Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Widows of Gloomhaven rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J H
msg tools
The subject/title is my suggestion for the support group my wife and the wives of my friends are probably going to form. Since I got GH, my regular gaming group has played nothing else. We're running two parties, one world, with my teenage son and I as the nucleus of one party (CH and MT) and myself and two friends forming the other party (BT, SW, and SC).

We're about ten sessions total in, and while there are certain aspects we don't completely agree with, we're resisting the temptation to house-rule anything, since we've barely scratched the surface of what the game has to offer. The prohibition on characters trading/selling items between themselves bothers us a little, but we're staying RAW until we get deeper in.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'm also running two campaigns, but my husband is in both with me, so no need for any support groups in our household!

Also, I would suggest just relaxing on the rules if there's something you don't really care for. We've done that on a couple things and as long as it's nothing significant, the only result will be that you'll enjoy the game even more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wives had to compete with mens hobby's since the day marriage was invented, they'll be fine, they're stronger than they look.

Your other game collection, on the other hand. THOSE need more love now that Gloomhaven is out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Gorlami76 wrote:
The subject/title is my suggestion for the support group my wife and the wives of my friends are probably going to form. Since I got GH, my regular gaming group has played nothing else. We're running two parties, one world, with my teenage son and I as the nucleus of one party (CH and MT) and myself and two friends forming the other party (BT, SW, and SC).

We're about ten sessions total in, and while there are certain aspects we don't completely agree with, we're resisting the temptation to house-rule anything, since we've barely scratched the surface of what the game has to offer. The prohibition on characters trading/selling items between themselves bothers us a little, but we're staying RAW until we get deeper in.


Play with your wife?

My fiance and I are the main party while the rest of our friends are the second party.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ames
United States
New Glarus
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is happy with our Gloomhaven group because it's become a play date for the kids and husbands. So the wives (not at the host house) are free to have the day off for their own hobbies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my wife, her friend and I are our Gloomhaven Party ... so its our friend's husband who gets the free time as he isn't one for board games

If anything its our other games that we also enjoy playing that are getting neglected ...

My wife hugely loves anything Pandemic ... and we just ordered both Pandemic Legacy Seasons 1 and 2 ... so hopefully that hasn't completely bumped Gloomhaven from our table for the next little while (I may have to riot)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nungunz wrote:
Play with your wife?


Ah, if only it were that easy. I've offered several times to play this with my wife, and her response is, "You know I don't like games where you pretend to be someone who fights monsters." No amount of explaining to her that this one is not like those other ones seems to have any effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
nungunz wrote:
Play with your wife?


Ah, if only it were that easy. I've offered several times to play this with my wife, and her response is, "You know I don't like games where you pretend to be someone who fights monsters." No amount of explaining to her that this one is not like those other ones seems to have any effect.


She prefers games where you literally fight monsters, and don't just pretend?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
nungunz wrote:
Play with your wife?


Ah, if only it were that easy. I've offered several times to play this with my wife, and her response is, "You know I don't like games where you pretend to be someone who fights monsters." No amount of explaining to her that this one is not like those other ones seems to have any effect.


I would never be able to get my wife to play games like Gloomhaven or Descent… until I tried with Mice & Mystics. I couldn’t believe it, but the cute mouse figures against bugs and stuff with a great fairytale type story was what it took. We played through it and both expansions. It’s not my favorite dungeon crawl, but it was a heck of a good time getting to play it with my wife and she really enjoyed it. We are going to play through Stuffed Fables when I get done painting.

Anywhoo, you could consider those options if you ever want to bring your wife into that sort of game. It scratches a similar itch for me.

I’m pretty sure if Gloomhaven was called Mousehaven, and it was the M&M characters against frog, lizard, rat minions, she would play it and love it. Lol Theming is a huge limitation for her. While she loves Harry Potter, likes Lord of the Rings, she still doesn’t want to be some creature or wizard that fights against all kinds of monsters and evil creatures. Mice and Stuffed animals against roaches and bad toys works though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a good spot, Gloomhaven is my wifes' most favourite boardgame at this point.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IvanAtom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gloomhaven - first game my wife is playing. Despite my best efforts she refused to play board games before. But when I start unpacking this humongous box of fun, she got so tempted.

By the way, talking about "rules complexity". First time board gamer - she was able to "get into the game" easily.

It's such delight to hear "can we play next scenario tonight?".

Thank you, Thank you Gloomhaven!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sirron Young
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the thread title should've been "How many marriages Gloomhaven may have strengthened." lol.

Ivanatom wrote:
Gloomhaven - first game my wife is playing. Despite my best efforts she refused to play board games before. But when I start unpacking this humongous box of fun, she got so tempted.

By the way, talking about "rules complexity". First time board gamer - she was able to "get into the game" easily.

It's such delight to hear "can we play next scenario tonight?".

Thank you, Thank you Gloomhaven!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spider Bacon
msg tools
It's give and take for me.

My wife is our Cragheart. Which is awesome.

But she can only mentally stick with it for a couple hours. So we get maybe one scenario done, but more often we need two sessions to finish one.

She's got this big dichotomy going on where she wants to play with us and says it's good to have fun time with us, but she is also concerned she's slowing us down. Even though she really is slowing us down I tell her that's okay since we really do enjoy having her along.

So the upshot is that she's not widowed, but she is turning GH into an even longer burn than it would be otherwise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.