BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need help finding an engine building dice game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Looby Lou
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My partners birthday is coming up soon and I want to buy a game which involves dice. She loves CV, Apocolapse Chaos and Istanbul The Dice Game.

She likes being able to swap, re-roll and manage dice, as well building an engine.

It must play well at 2 players (not necessarily a 2 player game though)

Can you good folk recommend a game that fits the bill?
Any suggestions are much appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy: Does exactly what you are looking for and plays pretty well at 2 although I prefer higher counts.

Other options would be Machi Koro (easier, maybe too easy) and The Castles of Burgundy which plays really well at 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Steampunk Rally. There's not a ton of player interaction, so it plays fine at any count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dice Forge (I haven't played it but it got some decent reviews) and you get to craft your own dice.

Villages of Valeria
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discoveries: The Journals of Lewis and Clark might have some of what you are looking for.

Roll Player has dice drafting, swapping and manipulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
Discoveries: The Journals of Lewis and Clark might have some of what you are looking for.

Roll Player has dice drafting, swapping, rerolling and manipulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
East Longmeadow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also came to say Roll for the Galaxy. Seems to fit your bill perfectly. Only issue with the game (IMO) is that it allows for very easy cheating, easier than I've ever seen before (rolling and assigning dice behind a screen). Requires absolute trust in your opponents integrity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Favor of the Pharaoh or Colony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Loobylou wrote:
My partners birthday is coming up soon and I want to buy a game which involves dice. She loves CV, Apocolapse Chaos and Istanbul The Dice Game.

She likes being able to swap, re-roll and manage dice, as well building an engine.

It must play well at 2 players (not necessarily a 2 player game though)

Can you good folk recommend a game that fits the bill?
Any suggestions are much appreciated

Take a look at
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
A "Dice Civ-Builder".
It's my favorite dice game in the "swap/re-roll/manage dice" category. Plays great 2-players (although up to 4). You built up your little civilization using wooden dice, and keeping track of resources using wooden pegboards - I love the "old-world" feel to the components.

"Engine"-wise, it does feel as you go through the game like you are ramping up - for example, building new cities (which add dice, which lets you do progressively more each turn). Some of the "developments" work well together which have an engine-like feel.

Also there is a more involved expansion which is simply new rules and a new scorepad available directly from the publisher:
Roll Through the Ages: The Late Bronze Age

Also there is a "sequel" by the designer of Race for the Galaxy called
Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age
I have not played it, but might want to look at that too - might be a little more involved strategically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy doesn't allow you to re-roll dice though it does have other ways to mitigate randomness which sound more interesting to me (I've not played it but I'm a big fan of Race for the Galaxy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Orosz
United States
Wickliffe
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations: The Dice Game sounds perfect for you.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, Dice City, and VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game sound good for you as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Momo
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thefishman wrote:
I also came to say Roll for the Galaxy. Seems to fit your bill perfectly. Only issue with the game (IMO) is that it allows for very easy cheating, easier than I've ever seen before (rolling and assigning dice behind a screen). Requires absolute trust in your opponents integrity.

I don't associate with people I don't trust.

Serious question: what's the point in the screen, anyway? I mean, there really isn't any player interaction, so how important is it to keep your information hidden? I've only played it twice, now, so maybe some of you experienced players can shed some light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
KarpetRydOFunk wrote:
what's the point in the screen, anyway?

If you want to explore and develop and ship on your turn, you can only activate one of those options. You may activate Explore but still put dice under Develop and Ship. If no one else activates Develop or Ship then you can't do those actions. Seeing what other people are activating or spending their dice on would influence what action you choose to activate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnasche wrote:
KarpetRydOFunk wrote:

If you want to explore and develop and ship on your turn, you can only activate one of those options. You may activate Explore but still put dice under Develop and Ship. If no one else activates Develop or Ship then you can't do those actions. Seeing what other people are activating or spending their dice on would influence what action you choose to activate.

Indeed, and which die you may use to choose your action and whether you "reassign" any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Momo
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gnasche wrote:
KarpetRydOFunk wrote:

Oh, wow. Been playing this wrong then. I didn't realise each player may only activate one phase. That changes everything. Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favor of the Pharaoh
Dice Forge
Order of the Gilded Compass
Colony
King's Forge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
msg tools
mb
KarpetRydOFunk wrote:
gnasche wrote:
KarpetRydOFunk wrote:

Oh, wow. Been playing this wrong then. I didn't realise each player may only activate one phase. That changes everything. Thanks a lot!

Yeah it’s a really fun game and trying to predict what your opponents to so you maximize your dice roll is a big part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezequiel Vieira
Brazil
flag msg tools
cbrook29 wrote:
Dice Forge (I haven't played it but it got some decent reviews) and you get to craft your own dice.

Villages of Valeria

I think you wanted to say Valeria: Card Kingdoms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Roll for the Galaxy, but there's no re-rolling or swapping. It has a great engine building feel though, and it's all about managing your dice.

Another possibility is Tiny Epic Galaxies- roll dice, re-roll dice, assign dice, change dice and get more dice to roll as you level up. The engine building feel isn't too strong here, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vega
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding another recommendation for Roll for the Galaxy. My fiancee and I play it still every now and then and it meets everything you're looking for. The Ambition expansion added some fun new features as well like objectives and additional dice with dual roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.