Shush Ruth
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any building resource.

https://alavigne.net/Gaming/Agricola/agricola-comp-v9.0.html...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
So what's the question? Seems pretty self-explanatory and confusion-free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP deleted OP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shruthless wrote:

My original question disappeared. I was confused as the card says "taken directly from an action space". Reed, stone, food is not taken from the action space, but taken from the supply. So I thought it might mean only resources which physically can be taken from an action space. But it seems it means any resources which are taken by activating an action space, rather than taken physically 'from' an action space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
duckworp wrote:
shruthless wrote:

My original question disappeared. I was confused as the card says "taken directly from an action space". Reed, stone, food is not taken from the action space, but taken from the supply. So I thought it might mean only resources which physically can be taken from an action space. But it seems it means any resources which are taken by activating an action space, rather than taken physically 'from' an action space.

Note, though, that "taken directly from an action space" is not part of the card text. The conditional requirement is "types of building resources that have not yet been taken this Work phase." Now that I think about it, this raises a further question: does it mean resources taken from an action space that has not yet been used, or does it mean taking resources that have not been taken by any player in the work phase so far? Thus, if someone has taken, say, the 3Wood, does this mean Opportunist no longer applies to an as yet untaken 2Wood? Likewise with the Quarries (accumulating stone) and RSf (or any other space that might yield stone)?

Personally, I would rule the former, otherwise the utility of the card is rendered negligible, which I doubt was the intent of the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
duckworp wrote:
shruthless wrote:

Note, though, that "taken directly from an action space" is not part of the card text. The conditional requirement is "types of building resources that have not yet been taken this Work phase." Now that I think about it, this raises a further question: does it mean resources taken from an action space that has not yet been used, or does it mean taking resources that have not been taken by any player in the work phase so far? Thus, if someone has taken, say, the 3Wood, does this mean Opportunist no longer applies to an as yet untaken 2Wood? Likewise with the Quarries (accumulating stone) and RSf (or any other space that might yield stone)?

Personally, I would rule the former, otherwise the utility of the card is rendered negligible, which I doubt was the intent of the designer.

I'm more confused now as I don’t know what you are referring to in 'the former' case. This is how we ended up playing it: if in this round resource x has been taken at any time physically from a work space, or resulting directly from the action of a work space (eg reed/stone/food), then the Opportunist cannot be used to take an extra resource of resource x.

So for example if any player took the reed, stone, food action in this round, then I could NOT use the Opportunist to take an extra stone or reed from a stone or reed accumulation space. Or if any player took the wood from the 3 wood space in this round then I could NOT use the Opportunist to take an extra wood from the 2 wood space.

Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckworp wrote:
MisterG wrote:
duckworp wrote:
shruthless wrote:

I'm more confused now as I don’t know what you are referring to in 'the former' case. This is how we ended up playing it: if resource x has been taken at any time physically from a work space, or resulting directly from the action of a work space (eg reed/stone/food), then the Opportunist cannot be used to take an extra resource of resource x.

So for example if any player took the reed, stone, food action, then I could not use the Opportunist to take an extra stone from a stone accumulation space. Or if you took all the wood from the 3 wood space I could not use the Opportunist to take an extra wood from the 2 wood space.

Is that right?

That is how I would interpret it. The “former” case in MisterG’s example doesn’t make any sense to me. Action spaces that haven’t been used are (generally) the only actions you can take, so if his former interpretation were true that would be a meaningless distinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
duckworp wrote:
MisterG wrote:
duckworp wrote:
shruthless wrote:

I'm more confused now as I don’t know what you are referring to in 'the former' case. This is how we ended up playing it: if resource x has been taken at any time physically from a work space, or resulting directly from the action of a work space (eg reed/stone/food), then the Opportunist cannot be used to take an extra resource of resource x.

So for example if any player took the reed, stone, food action, then I could not use the Opportunist to take an extra stone from a stone accumulation space. Or if you took all the wood from the 3 wood space I could not use the Opportunist to take an extra wood from the 2 wood space.

Is that right?

That is how I would interpret it. The “former” case in MisterG’s example doesn’t make any sense to me. Action spaces that haven’t been used are (generally) the only actions you can take, so if his former interpretation were true that would be a meaningless distinction.

Apologies, gentlemen, I was unnecessarily obtuse. By "former" I meant when the owner of Opportunist has not taken a given resource so far that Round, as opposed to any player having taken it, which is the interpretation you both are favoring. Again, I suspect the designer of the card intended the first possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
grant5 wrote:
duckworp wrote:
MisterG wrote:
duckworp wrote:
shruthless wrote:

Is that right?

Apologies, gentlemen, I was unnecessarily obtuse. By "former" I meant when the owner of Opportunist has not taken a given resource so far that Round, as opposed to any player having taken it, which is the interpretation you both are favoring. Again, I suspect the designer of the card intended the first possibility.

Oh, ok, what you're suggesting makes more sense now, but I still favor the latter interpretation, otherwise I think the card would say "types of building resources that YOU have not yet been taken this Work phase."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
This discussion made me curious about the card.

According to at least some data sets at Play-Agricola, Opportunist is not only the worst G-Deck occupation, but one of the worst cards of any published deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
cjfoster wrote:
This discussion made me curious about the card.

According to at least some data sets at Play-Agricola, Opportunist is not only the worst G-Deck occupation, but one of the worst cards of any published deck.

Hmm. That would indicate to me that the 2nd interpretation is the "official" one. Bummer. No wonder the card rates so lousy.

P.S. Hi, Chris!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
MisterG wrote:
Hmm. That would indicate to me that the 2nd interpretation is the "official" one. Bummer. No wonder the card rates so lousy.

That's what I was thinking.

MisterG wrote:
P.S. Hi, Chris!

Hey! Less busy with school now, more time for gaming, so here I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.