major losses, or specific AOs (Azathoth in particular) should end the campaign there. I mean, you get nowhere against Cthulhu, and he rises from the waves... the Earth should be toast. But if you've solved three mysteries before the end of the game, he's effectively an extra starting rumor for the next game. This would split the difference between "losses only mean a minor difficulty next game" and "loss = you're done".

I think the issue with Eldritch tokens carrying over is that they are used for multiple things in the game and it might get confusing. I like the idea of having a token specific to campaign effects which would allow for some really interesting and creative things to happen based on how the campaign plays out. Some sort of 'Horror' token, maybe. This ultimately does add some complexity so I can see why some might not be into it. This is also why I initially suggested a set of two cards to differentiate end conditions based on losing/winning a campaign before/after the AO awakens.

Xelto wrote:

• Some carryover of character possessions and increase of character abilities, but not enough to unbalance future games. Starting possessions do not return if lost; the carryover will have to balance that. If some of that carryover is lost during the game (say, an impaired skill removes a carried-over skill improvement), it's permanently lost.
• Investigators ending the game with low health or sanity start the next game with a "Deep scars" or "Deep trauma" condition. Which doesn't have a roll to get rid of during the game, though a few of the flip sides may have some sort of "I got over it, discard this card" effect.

dumbdiety wrote:

All starting possessions, conditions, skill improvements or spells listed on the back of an investigator’s card are not affected by the rules below.
B. For each Boon Condition a player would like to keep, they must either draw a random Bane Condition or advance Doom by 1.
C. For each Bane Condition a player would like to get rid of, they must advance Doom by 2.
D. For each Artifact donated to the Miskatonic Museum (i.e. discarded), retreat Doom by 1.
E. Players may keep 1 Asset, Unique Asset, Artifact or Spell. For every additional Asset, Unique Asset, Artifact or Spell the player would like to keep, advance Doom by 1. The rest are discarded to the appropriate decks.
F. If investigators defeated the Ancient One before flipping the Ancient One’s card, gain a Focus, Resource or Ticket Capacity.
G. If investigators lost to the Ancient One after flipping the Ancient One’s card, draw a Devastation card. If the card does not Devastate a City, shuffle the card into the deck and draw again.

I think the most fair thing to do here is let the Investigators carry over exactly as they were in the previous scenario including all of their items/spells/improvements/impairments/etc. but healed to full health and sanity. Then apply any conditions from AO Epilogue card to those surviving investigators at the beginning of the next scenario. This way they are the same person from the last scenario to keep the feeling of continuity but they still suffer consequences for fighting against something that would realistically take a toll on you in a variety of ways. It also provides a lever to balance carried over investigators so that they don't get too out of control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumbdiety wrote:
Downtime

[A] allows investigators to gain 1 Health/Sanity back in addition to rolling to get rid of injuries and other conditions one final time.

I would be curious about balance, but these sound great. Adds no fiddliness during the game and lots of consequences at the end of each win/loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Skiba
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering, should defeated investigators remain on the board between scenarios or be wiped? I like it thematically but it seems like it might be a balance issue and add complexity to set up.

I think I might try out a few 'quick' games some time this week to tinker with ideas and get a feel for balancing between scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kathoolu wrote:
I'm wondering, should defeated investigators remain on the board between scenarios or be wiped?

Wiped. Eventually, they'll move from crippled to dead, or insane to beyond all memory of real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Skiba
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that makes sense. I think as much as possible any campaign rules should encourage the ability of players to keep a consistent roster of investigators anyway.

What would everybody think of rules to make investigator elimination a bit more lenient across a campaign? Maybe some way to rescue or save investigators, or some sort of chance to keep them alive if they do happen to perish? I believe, at least for my play group, I'd have a much easier time of pulling people into a six game long campaign of EH if it meant they could use that extra play time to develop and grow attached to a specific character or set of characters. For me that would give it much more of a 'campaign' like feel rather than just six separate games.

