Popular Tags: [View All]
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Master of none
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm struggling with this game. I so want to like it and I feel like there's a great game in there somewhere, but I keep getting hung up every time I try to play. Right now, my problem is with the exert tokens.

So I understand that if you roll an exert die and you have fulfilled the exert bonus on the card by using an action that matches the symbol in the upper left corner of the card, then you can change that "exert" to a "success" and select the appropriate success you want. So, what if I don't have an exert bonus? I think that I have to discard a card from the player's deck, right? But, if I'm playing with an ally, then they get a stress token or do they get an exert token? When do I use the exert tokens? Are there instances later in the game that call for the exert tokens to be used and I'm just not there yet?

In summary, (and for my own clarity), if I roll a focus and can't change it to a success, then I get a focus token. But if I roll an exert and can't change it to a success, then I don't get an exert token; I just lose a card?

Thanks for your patience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you roll an exert symbol on a type of action (attack, coordinate, interact) that doesn't match the exert bonus then that die does nothing.

It doesn't affect your ally either.

I've only played "Scavenging Run" so maybe there's something later on but from what I understand Exert tokens are really just "damage" tokens for Allies. If they get 3 they die and you lose the game. You can heal to discard Exert tokens from Allies.

EDIT: clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Lempäälä
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If an ally "exerts" they gain an exert token. If an Ally ever has 3 exert-tokens they die and you lose the game.

If you exert your own character without the exert bonus you "exert", so you discard a card from hand. This permanently decreases your hand size!
Again, if you can't play a card on your turn or can't draw cards you lose. Also, this obviously lessens your choices during a turn.

if you roll an exert you don't lose anything. It's just that you have a chance to convert it into a success by exerting, but this is optional
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that it would have been clearer and more consistent if allies had 3 exert tokens to start with and lose them instead of gaining them when exerting.
This way, it would work exactly like exerting characters cards but with allies tokens instead.
When you don't have any card/token left, the survivor is dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimoNator85 wrote:
If an ally "exerts" they gain an exert token. If an Ally ever has 3 exert-tokens they die and you lose the game.

If you exert your own character without the exert bonus you "exert", so you discard a card from hand. This permanently decreases your hand size!
Again, if you can't play a card on your turn or can't draw cards you lose. Also, this obviously lessens your choices during a turn.

if you roll an exert you don't lose anything. It's just that you have a chance to convert it into a success by exerting, but this is optional

Just to add that you can also Exert the top card of your unused card pile so you don't necessarily need to decrease your hand size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Master of none
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, thank you all for the comments. It's starting to be clearer in my mind. ( When exerts are rolled, sometimes nothing happens; they're just ignored.) But how are the characters and allies exerted? I think it's where you're supposed to do something like eat food and you don't have any food, but are there other cases?

Also, so when a character is supposed to exert, they lose a card and when an ally is supposed to exert, they get a token. Do characters ever get exert tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Lempäälä
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, characters never get exert tokens.

Many times exert is because off events. Other one is if you want to move out of a space that has a walker in it. Those are from the top of my head, but obviously some peril (or is it fear? the skull on the black die) effects on cards might also cause it I think.

Anyway, it's usually clearly stated, but the movement is easier to forget I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Master of none
mbmbmbmbmb
TimoNator85 wrote:
No, characters never get exert tokens.

Ok. That makes things MUCH more understandable. Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Master of none
mbmbmbmbmb
TimoNator85 wrote:
Other one is if you want to move out of a space that has a walker in it.

So when you're in a space with a walker, you take an exert penalty (one per walker) and then that walker is knocked down. Is it defeated when it's knocked down or does it get up again at the next ready walker step? Is it only defeated when it says so on a card?

Also, when I'm in a space with a walker, do I choose to use an exert penalty to move or to fight? What would be the advantage of just leaving instead of knocking it down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To leave a space you suffer an exert for each walker in that space but nobody said they get knocked down.

To knock them down you typically need to use an action like grapple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Santos
Portugal
S. Domingos Rana
Cascais
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Characters: if exert symbol in the card you played equals the action you're taking (eg coordinate) you can change the die to a success, if it's not equal then you can exert.

Exert for characters : discard a card from hand or Top card from your survivor deck.

Allies: if exert symbol on die you can get an exert token to change it to a sucess. 3 exert tokens and you lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Master of none
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
To leave a space you suffer an exert for each walker in that space but nobody said they get knocked down.

To knock them down you typically need to use an action like grapple.

