Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Much as already been said about the game so I will try to add to it here in a constructive way.

I’ll skip the rules and my opinion about the overall game because it either doesn’t matter or you can find them elsewhere. The core rules are the same, but if you're a veteran, read the whole rulebook anyway. You might find some differences.

Long story short, if you browse the Aeon’s End forums you already know me and what I think about Aeon’s End and the team that is behind the franchise.
Long story short, they're pure awesomeness.

Here goes!

How are the Legacy elements implemented?

You begin as a weak mage and are becoming stronger throughout the game, discovering your true potential along the journey. As you become stronger, so do the challenges you’ll have to face though.

In Aeon’s End : Legacy, you’re not the only thing that grows, and while the rules become increasingly complex and more and more things have to be kept track of, your foes keep on getting stronger and finding new tools to use against you.

This is done through a very clever use of the Legacy system, one that gives you more control over the system than you would think at first.

At the end of the campaign, the challenges you’ll face will repercuss the choices you have made during the campaign, in ways that I haven’t seen before in, say Pandemic Legacy Season 1 (the only other Legacy game I’ve played until now.)

I’m extremely pleased with how the campaign elements are implemented in the game and, without revealing too much, you’re given choices that have a huge impact in how you’ll apprehend the game and the challenges you’ll face. They’ll also dictate the pace of the game and the choices you’ll make in the future. These consequences will be lasting, giving Aeon’s End a real claim as a Legacy system.

For those it may concern, though, the game will never instruct you to destroy any component.

Is there a spiral of death?

There will be negative repercussions if you lose or if you win a game, but they won’t invalid choices or close paths down for you. You can always recover from a loss. It actually even can be beneficial as it lets you try things you wouldn’t have been able to try before, or take a step back.

With that said, there is no real way to come back from a poor upgrade path choice. The team has made very sure that nothing is underpowered though, so if you took a wrong turn, know that you can adapt to your decision by changing your gaming style. I made a poor choice in the game with one of my characters, but it didn’t make him useless or underpowered, he just took more time to set up in a way that I didn’t envision at first, and which was not shut off by his upgrade path either. And he truly became a key character.

You will have to learn to prepare for the evolving path and adapt yourself to that and as such, you will have more knowledge than in a regular game of Aeon’s End where the deck is somewhat randomized to the point where you more or less go blind.

So long story short, no spiral of death there.

Is Aeon's End: Legacy a good entry point to Aeon's End?

Given that your mage is stripped of a lot of things at the beginning of the campaign, you begin Aeon’s End Legacy with less choices than in a regular game of Aeon’s End : all the mages are the same, and there are not as many ways to spend aether on as in a regular game.

As such, I find Legacy to be an very good way for a new player to learn the rules of the game, and the different rules that are added do so progressively, never overwhelming the new player.

This, to me, makes Legacy a pretty decent choice as an entry point to the Aeon’s End system.

Replayability

It should be made clear that you cannot replay the campaign without a reset pack once you’re through with it, be it solo or with 4 players. Unless you want to print a lot of things and bookkeep a lot of other things.

However, once the campaign is over, you’ll find that you have a number of Nemeses at your disposal that is higher than in any other standalone Aeon’s End game, and a very impressive number of player cards to choose from and play with, allowing different strategies that have not been seen before in any other game from this line. And very pleasing ones, with that.

The only downside is that, aside from those you’ve created, Aeon’s End Legacy doesn’t come with any breach mage. You might find that pretty light if you don’t have any other Aeon’s End game.

The new Nemeses add never seen before mechanics that are complex and interesting, and play well outside of the Legacy system. They’re also very challenging. In terms of complexity, I’d rate the Legacy Nemeses above War Eternal. Good thing too, they all come with their Increased difficulty rules, so the more daring among us will find plenty of challenge there.

So, except for breach mages, Aeon’s End Legacy gives you more replayability than any other Aeon’s End standalone game before it.

As for the Legacy campaign itself, it took me 12 games to complete.

I'll also add that aside from starter cards, life dials and that kind of things you really need to play the game, everything in here is 100% new.

Will I like Aeon’s End Legacy if :

I like Aeon’s End and War Eternal ?
Obviously, yes. You’ll find the game nicely expands on previous ideas while implementing new and groundbreaking ones. The game will also add more complexity if that is your thing. If you found War Eternal too complex and too hard, though, you might not like Legacy.

