Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc E

New Jersey
msg tools
mb
Crystalline Cave Special Rules:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
"If, on any monster's turn, it can move within range to attack the crystal, it will focus on the crystal and act out its turn normally."

In our game, this got a little wonky because:

After the first couple of turns, the crystal became nearly inaccessible due to a combination of traps and obstacles (hint: a Cragheart was involved). For much of the scenario, non-flying critters had to pass through a single hex which was sometimes occupied by a character.

I'm a little unsure about whether the scenario rule modified the behavior of traps, specifically:

When determining if a monster "can move within range to attack the crystal" whether it would treat traps as obstacles as per the normal focus/movement rules or if it would cross a trap it would normally avoid if this allowed it to move within range and attack.

In our game, we resolved this by

forcing the monster to take the long way around when determining if it would/could attack the crystal, unless that path was blocked by a PC in which case it would cross through a trap hex if that meant it could reach the crystal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you did this one right, except when traps are involved. If a monster can't reach its focus, it is free to choose a new one as normal. However, I think monsters would go through traps for this scenario, because it says "if a monster can move within range", not just "monsters prefer this target".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That does bring up an interesting question.
I would consider the scenario rule to override the standard monster focus rules.

so if a monster was able to move within range and attack the crystal, it would. If they were able to get within range without going through a trap, they would, but if they only way they could attack the crystal that turn involved going through a trap, they would do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc E

New Jersey
msg tools
mb
My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think that's how we ended up playing it. If the monster wasn't within movement range, it calculated going the long way. In at least one case, though, one did decide to go through a trap because it was within range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sathar wrote:
My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think that's how we ended up playing it. If the monster wasn't within movement range, it calculated going the long way. In at least one case, though, one did decide to go through a trap because it was within range.

If I interpret your quote of the special scenario rule correctly, monsters would only focus on the crystal if they are able to attack it that turn, otherwise, they would focus on a character as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The monster would move through a trap if it is the only way to get into a position to attack the crystal that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group just played this scenario last night... and we have no idea how we could win this one...

We are only about 10 scenarios in, and all at Level 2/3, and still 1 tick away from Prosperity Level 2. Brute 3, Tink 3, Cragheart 2 (though in the second scenario we played afterwards last night he leveled up to 3)

Just to make sure we're doing the math right, the Crystal will have 4+C+(2xL) HP, which with 3 players and Level 2, would be 11 HP right?

The Crystal barely lasted 4 rounds and we lost horribly.

I do like the idea of the Cragheart creating obstacles, but that won't stop the Fire Demons' range attack, nor will it stop the Earth Demons if they pull their ability card that gives them a range attack for the round.

We just decided to maybe come back to this one once we have stronger characters, or at least more abilities and/or attack modifiers that add Pierce to get through the Fire Demons' shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is a very interesting (and potential difficult) scenario. I had a few rule questions, which maybe can be eradicated here:

Scenario Book wrote:
The crystal has 4+C+(2xL) hit points. It cannot be healed and is not considered an ally to you. If, on any monster’s turn, it can move within range to attack the crystal, it will focus on the crystal and act out its turn normally. Otherwise it will choose itsfocus
following normal rules.

The crystal is not an ally. Does it count as an enemy or something else?
- Do area of effect attacks from players damage the crystal?
- Do Cragheart cards that do damage to adjacent allied and enemy figures damage the crystal?

After loosing the scenario in the second round, I gave it a second try and finished it
Like a few other side scenarios (I look at you #71) this scenario is very sensitive to bad luck and/or bad strategy. With some characters it might be impossible.
I won with Cragheart + Scoundrel, essentially playing a tabletop tower defense and maximising the distance and amount of traps the monsters had to overcome to get to the crystal. Helpful was a minor stamina potion on cragheart (as always), blessings from the temple on both characters and last but not least the right attack modifiers to eliminate key enemies at the right time. And some luck with one rather stationary elite flame demon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruleswise I think this is simpler than it appears.

First, you work out if the monster can reach a hex from where it can attack the crystal. If "yes", it will do so. If it can't avoid traps, it doesn't. It will still maximize any multi-target attack as normal.

If "no", it will act normal, as if there was no crystal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Playing it is an entirely different matter.

Previously when we played (high-levelled) Scoundrel, Two Minis, Brute, Spellweaver this probably would be no worries. We probably wouldn't have had to make up any special strategies; just starting out with a hard nova, wiping everything, and then killing the demons faster than they appear.

Now, with a Sun, Eclipse and a Music Note, our damage simply can't keep up and we got overwhelmed. In fact, we all feel this scenario suits this particular party composition horribly:
- the music note can't help the eclipse who wanders off doing its own thing (but not quickly enough to make a difference)
- the sun is helpless when monsters won't attack it; making tanking abilities worthless

Having a "support" third wheel really makes the game much harder. It really just shows how much better damage is than anything else. (This is not bad, just different). Damage stacks beautifully, and everything else is just a poor man's alternative.

Next time we really need a different approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.