I believe it's still important that investigators can ultimately be permanently eliminated to create great story moments and keep the stakes high, maybe just have it be a little more forgiving.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might depend a lot on how many games are planning on being played and how many characters will be used at a time. I almost always play with 8-characters (solo) so they would potentially get used up a lot more quickly than someone who is running through with 2 or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Dinneen
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
kathoolu wrote:
I'm wondering, should defeated investigators remain on the board between scenarios or be wiped?

Wiped. Eventually, they'll move from crippled to dead, or insane to beyond all memory of real life.

Agreed. It would add more bookkeeping to track who was where and what they had and how they were removed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Dinneen
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kathoolu wrote:
Yes, that makes sense. I think as much as possible any campaign rules should encourage the ability of players to keep a consistent roster of investigators anyway.

What would everybody think of rules to make investigator elimination a bit more lenient across a campaign? Maybe some way to rescue or save investigators, or some sort of chance to keep them alive if they do happen to perish? I believe, at least for my play group, I'd have a much easier time of pulling people into a six game long campaign of EH if it meant they could use that extra play time to develop and grow attached to a specific character or set of characters. For me that would give it much more of a 'campaign' like feel rather than just six separate games.

I believe it's still important that investigators can ultimately be permanently eliminated to create great story moments and keep the stakes high, maybe just have it be a little more forgiving.

Thoughts?

But to me, that’s part of the fun of EH. The impossible odds of average people trying to stop an Ancient One. With 55 investigators now, even at 8players, everyone would have to die 6 times (with some left over) before humanity loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Dinneen
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign Set Up
1) Create a deck of Prelude cards that deal with the Ancient Ones (like the list in the rulebook). Put the Unto the Breach aside. Keep the other Prelude cards in a separate deck.
2) Separate Mythos cards according to color and difficulty (should have 9 decks).

Game Set Up (changes to normal set up)
1) Draw a card from the Ancient Ones Prelude deck. This is the Ancient One you will be facing this game. Follow set up as printed on the card.
2) Draw an additional Prelude card from the non-Ancient Ones deck. Follow set up as printed on the card. For game 7, use the Unto the Breach Prelude.
3) When building the Mythos deck, do so according to the following chart:
Game 1: Green - Easy Yellow - Easy Blue - Easy
Game 2: Green - Normal Yellow - Easy Blue - Easy
Game 3: Green - Normal Yellow - Normal Blue - Easy
Game 4: Green - Normal Yellow - Normal Blue - Normal
Game 5: Green - Hard Yellow - Normal Blue - Normal
Game 6: Green - Hard Yellow - Hard Blue - Normal
Game 7: Green - Hard Yellow - Hard Blue - Hard

Downtime (complete these steps after each game is complete)
All starting possessions, conditions, skill improvements or spells listed on the back of an investigator’s card are not affected by the rules below. All conditions are kept between games with the exceptions noted below.
E. Players may keep [x] Asset, Unique Asset, Artifact or Spell cards. [x] is equal to the game number in the campaign. For every additional Asset, Unique Asset, Artifact or Spell card the player would like to keep, advance Doom by 1. The rest are discarded to the appropriate decks.

The Mythos deck scales with the campaign. I changed rule E above so you can keep more cards to offset the difficulty increase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Skiba
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumbdiety wrote:

This seems a little awkward to me, you're being punished for doing better in the scenario. Shouldn't this happen if you lose before flipping the AO instead of after?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Dinneen
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kathoolu wrote:
dumbdiety wrote:

This seems a little awkward to me, you're being punished for doing better in the scenario. Shouldn't this happen if you lose before flipping the AO instead of after?

I don't understand. Flipping the Ancient One means the Doom track reached 0 and the Ancient One awoke. Losing during this time and drawing the Devastation card represents the havok caused by the Ancient One before disappearing again (who knows the reasons Ancient Ones do the things they do...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Dinneen
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook is up here: Campaign Mode

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.