I'm looking at page 7. Under "Overrun: Survivor: The Survivor must Exert X, with X equal to the number of ready Walkers in his/her Space. Then, knock down each Walker in the activated Space. If multiple Survivors are in a Space during an Overrun, the players may choose to divide the Exert effect between the Survivors in that Space as they see fit."

What does this mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Lempäälä
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you are looking under a different section. That is what happens during walker activation. If you have ready walkers in your space when they activate, then you get exert x and they are all knocked down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Master of none
mbmbmbmbmb
Nunesh wrote:

Allies: if exert symbol on die you can get an exert token to change it to a sucess. 3 exert tokens and you lose.

Hi, Nunesh
This is really helpful. So, since Allies can't take the Exert bonus, then the only way they can turn an exert die to a success, is to take an exert token. Once they've taken 3 tokens, then it's game over.

This is making so much more sense to me now. Thank you all for helping. I don't know why I'm having such a difficult time with this game. I've read the rules; I've watched videos (not that there are that many). I learned Dawn of the Zeds (3rd ed) much more quickly and easily, but then there was so much information included with that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Master of none
mbmbmbmbmb
TimoNator85 wrote:
you are looking under a different section. That is what happens during walker activation. If you have ready walkers in your space when they activate, then you get exert x and they are all knocked down.

Oh, okay. So during your action/maneuver phase, you'd really want to exert to get out of the space with a walker because if you don't, you'll have to exert anyway during the walker activation. Anytime a walker gets into your space, you're going to exert one way or the other, right?

But still, they aren't dead when they're knocked down during walker activation? Is it just like the "knock them down when they've been moved so you can tell which ones have been moved, then stand them all back up"? Is it that kind of knocked down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Lempäälä
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, knocked down can be thought of the same. Basically if they're knocked down, they just stand up at the end of their activation and don't do anything else. Note that the walkers moving into your area doesn't do anything bad to you yet. (other than adding black dice to your possible next action roll)

But basically knocking a walker down is better than running away and exerting, because trying to kill/knock down might not exert you. Of course, sometimes you just NEED to get someplace and it might make sense to just exert. It's easy to run from a single walker and it's pretty easy to calculate how they're going to move, but hordes are bad and watch your threat-level!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Santos
Portugal
S. Domingos Rana
Cascais
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ginalaurie wrote:
[q="TimoNator85"]you are looking under a different section. That is what happens during walker activation. If you have ready walkers in your space when they activate, then you get exert x and they are all knocked down.

Yes

Quote:

Oh, okay. So during your action/maneuver phase, you'd really want to exert to get out of the space with a walker because if you don't, you'll have to exert anyway during the walker activation. Anytime a walker gets into your space, you're going to exert one way or the other, right?

Unless you or another survivor/ally knocks them down or defeat them before they activate!

Quote:

But still, they aren't dead when they're knocked down during walker activation?

Yes, just knocked down, they will get up in the walker phase 4.3 ready walkers. Knocked down walkers dont do anything to you or allies or strangers.

You have to defeat them to send them to the reserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Master of none
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, guys. I've been taking notes on all this and I'm ready to give it another try. Thanks for all your comments...and patience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Molloy
msg tools
Just in regards to one of the earlier comments, I'm pretty sure when exerting you don't lose a card from your hand size permanently. You either can choose a card from your hand to exert or the top card of your survivor deck. There is no maximum hand size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas83 wrote:
Just in regards to one of the earlier comments, I'm pretty sure when exerting you don't lose a card from your hand size permanently. You either can choose a card from your hand to exert or the top card of your survivor deck. There is no maximum hand size.

Discarding (exerting) from your hand effectively reduces your hand size permanently, unless there is a rule that states you can draw a card immediately after to replenish (don’t recall that).

Also, I think there’s some mistakes in the above posts. When rolling action dice you can always turn an exert result into a success, but you must exert 1 (discard 1 card from deck or hand, or if an ally, take an exert token as long as it doesn’t kill you), per die that you convert. The matching symbol benefit simply makes this conversion free, i.e. exert dice results can be converted to successes without paying the exert 1 costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To summarize:

-"Exert": basically means "get a wound" in other games (but for thematic reason, that can't be a wound, because any scratch from a zed means death). It is far easier if you think about it that way.
-Characters exert by discarding a card from their hand OR from the top of their deck. If they run out of cards to play or draw, they lose consciousness, they die. Game over.
-Allies exert by taking one exert token. If they have 3 tokens, they die. Game over.

-When you roll an exert symbol on he dice, you can change it into a success for free if the exert symbol on your active player card match your current action. Otherwise, you can choose to exert 1 to turn one exert symbol into a success.

-You exert 1 for each standing zombie on the square you're leaving (they take a bite).

