Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tombonator
United States
charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for my wife and I, should we just start with the base game and then after a handful of games under our belt move to Tuscany? Or should we use some components from Tuscany to start, like the expanded board? I'm assuming the expanded board makes the base game board obsolete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not a bad idea to play the base game only a couple of times, just to get the feel of it. But yeah, for me at least, Tuscany made the base game obsolete. I'll never go back.

I think we played 3 times and honestly, I wished at the time we had stuck to twice and then made the move. It is night and day. But again, it depends on your tastes, and how much complexity you like in games. It adds some complexity. Some folks could jump right in to TEE, others may find it is simply too much. Only you know this, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started with the Tuscany board, but nothing else from the expansion(I think we might have even ignored the star map). It really is down to you and your wife's preferences. I know that my wife doesn't like to learn a bunch of rules all at once, so I usually start with the "basic version" first, if the game offers it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hover Harder
badge
You hoverin'?
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is unique from my perspective in that it is fun any way you play it. The base game is still a blast for me even after having played many games with some or all of the expansion content. The learning curve for the expansion content is very small, in my opinion, but I would recommend slowly adding each component one by one. Either separately or in addition to those previously played. In order of complexity, I would order the items as follows:

1. Tuscany board (Most complex)
2. Structure Cards
3. Special workers (Least complex)

I would also order them this way if I was ranking them based on the fun they add to the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most complex difference between the two games is how you select the start player and place the turn order tokens.

In V-EE each player is going to get a chance to place his start token on the board first. This is controlled by the counter-clockwise moving grape token.

Also, no one goes through the end-of-year steps until everyone has passed out of winter.

In T-EE each player's start token is placed as soon as they pass out of winter because they go through the end-of-year-steps at that point.

This means previously blocked winter placement spots can be cleared before you have to place some of your meeples potentially opening up scoring opportunities if you plan it right.

This also means that to get your choice of turn order for next year you have to pass out of winter as quickly as possible -- maybe even leaving some meeples unplaced this year so you can get the turn order spot you want for next year.

I find this end-of-year tension to be a really interesting part of the T-EE game. You could play V-EE with this same end-of-year / turn order selection if you wanted.

Other than that the differences are mundane. 4 seasons vs 2 seasons, the area-of-control star-map (which my least favorite part of Tuscany), and the structure cards (which are optional depending on which board side you pick).

I'm not one of these folks who think that T-EE makes V-EE "obsolete". I'll play either one. Usually I teach V-EE then move to T-EE later.

I might try the following...

1) V-EE with the T-EE end-of-year and start token rules.

2) T-EE with no star-map and no structures.

3) T-EE with no star-map.

4) T-EE with everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tombonator
United States
charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info guys, I guess we'll start with the base board first, and go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife & I fairly recently begain our Viticulture journey. We played several games with just V-EE & just now played our first game of T-EE with no structures, no special workers.

If you were talking about a group of seasoned gamers, like my regular group of gaming guys, I'd jump right in with full V-EE & T-EE. But unless your wife is a hardcore gamer (mine isn't) I'd just start with V-EE.

Edited to include this: now that I've played with the T-EE board, I don't think I'll ever want to go back to vanilla V-EE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm assuming the expanded board makes the base game board obsolete?"

Oh no, not at all! For experienced Viticulture players, they will almost certainly enjoy the Tuscany board more. But for new players I always recommend the standard board. It's easier to learn on, and it allows players to have that moment of feeling like the world just got a lot bigger when they someday play on the extended board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We pretty much started with Viticulture 2nd Ed, playtested some of the Tuscany Prima modules and now we play with what is basically Viticulture:EE. I've got at least 20 games at this level, and we're still not feeling the need to open up the Tuscany box to get the extended board out and learn how to use it.

So... it'll very much depend on your own playing style. If you think V:EE is OK but needs something else to make it better for you, then by all means, move on to Tuscany. But for some people (including us), the base V:EE is perfect as is, and we're not bored of it yet. We do know that Tuscany is there waiting, we just don't feel the need to go to it just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that there is a great game in the base game; I don't think there is any need to 'rush' into Tuscany. If you'll never go back to the base game, you might as well enjoy it as much as you can before relegating it to the cupboard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I started playing VEE and TEE this week and have clocked up 6 plays so far.

First of all what an amazing game!

We played two games on the VEE basic board just to learn the rules and mechanics of the game and using the mamas and papas cards straight away.

On the third play we used the TEE board and like others have said will never go back to the basic board. The transition was seamless with the extended board being intuitive but we were glad we played the basic board first to familiarise ourselves with the game.

We have yet to introduce the special workers and buildings but I think we will introduce them in our next game which I think is going to be in about 5 minutes time!

Can't get enough of this game at the mo, love the flow, the decisions, the artwork, components, length and weight of play. It's all good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gribbon wrote:
I have to agree that there is a great game in the base game; I don't think there is any need to 'rush' into Tuscany. If you'll never go back to the base game, you might as well enjoy it as much as you can before relegating it to the cupboard

exactly. Well phrased ;-)

Played T:EE once with 4, thoroughly disliked it. T:EE adds area control stuff in a mini map, adds lots of fluff and confusing rules and pieces, takes up far too much space, set-up and tear-down quadruples, it's a mess.

I can only recommend V:EE, it's called EE for a reason. You can play V:EE regularly for years to come and not get bored. V:EE "feels" (to me) more "rounded", like a unit. It's almost perfect. One argument is that it can be taught in 5 minutes, at least I can do it, and T:EE requires listening for 20 minutes to a guy explaining on and on.. Of course people are different, so YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We must be in the minority. My wife and I love the base board when it's just the 2 of us. We've played Tuscany several times at all player counts, and we prefer it when there are more players, but when it's just the 2 of us, we much prefer the base board.

There is a simple elegance to the base game that is overlooked sometimes because of the extra meat that is added by Tuscany. What we really like is that we can setup the game, grab our dinner, and play through it while eating and be done in about 45 minutes. When we add Tuscany, it adds to play time, so for a mid-week game, the base game is perfect for us.

That's not to say that we don't also really enjoy our 6 player games of Tuscany
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.