Popular Tags: [View All]
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Are the new cards with the expansions able to be used all the time, even when that expansion race is not being used ? There are new mechanics on some of them and I'm wondering if, without that race, they either don't work at all or aren't very effective or useful.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz W
msg tools
You can use them all. There are a few that are new race specific but I believe they all also say "If X race is not in play then do with the player to your left instead" or the equivilant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In prior threads, the general consensus seems to be to leave them in. I started off taking them out, but it just wasn't worth it.

However... as more expansions are added, I may backtrack on that, to avoid diluting the exploration deck too much.

But the bottom line is that it's easy to justify either route, so do whatever makes you happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only truly faction specific card is the Grand Nagus from the Ferengi expansion since it has a consequence for the two production it grants the player who is holding the card (free Ferengi access through your space). Otherwise it's just two production going around the table, I guess.

You can leave the arms dealers in regardless of Ferengi presence but personally I've found early encounters with them will dominate the game and have the intended effect of ramping up the arms race, and I'm not too keen on that. Weapons and shield upgrades should be earned the hard way through research, but I don't necessarily mind if the dealers show up mid-to-late game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the cards rely on a specific faction being in the game so they can all be left in.

The same goes for the systems that come in the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with the Borg yet, but it looks like you may want to leave those exploration cards out, but I didn't see any reason to strip the Cardassian or Ferengi exploration cards out. I also have the system discs all together except the homeworlds (transwarp hub for Borg).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally i keep all cards in.

The fun thing you can do is taylor the exploration deck towards a given theme by leaving out some of the cards, thereby increasing the odds of the other cards.

You could go for more dangerous exploration by leaving out virgin/safe cards.

You could go for more diplomacy, keeping all the diplomacy/civilization while taking out non-diplomatic crisis/discovery cards.
Etc.

Another option might be to steadily increase the threats;
Turn 1 iplomacy cards
Turn 2 : add civilization cards
Turn 3 add other discovery cards
Turn 4 add virgin cards
Turn 5: crisis cards
Turn 6 add the borg

Another interesting variant might be to let each player draw an exploration card at start and during every refresh phase, this card they can play during any player's turn whenever that player discovers A new or enters an empty planet system to add more player-controlled mayhem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just leave them all in all the time. No reason not to and no harm not having the respective expansion in the game. This goes for Cardies and Ferengi only (not the Borg).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always leave them in, with the exception of the Borg ones obviously. You need to remove those if you are not intending to use the borg as most of them cause borg to come into play in some form. That said, you can simply redraw a new card (which is what we do to save time taking them out) if you come across one of those.

As for the rest of the new exploration cards, there is no reason not to just leave them in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving them in means less work for more variety. They seem to have already figured out to use the "If ______ not in play, then" idea, but if any future expansion has any fully faction dependent card (or is a Borg related card), then it would be simple enough to just draw another card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent response ! Thanks to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
Generally i keep all cards in.

The fun thing you can do is taylor the exploration deck towards a given theme by leaving out some of the cards, thereby increasing the odds of the other cards.

You could go for more dangerous exploration by leaving out virgin/safe cards.

You could go for more diplomacy, keeping all the diplomacy/civilization while taking out non-diplomatic crisis/discovery cards.
Etc.

Another option might be to steadily increase the threats;
Turn 1 iplomacy cards
Turn 2 : add civilization cards
Turn 3 add other discovery cards
Turn 4 add virgin cards
Turn 5: crisis cards
Turn 6 add the borg

Another interesting variant might be to let each player draw an exploration card at start and during every refresh phase, this card they can play during any player's turn whenever that player discovers A new or enters an empty planet system to add more player-controlled mayhem.

Don't forget the systems. They can destroy a ship as fast as a crisis cards.

Turn 3 Add Stellar Phenomenon (and virgin cards, move discovery to Turn 4)

Turn 5 Add Hazardous Planets. (They can be more dangerous than Phenomenon).

Turn 6 Add the Borg Transwarp Phenomenon (Resistance is Futile).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.