I don’t like Legacy elements ?
You will not like the Legacy elements of the game, then. But you will enjoy the content the game offers once the campaign is over. I do believe it would be a shame to discard Aeon’s End : Legacy as a pure Legacy game, as it adds so much to the line once the Legacy elements are done. It is my personal conviction that the game offers more as a regular game, than as a Legacy game, too.

I don’t like co-operative games, or deckbuilding games ?
Obviously, no. Except if you don’t like luck-based deckbuilding games. The no-shuffling rule and fixed markets considerably reduce the luck factor in Aeon’s End : Legacy.

Did it need to be a Legacy game ?

I suppose Kevin could have gone the non-legacy path and have erasable components provided there. But there are several things that would simply not work with resetting the system, the way Dawn of Peacemakers promises you can.

There are too many things to keep track of that require you to alter components, that only the use of stickers and writing can easily provide. Not to mention that having durable components that can be written on and erased, would probably have prevented Aeon’s End: Legacy’s components to be backward compatible with previous Aeon’s End games.

It also wouldn’t work as a stand-alone since erasable and rewritable breach mages would mean no breach mage to play with for those that don’t own a previous Aeon’s End Game.

As such, I do think it was a perfectly reasonable choice to make Aeon's End: Legacy a Legacy game. For which the legacy campaign is but the beginning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it.
I hope these facts are enough to make you decide whether Aeon's End: Legacy is a game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks Raz, good write up!

How many character options are there? Not in a discrete sense, but how likely is it that out of 100 or 1000 (or whatever number) campaigns before we start seeing duplicate mages being created (at least mechanically)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One concern I may have is the character you create will be substantially stronger/weaker than base game characters. Do you feel this is a concern?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lakoda wrote:

How many character options are there? Not in a discrete sense, but how likely is it that out of 100 or 1000 (or whatever number) campaigns before we start seeing duplicate mages being created (at least mechanically)?

Thanks Lakoda.

There are so many options out there that it will be pretty unlikely that two mages are mechanically 100% the same. They might share some upgrages, but all of them, I think it's very unlikely. Especially if you play in a group of 4, in which you will not be able to take everything you might want, and you will have to spread the upgrades around. There are no duplicates in several upgrades.
Solo it might be easier to make the same choices as another solo player, but once again, all of them? That's unlikely.

As for characters that haven't been used, I've seen Kevin say you can use the remaining stickers to build them up from scratch, so these are more likely to share some similarities between different users.

Interestingly enough, one of my characters had an ability that ended up being extremely close to an already existing breach mage.

bigGameGeek wrote:
One concern I may have is the character you create will be substantially stronger/weaker than base game characters. Do you feel this is a concern?

There are rules post-campaign to ensure that your character is not significantly stronger than base game characters. You can choose to ignore them and thus play an easier game.
You will have to make choices at some points that ensure balance with current breach mages, too, whatever your choice ends up being.
This might be changed in the retail version, though, so I can't be 100% accurate with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Lakoda wrote:

The math works out to there being over 5000 (correction 500,000) different mags variations.

Mages being just one of the variables that make playing through the campaign different from one group to another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Worthington wrote:
Lakoda wrote:

The math works out to there being over 5000 different mags variations.

Mages being just one of the variables that make playing through the campaign different from one group to another.
Thanks for the numbers! I was thinking about what would happen if I brought my mage (post-campaign) to play with a friend (who completed the campaign separately) and what our overlap chances were. Or maybe even do a mage swap like people are doing with the boards from Charterstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
Lakoda wrote:

The math works out to there being over 5000 different mags variations.

Actually 500,000.

Even when we were trying to test certain new upgrades, we never ended up with the same mage twice. There are interesting options for every kind of strategy we could think of at every upgrade point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razoupaf wrote:
Interestingly enough, one of my characters had an ability that ended up being extremely close to an already existing breach mage.
I really want to ask which mage but that'd be spoilers. whistledevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lakoda wrote:
I really want to ask which mage but that'd be spoilers. whistledevil

I knew you would and mouth is sealed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great writeup.
Some questions about the mages:

1) Do you prefer playing with the final Legacy Mages or the normal mages? My opinion is that design wise WE mages are more "synergistic"/better than normal ones (not in term of powers). Has this trend continued?

