Revolver» Forums » Variants

Subject: High Noon - A bigger starting hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul S
Finland
flag msg tools
The variant is simple.

Instead of starting the game with 5 cards, both players draw 10. When you add this to the first draw phase, you'll get 10 + 2 = twelve o'clock High Noon in your hand.

I decided to try with a bigger starting hand because I've heard some players say that Revolver's luck element is too strong; that you'll win if you simply draw better cards than your opponent.

In my opinion, with 12 cards the players have a lot more options and they have a slightly better clue what kind of cards are coming later. What's more, this way they can plan their long term strategy better.

The variant has been tested only once with the base game. I had positive feelings but I would like to hear your opinions, too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting concept. I am not sure, though, how your drawing of 10 cards reduces the luck factor in the game. The 5 extra cards drawn can just as likely favor one player much more than the other, since the draw is random (if the decks are well shuffled prior to drawing).

I think the decks SHOULD be biased. Therein lies the challenge of the game. As I recall (and I might very well be wrong here), the bad guy and good guy decks are not the same, so the game was intentionally designed to be asymmetric.

There have been times I won, with what I would consider a weak hand, and there were times I thought I could not lose, but did. Plus, I think there are enough cards in the desk, that allow movement of placed cards to the new battlefield, which means the cards already played are never really dead. This often throws a wrench into the best laid plans.

I enjoy the game the way it is, but may try it the way you've suggested, to see where I land on your variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
Finland
flag msg tools
Hi Andre,

thank you for sharing your thoughts. You are correct that the 5 extra cards may favor the other gun slinger better than the other. However, If I for example draw eight firepower cards at the start, I know that there'll be likely less firepower coming during the next draw phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.