Alex Colby
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Placeholder but I want to make a design diary for my next game as I'm working on it as a kinda living document.

So yeah, based on the phrase "A camel is a horse designed by committee" I want to make a game where you make "horses" comprised of a variety of pieces (some organic, some inorganic) to create a frankenstein/exquisite corpse type abomination to try and satisfy the specific desires of the Horse Design Committee, each with their own priorities.

I was thinking about what makes people like games and thought about games where you make something by the end, and the thing is silly, so things in the vein of Castles of Ludwig, Galaxy Trucker, and especially Great Dinosaur Race where you make a kind of dinosaur stick figure that depending on the current trends may emphasize limb length or number of spikes or height, which causes players to create bizarre dinos, which are also great sharing-bait (if I'm being cynical, that's free publicity ;p)

I don't have a prototype yet, but my current thoughts are a card drafting game where the cards are each a segment of the horse, allowing to kinda create a very long creature of "slices" made from horse, cow, bear, robot, car, spring, accordion, and whatever else I can think of. Each slice card would have a few qualities to it, and the goal is to make one horse that satisfies at least half of the committee members who each have specific priorities (heaviest horse, most metal, most legs, etc).

That's it for now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Great concept. With a nod to Galaxy Trucker, it would be interesting if after each build phase, you could 'run' your horse and see how it copes as the various components drop off one-by-one under the stresses of the task. Perhaps each re-building round could be targeted at a new design challenge, e.g. Show Jumping, Ploughing, Racing etc. Good luck with the project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Colby
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I had my first playtest today, and it was fun and definitely want to lean into the weirder combinations and having less restrictions on how to build, with that in mind I actually may pivot to a cryptid making game (bigfoot, nessie, etc) and there being a push your luck element to making it TOO fantastical maybe.

Again just a quick and dirty update haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the name and concept. I think the deadpan absurdity of the player creations always being "horses" would be funnier than involving Nessie and Bigfoot, but that's just me.

[Edit: And I love James' idea of challenges or scoring criteria also being determinedly, helplessly, horse-related. The judge who wants the most metal on a horse isn't judging "Most Robotic Horse", she's judging "Best Shoeing". The one who wants most legs is judging "Steadiest Gait". And so on.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.