2) Is there a way to bring normal mages on par to the Legacy ones (maybe by using upgrades on them, with a reset pack) instead of using post-campaign rules? Disregarding the fact that the game may be easier because someone might like an easier game with more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only concern is: how essential is the reset pack? What are the incentives to play the legacy part of the game again? Is it just to get the new mages or is it something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
My only concern is: how essential is the reset pack? What are the incentives to play the legacy part of the game again? Is it just to get the new mages or is it something else?

Honestly that question deserves it's on thread. Luckily Raz reads every post, so I'll make one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorlin wrote:
Great writeup.
Some questions about the mages:

1) Do you prefer playing with the final Legacy Mages or the normal mages? My opinion is that design wise WE mages are more "synergistic"/better than normal ones (not in term of powers). Has this trend continued?

2) Is there a way to bring normal mages on par to the Legacy ones (maybe by using upgrades on them, with a reset pack) instead of using post-campaign rules? Disregarding the fact that the game may be easier because someone might like an easier game with more variety.

Hey thanks

1) I prefer playing with already existing mage because I haven't figured them all out yet. I already know the ones I've created very well now. But with another player it would be very fun to play those mages again.
Since you build your mage from scratch it's up to you to make them synergistic or not. Mine weren't necessarily, but one of them was really synergistic. Another one was very one-directional. The last one was the mess of things I mentioned in the review ^^

2) Without altering them physically or house-ruling them that would be difficult.

Floating World wrote:

It is not essential unless you want to play the campaign again from what I've seen.
You would want to play the campaign again if you didn't glance at the outcomes you didn't get. I didn't so there are several things I haven't seen.
There is a built-in incentive to play the campaign again if you're into that, and it's a nice option that has been given to you that doesn't take anything from the game if don't want to try it. I'm personally not into it, but why not. I could see the appeal.
Then I didn't see anything pro or against it but I suppose you can try and tackle the campaign in Increased difficulty, or in Extinction difficulty. I'd actually love to try that (you might know that I'm currently under a solo marathon challenge and a "beat all the existing Nemeses on Extinction difficulty with a random market" challenge.)
There are a couple of reasons why I personally would want to play the campaign again and will:
- I could have done much better choices. I'm proud of how it went, and enjoyed playing my mages, but I didn't exploit some mechanics enough to my tastes and could have followed more optimal directions. Then again some abilities were changed by Kevin in the course of my playthrough
- I want to try a different player count. I intend to play two-handed (or two players if my SO wants to join) and solo. Possibly four players with my Pandemic Legacy group, too. I only ordered one reset pack yet though.
- I want to see outccomes I didn't get and didn't read to preserve the sense of discovery.

mynameisthis wrote:
Honestly that question deserves it's on thread. Luckily Raz reads every post, so I'll make one

I'll let the team answer that question and decide how borderline spoiler it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No new breach mage is a pretty big disappointment but I'm hopeful that we'll unlock one for Buried Secrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Homey_Christ wrote:
No new breach mage is a pretty big disappointment but I'm hopeful that we'll unlock one for Buried Secrets.

It is the biggest downside indeed, as I really love learning a new breach mage (focusing on Xaxos: Voidbringer ATM), but there are more than enough new cards to make up for it. Especially with the Buried Secrets one. The Crust is not just a fun comment section gimmick. Strong card surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
"Increased difficulty, or in Extinction difficulty. "

is there such a thing in AE:L?
I thought you were supposed to work 4 mages from baby through hero, buy a reset pack, and do the 4 again.

This would result in 2 similar but different mages for each version. Given that I only have AE:L and never heard of the thing before, and being stuck with 8 heroes, how can play continue?
I'm a bit nervous about paying for a game that is intrinsically capped at 12 games (with reset 24), and cannot play a 25th time.

The first 11 era nemeses would be boringly easy. How does increased diffi work? Is it something like in Diablo where you have less resistance or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Increased Difficulty is an additional rule each Nemesis has tht makes for a more difficult fight following the same set-up of the market and Nemesis deck.

For instance, Rageborne (from Aeon's End) loses 3 Fury tokens when he Strikes.
His increased difficulty rule is that he only loses 1 instead of 3, meaning he'll strike much more often.

