Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Evans
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
What must you have for Gloomhaven that doesn't come in the box?

I have the Broken Token insert which is a big help, but the most essential item I have for playing this game is my Boogie Board to track initative.

What else are you folks using so that I might steal ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gardner
msg tools
mb
The map tray in the Broken Token organizer isn’t as easy to use as an accordion folder, I’d recommend one of those. Sure, the tiles all FIT, but it takes a while to find those you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
time.

And space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
time.

And space.

IOW, a TARDIS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
"Friends" is pretty up on the list, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Removable sticker pack, if you want to reset the game after finishing the campaign, or to keep the value up and sell it once finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagi Springfield
msg tools
Two things: A 25-slot accordion folder from walmart (about 8$) for the map tiles and three of those GMT black 20 slot chit trays (about 9 bucks at an FLGS) for monsters and status tokens. If it matters, get the chit trays first because you'll need to be able to find standees much more often than tiles.

Everything else fits nicely in the space between the insert and top of the character boxes in bags (not saying don't figure something out for those, but that's hardly essential).

Oh, and metal coins in silver and gold colors. You wouldn't think they're essential but they give such a... devious feeling when you loot 5 of them out from (literally) under your "allies".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Evans
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Joou wrote:

I play solo. No way I wait on my game group to get into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Evans
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
rathmax wrote:
Removable sticker pack, if you want to reset the game after finishing the campaign, or to keep the value up and sell it once finished.

I have this as well, but I intend to play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Evans
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nagi21 wrote:
Two things: A 25-slot accordion folder from walmart (about 8$) for the map tiles and three of those GMT black 20 slot chit trays (about 9 bucks at an FLGS) for monsters and status tokens. If it matters, get the chit trays first because you'll need to be able to find standees much more often than tiles.

Everything else fits nicely in the space between the insert and top of the character boxes in bags (not saying don't figure something out for those, but that's hardly essential).

Oh, and metal coins in silver and gold colors. You wouldn't think they're essential but they give such a... devious feeling when you loot 5 of them out from (literally) under your "allies".

The Broken Token has this with tuck boxes for each monster deck which hold associated standees. It also has the chit trays for status and damage. I have metal coins for Scythe that could work. Good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
time.

Isn't this true of all board games?

There's never enough time to play all the board games I want to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
time.

Isn't this true of all board games?

There's never enough time to play all the board games I want to play...

some more than others. There are some games you can whip out if you have half an hour or an hour to kill.
This is not one of those games, as it requires a much more sizable time investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricktor Black
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number one requirement, for anybody who doesn't already have one, is some kind of storage solution. You mentioned you have the Broken Token solution. I read all these threads about people getting storage solutions (before the game arrived) and I thought you were all crazy people with more money than you knew what to do with.

Then the game arrived.... on day 1 after punching out all the cardboard I was kind of stunned; it was almost impossible to pack and unpack the game. This is one game were some kind of storage solution is basically required, not just recommended. I'm still waiting for my Folded Space solution to arrive... I have all the cardboard pieces separated into kid's shoe boxes because it was almost impossible to manage the game without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomy Companion and any other monster hp/status tracking app.

With those I don't need the monster stat, ability, and modifier cards. That frees up plenty of room to use two Plano style boxes for various bits, a BCW box for remaining cards, and 4x6 plastic photos boxes holding everything for each player (note that I also use the player standees so no minis needed).

I can set-up for a scenario in less than 10 minutes so an expensive insert is not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We preferred dice for HP/XP tracking (1 ed.), as well as for monster health. A bunch of small d6's work well for early-mid game, but by the end you'll probably want a bunch of spin-down d20's.

A sheet/grid of numbers 1-100 for tracking initiative. We use one character marker for each player, and sets of large & small summon trackers (large for monster card, corresponding small for initiative sheet).

Opaque-backed sleeves for the road and city event decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Evans
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
wzdan wrote:
We preferred dice for HP/XP tracking (1 ed.), as well as for monster health. A bunch of small d6's work well for early-mid game, but by the end you'll probably want a bunch of spin-down d20's.

A sheet/grid of numbers 1-100 for tracking initiative. We use one character marker for each player, and sets of large & small summon trackers (large for monster card, corresponding small for initiative sheet).

Opaque-backed sleeves for the road and city event decks.

You really could use one of these...

https://smile.amazon.com/Boogie-Board-eWriter-Blue-J32220001...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MatRoc
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest to use D10 dice to track health.
D6 don't cover enough numbers and D20 get too fiddly... use 1 or two D10 works best for me.
Also I highly recommend using two different colors for normal/elite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:

I disagree here. This is a good way for people with no friends to pass the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tertius Gaudens
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
◉, ◉
badge
◉ ,◉
mbmbmbmbmb
MatRoc79 wrote:
I'd suggest to use D10 dice to track health.
D6 don't cover enough numbers and D20 get too fiddly... use 1 or two D10 works best for me.
Also I highly recommend using two different colors for normal/elite.

^^This. I got two sets of d12s (10 red and 10 yellow) on amazon for around $4 a set. I use them for normal and elite monsters respectively. This was a huge improvement over the tokens. With d12s, there's really no need for spin down dice, which can be pricey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
picklethehutt wrote:
Gloomy Companion and any other monster hp/status tracking app.

With those I don't need the monster stat, ability, and modifier cards. That frees up plenty of room to use two Plano style boxes for various bits, a BCW box for remaining cards, and 4x6 plastic photos boxes holding everything for each player (note that I also use the player standees so no minis needed).

I can set-up for a scenario in less than 10 minutes so an expensive insert is not required.

This! I use the iOS Gloomhaven Campaign Tracker, they just updated to include monster decks and tracking - to go along with individual player/character tracking, party tracking, map stickers, and all the other legacy aspects. I'm still using a removable sticker set cause I like to look at the physical map, but I cannot imagine tracking everything else without the app.

I also am very happy to have one of those accordion files for the map tiles, I also have a Broken Token insert but there is no way I'm taking the time to arrange the tiles to fit back in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mb
I also have the Broken Token insert and I love it. A lot of people don't seem to like the tray for the map tiles but I think it works great. For one thing, it fits in the box, which is a big plus. The box is big enough without adding even more stuff to carry around. Also, after playing the game 9 or 10 times, finding the piece you want is easy because you know the shapes well.

Besides the insert, I sleeved all of the cards (which still fit in the insert). This game is going to get a lot of use and reducing wear and tear is important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McCormick
England
Carlisle
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Must Have Accessary for Gloomhave
Can I get some links to accordion files?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imalrightjack wrote:
Can I get some links to accordion files?

This is the one I ordered from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B25NN64/ref=ox_sc_saved_im...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShinyFirefly wrote:
I also have the Broken Token insert and I love it. A lot of people don't seem to like the tray for the map tiles but I think it works great. For one thing, it fits in the box, which is a big plus. The box is big enough without adding even more stuff to carry around. Also, after playing the game 9 or 10 times, finding the piece you want is easy because you know the shapes well.

Besides the insert, I sleeved all of the cards (which still fit in the insert). This game is going to get a lot of use and reducing wear and tear is important.

If it's easy for you, go for it, I'm not sure I could pick out tiles by shape after 25 games - seems like 50% or more of the tiles are the same shape as 2-3 others. I have no idea how to easily get those tiles in the top tray of the Broken Token insert, it seems you have to play another mini-game of Tetris to get them back in there. I use the tray to hold my FAQ printout, the solo scenarios, fan scenarios, sticker set and a few extra minis I use for summons and chests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.