Hide
13 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » Rules

Subject: Abbots in Cathedrals ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Grainger
msg tools
Can I place an Abbot in a Cathedral and if “yes” are the rules and scoring the same as if I placed it in a Garden ?

Thanks - couldn’t find an answer to this anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acbxgbr wrote:
Can I place an Abbot in a Cathedral and if “yes” are the rules and scoring the same as if I placed it in a Garden ?

I believe the answer is Yes and Yes.

Yes you can place an Abbot in a Cathedral

Oops if you mean Cathedrals not monasteries then I was mistaken.
And
Yes the scoring is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Waring
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
acbxgbr wrote:

I believe the answer is Yes and Yes.

Yes you can place an Abbot in a Cathedral
And
Yes the scoring is the same.

The Abbot can only be placed in a garden or a monastery. It can't be placed in a cathedral, assuming you meant the cathedral from the Inns and Cathedrals expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
acbxgbr wrote:

Cathedrals can't be claimed. They just boost the points for the cities they are in. No meeple can be placed on a Cathedral.

If you mean a monastery, then yes, they can be claimed and score exactly the same as any other meeple on a monastery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Grainger
msg tools
Just to clarify I mean Cathedrals from the Inns and Cathedrals expansion. There’s a discussion of Abbots in another thread on this site which says they can be placed in Cathedrals so there seem to be differing views.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
acbxgbr wrote:
Just to clarify I mean Cathedrals from the Inns and Cathedrals expansion. There’s a discussion of Abbots in another thread on this site which says they can be placed in Cathedrals so there seem to be differing views.

I repeat: Cathedrals can't be claimed. They just boost the points for the cities they are in. No meeple can be placed on a Cathedral. Abbots are a type of meeple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gough
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could that other thread be refering to the small Cathedrals in Germany expansion, which does allow meeples to be added as bishops? It all gets a bit confusing with two features with the same name (at least in English) that work very differently, particularly as 99% of people playing Carcassonne won't even be aware the of existence of Cathedrals in Germany to caveat their question correctly.

Back to Inns and Cathedrals... I don't know about Abbots (I'm old school), but to clarify the above points, a standard meeple can be placed on a cathedral tile, but it's just considered to be in the city: the meeple being on the cathedral tile doesn't modify its doubling effect in any way, and it's just another knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Grainger
msg tools
Here’s the thread. In the section on Abbots it says they can be put on Cathedrals.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/220454/every-carcassonne-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gough
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good find. Even though they don't say it there, I read that as refering to the German Cathedrals (see entry 43 in the same GeekList), which operate in a similar manner to the standard Cloister, in that you place a meeple on the feature and wait until things around it have been completed, rather than the far more common Cathedrals from Expansion 1, which only affect cities. I can't find a source for that interpretation, though.

The Carcassonne Annotated Rules makes no mention of an exception to the placement rules for Abbots on Inns and Cathedrals's Cathedrals. (It doesn't yet cover the German Cathedrals (not to be confused with the German Monasteries, which also features a different Abbotcry) so it doesn't help clarify for the other question.)

I think that it's fair to say that - unless you're playing with the German Cathedrals mini expansion - the Abbot is restricted to Cloisters and Gardens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J White
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
I repeat: Cathedrals can't be claimed. They just boost the points for the cities they are in. No meeple can be placed on a Cathedral. Abbots are a type of meeple.

I'm confused by this, which is directly contrary to the way I've seen things played. The Inns & Cathedrals set I have at hand is an old 2002 printing, and seems to directly contradict your statement (it says all existing rules apply to the new tiles and makes no exception about not being allowed to place followers; the bottom right picture specifically shows a meeple on a cathedral tile). I learned I & C from my copy of BB4, but don't have it available to consult. Can you clarify where your ruling comes from?

JJW-T.C.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjwhite103 wrote:
Whaleyland wrote:

I'm confused by this, which is directly contrary to the way I've seen things played. The Inns & Cathedrals set I have at hand is an old 2002 printing, and seems to directly contradict your statement (it says all existing rules apply to the new tiles and makes no exception about not being allowed to place followers; the bottom right picture specifically shows a meeple on a cathedral tile). I learned I & C from my copy of BB4, but don't have it available to consult. Can you clarify where your ruling comes from?

JJW-T.C.H.
Cathedrals from Inns and Cathedrals is a part of the city. Of course you can place a meeple on the Cathedral tile as a knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimond wrote:
jjwhite103 wrote:
Whaleyland wrote:

JJW-T.C.H.
Cathedrals from Inns and Cathedrals is a part of the city. Of course you can place a meeple on the Cathedral tile as a knight.

On the tile, yes, but not on the Cathedral itself. The Cathedral from I&C is a non-claimable element. It just serves as a multiplier (or negater if the city is incomplete). Of course you can claim the city. However, the Abbot cannot claim the city because an Abbot can only claim Monasteries (both original and "themed"), Shrines, Gardens, and German Cathedrals. Thus, since an Abbot can't claim a city and the Cathedral is a non-claimable feature, then the Abbot cannot claim anything on a Cathedral tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Grainger
msg tools
Thanks to all for the clarifications, think it’s clear now no Abbot in a non-German Cathedral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.