Hide
10 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How to mix in expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Wharton
msg tools
I've picked up the base game, plus Dunwich and the first two Dunwich Mythos packs. How should I mix the expansions - can I just throw everything into the mix? If I get Carcosa expansions can the new investigators, items, monsters etc all be mixed with the Dunwich stuff too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep scenario cards and encounter cards separate, and use them when prompted by the scenario you are playing at the time. All player cards should be mixed into one pool though (i.e. you don't have to be playing a Dunwich scenario to use any Dunwich player cards, they can all be used at any time and in any scenario, as long as you follow the deck building requirements on the investigator cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie_W wrote:
I've picked up the base game, plus Dunwich and the first two Dunwich Mythos packs. How should I mix the expansions - can I just throw everything into the mix? If I get Carcosa expansions can the new investigators, items, monsters etc all be mixed with the Dunwich stuff too?

There are two kinds of cards. For Player Cards, absolutely mix everything together, us any Investigator from any set, construct decks using all cards, limited only by the requirements of your specific Investigator.

For Scenario cards (which would include Monsters), you have to keep every card in its group, bringing them out and putting them exactly where the Scenario instructions tell you to.

Once you find Card 117, you are ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card 117... shake

On a related note, obviously you will want to mix together all your player cards but what about the "scenario specific" player cards? E.G., those mythos packs with player cards specific to that one adventure.

To avoid spoilers, let's just say I have the "Haunted Turkey Farm" mythos pack. It includes a "turkey hatchet" player card which gives you +1 damage against ghost turkeys. Do I still mix the hatchet into my player card collection for use in later scenarios, even though it's specific to just this one scenario?

Likewise with some of the special allies. If I need to recruit all three farmers to open the Turkey Farm gate, do I also mix those farmers afterwards into my player card collection?

Also, if they do get mixed in with all the player cards, how do I easily find them again when they are required for me to play their specific scenario? They aren't exactly marked with a big, "Required to play the Haunted Turkey Farm."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bragaglia
msg tools
Sounds like Diablo's Secret Cow Level...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Card 117... shake

On a related note, obviously you will want to mix together all your player cards but what about the "scenario specific" player cards? E.G., those mythos packs with player cards specific to that one adventure.

To avoid spoilers, let's just say I have the "Haunted Turkey Farm" mythos pack. It includes a "turkey hatchet" player card which gives you +1 damage against ghost turkeys. Do I still mix the hatchet into my player card collection for use in later scenarios, even though it's specific to just this one scenario?

Likewise with some of the special allies. If I need to recruit all three farmers to open the Turkey Farm gate, do I also mix those farmers afterwards into my player card collection?

Also, if they do get mixed in with all the player cards, how do I easily find them again when they are required for me to play their specific scenario? They aren't exactly marked with a big, "Required to play the Haunted Turkey Farm."

As with 117, you would have to look at either the number or the icon on the face of the card. All Haunted Turkey Farm cards, whether Player or Mythos or Location, should have an adorable demon turkey clearly present (again, look at 117 to see such a picture in the top right that true Player Cards don't have).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:

As with 117, you would have to look at either the number or the icon on the face of the card. All Haunted Turkey Farm cards, whether Player or Mythos or Location, should have an adorable demon turkey clearly present (again, look at 117 to see such a picture in the top right that true Player Cards don't have).

Bingo! Adorable demon turkey cards - regardless of type - stay with the mythos deck. I knew I was missing something obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Wharton
msg tools
‘My dreams were filled with abominable cyclopean turkey monuments’

Thanks guys!

I think I need some card dividers....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I think we have just beaten the Penguin-Fringed Abyss for best mythos location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kerkhoff
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's turkey hunting season!!!

Get as many of them as you can before you go insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.