Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Greetings, Gloomhaven! My name is NovaScotia Electrolove Deluxe from the Glitter Nebula. What's yours?"

So, I unlocked the music note class, and I am absolutely in love with what I'm seeing and can't wait to play her next session. I'd been playing the Brute, and my favorite two class archetypes in tabletops are usually tank and support. I can only imagine supporting with the Soothsinger will be as fun as tanking with the Brute, so I'm excited! I've already given her a backstory and all, and in case you couldn't tell by her ridiculous name, she's Gloomhaven's most adorable little drag queen.

There's just one problem. The Personal Quest choices I drew were both to kill things. A large number of things. Specifically, I had the choice between killing 20 cultists/bandits or killing 20 different types of monster. I picked the second one just because I'm more interesting in eventually seeing the character that it unlocks, but either way, I feel like I'm screwed. The Soothsinger barely has any attacks on her ability cards at all. What a little drag queen and aspiring trophy hunter to do?

Now, I know not all is lost. Looking at the Soothsinger's perk list, I cannot imagine that I couldn't wreck monsters with even basic Attack 2's if I wanted to. There's definitely a build in here for it, no doubt. But the trouble is, well, that I want to play support. Is it possible for me to do this quest reasonably by playing support most of the time and just picking off low-HP monsters every once in a while when the opportunity comes up and when the party isn't relying on me to support them?

If you've had any experience with the Soothsinger or with other difficult character-quest combinations, please share your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ames
United States
New Glarus
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Her perks for the attack deck make it pretty strong though so when you DO attack you can be dangerous. You could look at getting some summons items if you find any to help. Then you get the benefit of your songs as well as the attack deck benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hurst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
DallasD wrote:
Her perks for the attack deck make it pretty strong though so when you DO attack you can be dangerous. You could look at getting some summons items if you find any to help. Then you get the benefit of your songs as well as the attack deck benefits.

Yeah, I'd read somewhere she has the strongest perks, and can make a crazy modifier deck. I'd read an attack based variant somewhere. It seems pretty niche as you'll require very specific items to make it work, the ability deck doesn't lend itself very well to attacking, and you're foregoing doing what she excels at - supporting.

She is a mercenary, though, so be as self-serving as you need? Mine has to witness exhaustions of allies, which will be slow going, but probably more attainable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
I unlocked the music note and draw the quest "kill 20 different enemies" and I was like: I'll never do this! (I did choose the other quest)

However, by the time I retired her, she was really strong. With the perks she got, she is quite good at killing things: focus on do as many attack as possible, the includes the following.

-buy objects that grant summons
-choose higher level cards that grant attacks, not at every level, but take some. Be sure to have 2-3 good attacks in the deck.
-do the solo scenario and pick up the item, which is the best in my opinion.

You don't need to kill every monster, you just need to land the killing blow on the right ones and with your perks, rest assure that you will.

She also make a ton of XP, this means that she levels faster, that means gaining perks at a faster rate.

Really, you can play support most of the time and land the killing blow when needed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
This one is not as bad as it looks. Music Note won't be attacking often, since she's a support, but she has a ridiculous perk deck and excellent initiative, so you can really make your few attacks count, reliably hitting monsters before they move for +1 or better. The solo scenario item will help a ton with this goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Chan
msg tools
I sort of have the same problem.

I have the personal quest of killing 3 lurkers, 3 oozes and 3 drakes, had to pick that one because the other personal quest unlocks a class that is already unlocked.

I built the Soothsinger as a curse machine with songs as support, if I play normally there'll be scenarios where I don't even need to draw from the attack modifier deck for the entire scenario.

I've done the oozes and the lurkers, haven't encountered the drakes yet, and I've just hit level 9 on the Soothsinger. And I remember playing those scenarios with the right monster types was really painful as it requires the whole team to help out, to weaken the monsters to near death, don't bring summons, don't play retaliate cards at the wrong moment, etc. It was just a lot of extra setup required for the Soothsinger to get the kills he needs. A shield or a split at the wrong moment could ruin the careful planning.

I guess our case is a little different because I only need to be on all out attack mode when I see the monsters I need, and can pick support cards on other scenarios.

I would say get all the +attack perks, and get your teammates to help you out on kills

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Hubble
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I specifically wrote a class guide for how to play her as a damage dealer:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/xMv3B

She has objectively the strongest attack modifier deck in the game, and can output huge melee damage with lots of effects, all while keeping everything disarmed. Try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
DallasD wrote:
You could look at getting some summons items if you find any to help. Then you get the benefit of your songs as well as the attack deck benefits.

Summons! Omg, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Good call, thanks!

mhl7 wrote:
Really, you can play support most of the time and land the killing blow when needed!

I think that's what I'm going to end up doing, yeah. And really, it's pretty easy to justify enough of the time. Sometimes, the best way to support the party is to just kill the monster yourself if you have the opportunity.

Uberdemnebelmeer wrote:
I specifically wrote a class guide for how to play her as a damage dealer:
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/xMv3B

I've seen this guide, and I think you did a fantastic job with it. My only issue is that, as I said, I do want to play her as a support character primarily. For example, the disarm for Crippling Chorus is great for your damage build that plans to be in the fray, but for somebody who'd rather be playing support and thus really doesn't want to be in melee, the bottom isn't as spammable. Thus, Echoing Aria is better (I understand retaliate isn't great, but I can see the bottom action seeing plenty of use as support, and the top action can have some niche usage against high-shield enemies) or even going back to pick Soothing Lullaby from level 2 (as an anti-poison measure on top and also to give this support character an actual healing card on bottom).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
msg tools
I definitely rode “Provoke Terror” through to my retirement. And even a halfway commitment to damage (get the helmet and dagger and you should have a few move 4-6 in a support build) will be able to kill some guys with your down time (you have a good amount).
20 different isn’t so bad. You just have to get 1 or types, so it’s better than, like, a bunch of one type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.