-During the zombie phase, each standing zombie on your square make you exert 1 (consequence of their attack). Then you knock down those zombies to remember you already activated them. All zombies stand up at the end of that phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Master of none
mbmbmbmbmb
Archange227 wrote:
To summarize:

-"Exert": basically means "get a wound" in other games (but for thematic reason, that can't be a wound, because any scratch from a zed means death). It is far easier if you think about it that way.
-Characters exert by discarding a card from their hand OR from the top of their deck. If they run out of cards to play or draw, they lose consciousness, they die. Game over.
-Allies exert by taking one exert token. If they have 3 tokens, they die. Game over.

-When you roll an exert symbol on he dice, you can change it into a success for free if the exert symbol on your active player card match your current action. Otherwise, you can choose to exert 1 to turn one exert symbol into a success.

-You exert 1 for each standing zombie on the square you're leaving (they take a bite).

-During the zombie phase, each standing zombie on your square make you exert 1 (consequence of their attack). Then you knock down those zombies to remember you already activated them. All zombies stand up at the end of that phase.

Thank you, Archange227. I'm going to print that out. They should have had you write this rulebook What were they thinkingshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A summary of that quality for the stress tokens and for the trust tokens and we are good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Archange227 wrote:

Since getting bitten is ... not ideal, I like to think that the exert is the effort taken by the survivor to not get bitten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:

Since getting bitten is ... not ideal, I like to think that the exert is the effort taken by the survivor to not get bitten.

Sure, it's an exhaustion/fatigue mechanic.
In fact, this is a quite clever mechanic. The rulebook is just not so good. I had a hard time figuring out everything at the beginning. Once I understood how the game plays, I was really pleased with the clever design.

Quote:
A summary of that quality for the stress tokens and for the trust tokens and we are good to go.

To introduce those, it's better to start from

the planning phase.
-Each survivor draw one survivor card and add it to his hand.
-Then the survivor draws two event card. He discards one and apply its neglect part (bottom part). Then he places the other card on the event space. It serves two purposes: 1-It gives the general "Approach" the leader imposes to the group (green/yellow or red approach). 2-It gives a special possibility to players (and if no-one use this possibility during the turn, the leader will get 1 stress during the event phase).

The player card:
During his activation, the survivor plays one player card from his hand it becomes his "active player card" for this round. It has 4 purposes:
1-It determines if the player is defiant against the leader or not.
->If the leader plays a different color from the active event card, he loses 1 trust token.
->If another player plays a different color from the active event card, the leader gets 1 stress token.
->If an ally plays a action ont its board that doesn't match his controlling survivor approach (active player card), he spends one trust token.
2-It gives a bonus for some actions: when you throw the dice during an action, you can freely exchange exert symbols on the dice for successes if your action matches the one in he upper left corner of your active survivor card.
3-It usually gives you an alternative action to choose from. Sometimes, it only enhance some actions.
4-It determines your negative "fear" (skull) effect for this turn.

So, even if you don't always use the text of the card (because you often use basic actions), the card selection is important!

STRESS TOKENS
Stress tokens are a bad thing to have. The main way to get rid of them is the "hide" maneuver (if there's no walker in your space). You can get them in various situation (fear effect, events, when a gas walker enters your space, if you're the leader and someone defies you...)

Effect:
1-For each stress token you have, you will have to roll one black dice during your action roll each turn (remember you always add one black dice when there's a zombie in your space). Those black dice trigger your fear effect and increase the threat level. That can start snowballing rather fast.
2-If you would get one token when you already have 3 of them, you must resolve group tension instead.
3-If the leader has 3 stress tokens, he must pass the leader token at the end of the turn (ignore this rule when playing solo).

NOTE: for balance reasons, I suggest you to consider the action roll to be mandatory each turn.

TRUST TOKENS
Trust tokens are an important personal resource of the game. They represent your "Credibility level" for the group. Lose all credibility, and you may encounter some problems! You can easily get them with a basic Assist action.
-->You start with one trust token and can get up to five tokens. It is wise to always try to have at least one.

Uses:
-If you have no trust token, your survivor ability cannot be used.
-When a group tension triggers, all survivors (I include allies) can discard one trust token to avoid losing morale (if morale reaches 0, it's Game over).
-The leader uses them to not respect his own approach.
-The allies use them to not respect their controlling player approach.
-They allow you to ignore some bad effects with strangers for example.
-They are usefull for various event card and player card text.
-If you must discard one and you don't have any, you must resolve group tension.

==> I think I covered about everything but please tell me if I forgot something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.