Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Easy-ish to learn, strategic, 6p games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
flag msg tools
As usual, I come to you wonderful folk with my very specific needs...

Core criteria
- Plays well with 6 players
- Easy enough to learn (can teach a group of experienced gamers in ~15-20 mins, and most catch on soon into the first play
- Some semblance of strategy/competition - not just a filler
- Under 120 min for typical play time w/6
- Reasonably fast-paced/engaging

Secondary criteria
- Plays well with 2 players (not a requirement but this is actually a huge bonus)
- Bonus if it's 60 mins or less
- Some interaction (ie, not multiplayer solitaire)

In a nutshell: an 'easy to learn, difficult to master' game that can be as brainy as you want it to be, but picked up and enjoyed pretty quickly.

Similar to
I'm looking at Viticulture EE, but am a bit turned off by the luck factor. Recently played Scythe and in an odd way, this would actually fit the bill if it played with 6. Otherwise, games that have worked for us before:
- Medici
- Lords of Waterdeep (+ 6p expansion)
- Between Two Cities
- Colt Express
- 7 Wonders
- Smallworld (+ 6p expansion)
- Mission: Red Planet

A bit more 'filler', but still good:
- Tsuro
- For Sale
- Coup/Resistance

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe + Invaders From Afar plays with 6, but takes ages. In my opinion Scythe just starts to drag too much after 5. It might be worth looking into Tuscany EE since you already have Viticulture. It might "fix" whatever you're finding wrong with Viticulture. I certainly wouldn't play Viti since I own Tuscany.

One option is Acquire. Extremely easy to learn, plays in about 70 minutes even with higher counts (at least in my group) and the depth to the game is enormous.

Edit: Acquire does not play with 2. I still recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game that plays well with 2 and 6 is not that easy to find. The one I know well is Keyflower but that will violate some of your other criteria (such as game length which will just be about 2 hrs with 6 and it is more complex than your other games).

Alhambra could work. Not a ton of interaction, though.
Acquire would be a possibility although not really a 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
East Longmeadow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alhambra is a very long game at 6p for it's depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be turned off by the luck factor. As BG notes, get Tuscany. Any perceived luck factor is easily overcome by the opening of new strategies. I do not feel it is heavily dependent on luck. It also scales really, really well.

But less than two hours, playing 6, and somewhat deep? I think you are dreaming there, unless you are all brisk players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sum zero
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
francis drake w/ expansion maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avi Weinstein
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Ditto to Acquire and trying out Tuscany.

If you aren't turned off by real-time: Captain Sonar (though it admittedly doesn't do 2p well)

Sushi Go Party! is a little light from what you seem used to but it always fun. It does 2p better than expected.

In general, when I have questions like this, I go to probably my most frequently-visited geeklist: How Many Players? Play This..... (2017 Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Xookliba wrote:
Don't be turned off by the luck factor. As BG notes, get Tuscany. Any perceived luck factor is easily overcome by the opening of new strategies. I do not feel it is heavily dependent on luck. It also scales really, really well.

But less than two hours, playing 6, and somewhat deep? I think you are dreaming there, unless you are all brisk players.

I mean, I listed 7 games that fit the criteria just off the top of my head. They're out there, but I agree that you're typically sacrificing some part of my overall criteria.

Thanks for the back-up with Viticulture. I'll likely give it a go as this is another positive review with the luck thing, to add to the pile. And adding Tuscany is admittedly something I haven't looked into yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:
Alhambra is a very long game at 6p for it's depth.

In our rounds player count had not much influence on play time. Game ends when all 54 tiles have been sold. That number is always the same regardless of player number. It takes a bit longer for everyone to accumulate the required amount of money but that adds not that much to play time.

Agree, though, that it is not a really complex game. But it would fit with the other games of the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest checking out Antike II. I have only played its 2-player counterpart (Antike Duellum) but from what I have read in the forums, Antike II looks like it would fit what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best games that fits your criteria and scales incredibly well is: ETHNOS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Australia
North Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always find this list useful for these situations:

The best games sorted by algorithm by game length as well as recommended player numbers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.