Does that answer your question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
kosterix wrote:
I'm a bit nervous about paying for a game that is intrinsically capped at 12 games (with reset 24), and cannot play a 25th time.

The first 11 era nemeses would be boringly easy. How does increased diffi work? Is it something like in Diablo where you have less resistance or something?

First of all, Aeon's End: Legacy will be infinitely repayable after the campaign is complete (without reset packs). You would be facing the Nemeses individually, not as part of a campaign.

I'm not sure what you mean by "boringly easy" for the other Nemeses. Again, it wouldn't be campaign play, but the game as it exists now is already tons of fun and definitely not easy.

If Legacy/campaign is the only thing you're interested in, I guess these things won't satisfy you. You'll definitely be missing out on a lot of awesomeness, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm looking for an immersive story in 'big' games like these, and i don't care much about legacy (I find the whole ripping up thing atrocious), and if it has to be in campaign mode then so be it. Above and below also has story but it's incoherent.

"You would be facing the Nemeses individually, not as part of a campaign."
How are the nemeses scaled to hero level then after the campaign, are there good rules for it in the manual?
Because the first few nemeses will need a lot of buffing vs the last few nemeses, it wouldn't be sufficient to just have them take less damage.

Sorry for being unclear, what I'm wondering is would there be a version of hero-scaled nemeses so I can beat them from start to finish. I understand your point that post-campaign you can do skirmish mode but that would not give me much satisfaction.

Thanks for your patience and answers, though ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kosterix wrote:
How are the nemeses scaled to hero level then after the campaign, are there good rules for it in the manual?
Because the first few nemeses will need a lot of buffing vs the last few nemeses, it wouldn't be sufficient to just have them take less damage.

That my friend, would be entering spoiler territory.

What you should know is that in Aeon's End, each Nemesis has a rating according to a 1 to 10 rating system, that indicates both the difficulty and the complexity of the Nemesis, 1 being the easiest, 10 being the hardest.
There are very easy Nemeses out there, like Rageborne or Carapace Queen. And there are extremely difficult ones, like Magus of Cloaks or Wraithmonger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was afraid people would interpret it as asking for spoilers, I just want to know whether or not it has been described in rules. OK, if I read your words correctly I can post-campaign play the level-10 difficulty nemeses in campaign order. That would be awesome.

OK Backed it. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kosterix wrote:
I'm looking for an immersive story in 'big' games like these, and i don't care much about legacy (I find the whole ripping up thing atrocious), and if it has to be in campaign mode then so be it. Above and below also has story but it's incoherent.

Sorry for being unclear, what I'm wondering is would there be a version of hero-scaled nemeses so I can beat them from start to finish. I understand your point that post-campaign you can do skirmish mode but that would not give me much satisfaction.

Thanks for your patience and answers, though ;-)

For what it's worth, even though this is a legacy game, you don't ever rip things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering more about integrating the cards back in with the rest of Aeon's End content after the campaign.

Looking at Rahdo's runthrough, just for example, I wouldn't even want Ancient Cyanolith in my collection after the campaign. It appears to be just a more expensive Jade, and if it's NOT just a more expensive Jade but works with other cards or Mages, then it's still going to suck in the event that the randomizer deck doesn't spit out the required elements for synergy (or if it spits out Jade alongside it).

How many other cards in the game are like this (i.e., the same or more expensive than existing cards)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
I'm wondering more about integrating the cards back in with the rest of Aeon's End content after the campaign.

Looking at Rahdo's runthrough, just for example, I wouldn't even want Ancient Cyanolith in my collection after the campaign. It appears to be just a more expensive Jade, and if it's NOT just a more expensive Jade but works with other cards or Mages, then it's still going to suck in the event that the randomizer deck doesn't spit out the required elements for synergy (or if it spits out Jade alongside it).

How many other cards in the game are like this (i.e., the same or more expensive than existing cards)?

These are pretty much just limited to some of the initial 9 starting supply cards. This is done to help ease players into the game with simpler effects and to allow for room to grow the cards both in complexity and power from there on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:
danaolson wrote:

These are pretty much just limited to some of the initial 9 starting supply cards. This is done to help ease players into the game with simpler effects and to allow for room to grow the cards both in complexity and power from there on.

OK, cool. I had hoped it was something like this, but wasn't sure since I thought maybe existing cards would have just been reused.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.